U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about buying GM?
Less likely now, because of bailout 11 16.42%
Less likely now, because of economy 1 1.49%
More likely now, to show support 3 4.48%
More likely, just because I like the cars 20 29.85%
I wouldn't buy GM regardless 32 47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM

791 posts, read 1,205,268 times

Advertisements

GM has bad business managers....if they were so good at what they do, why would they EVER need a bailout?.....cant trust a company that has been stumbling for sooooo many years....union guys need to take a serious pay cut to stay working or lose their jobs to Canada...The End
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,066,722 times
Unions have needed pay and benefit cuts for years. Did you know that not too far back, $1500.00 of every new GM went to healthcare benefits? WTF?? Any untrained high school dropout would gladly use a robot to hang a bumper and wait for someone else to install the bolts and someone else to start the nuts and someone else to tighten them... for $15.00/hr instead of $25.00 or more... people are conditioned to pay what they're paying for vehicles now, so gm could lower prices some, and still make more money... fire the unions

Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,578,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Unions have needed pay and benefit cuts for years. Did you know that not too far back, $1500.00 of every new GM went to healthcare benefits? WTF?? Any untrained high school dropout would gladly use a robot to hang a bumper and wait for someone else to install the bolts and someone else to start the nuts and someone else to tighten them... for $15.00/hr instead of $25.00 or more... people are conditioned to pay what they're paying for vehicles now, so gm could lower prices some, and still make more money... fire the unions
I agree 100%. I still think a lot of the fault with GM rest on the shoulders of the UAW. GM had it the worst as far as the UAW goes. Billions of dollars a year in retiree benefits is just insane. Imagine the powerhouse GM would be today if it wasn't for the Unions.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:01 PM

5,737 posts, read 12,060,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I agree 100%. I still think a lot of the fault with GM rest on the shoulders of the UAW. GM had it the worst as far as the UAW goes. Billions of dollars a year in retiree benefits is just insane. Imagine the powerhouse GM would be today if it wasn't for the Unions.
Unions mean well, but they have gotten too much power and their demands on companies these days are ridiculous

Chrysler is very big with the UAW as well. I met a Chrysler employee the other day who was part of the UAW, nice guy

When I was in Vegas two weeks ago I was visiting a grocery store off the strip in the suburbs, the cashiers there make $16 an hour! because of unions

When I told them that back in Florida I only made $9.15 an hour they had this horrid look on their face as if to say "I would NEVER let myself get that low"

Unions are too powerful, and in today's times unnecessary. But at the same time companies shouldn't be able to treat their workers however they want to the point of abuse

Unions are a catch-22 IMO

Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,337 posts, read 22,838,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,630,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I definitely agree. It would be nice if American cars went back to looking and feeling like American cars.

Make cars with some rear overhang (although the Lincoln Town Car does have that). Make some cars with real chrome and whitewall tires. Make a true full-sized Cadillac and stop calling the mid-sized ones "full-sized." And try to minimize the alphabet-soup models ("CTS," "DTS," etc).
Thats exactly how i feel too! so I just came back from a trip to North Dakota. I went there to buy myself a new Chevy truck, well its new to me
( a 1935 pickup , 6cyl. 3 speed). I figure it lasted this long sitting in the field , with a little TLC I might get another 20 or 30 yrs. out of it. Driving it is going to be a little different though. No power windows , power steering, power brakes, but then that will be less to worry about having to repair. Who says GM didn't make good cars and trucks at one time. Oh yea, i got the wife a new convertible too while I was there ( well just like mine,it will be new to her). Its a 1922 Hudson phaeton, 7 passenger. Little TLC on hers also and we will be ready to head for the beach . Got to love a well madeAmerican automobile.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-31-2010 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 AM

1,739 posts, read 4,835,534 times
I want the phaeton!

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 AM

22,161 posts, read 26,671,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Thats exactly how i feel too! so I just came back from a trip to North Dakota. I went there to buy myself a new Chevy truck, well its new to me
( a 1935 pickup , 6cyl. 3 speed). I figure it lasted this long sitting in the field , with a little TLC I might get another 20 or 30 yrs. out of it. Driving it is going to be a little different though. No power windows , power steering, power brakes, but then that will be less to worry about having to repair. Who says GM didn't make good cars and trucks at one time. Oh yea, i got the wife a new convertible too while I was there ( well just like mine,it will be new to her). Its a 1922 Hudson phaeton, 7 passenger. Little TLC on hers also and we will be ready to head for the beach . Got to love a well madeAmerican automobile.
Congrats on your "new" truck.

I sometimes see a 1930s or 1940s truck at the weekly car gathering and they do get a lot of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive