U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM

892 posts, read 1,847,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I've seen it now! Words escape me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

13,695 posts, read 13,573,646 times
I have heard of stories over here in England of mishaps where people owning a vehicle called a Reliant Robin have put their vehicle in an inspection bay.

What's the big deal you may ask?

Scroll down below for a picture of this Reliant Robin and go figure............

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/Jezer57/Relaint.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,037,864 times
I'll tell this one on myself, but consider it from the mechanics angle.

I replaced the front wheel bearings on my pickup in the parking lot of the BOQ at Ft. Benning, Ga. I'd never done that before and was so proud of myself!

When I took it for a test drive, the right front started grinding and squeaking something awful so, after about 5 or 6 blocks, I pulled into the post garage concession. They weren't busy, so it went up on the lift immediately and the mechanic took the wheel off and went to work.

After just a couple of minutes, he scratched his head and said this:

"Well! That's a new one me. I've never seen bearings put on backwards before. I didn't even think you could do that! Who's the f'n idiot you've got working on your car?"

Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM

783 posts, read 1,947,246 times
I actually read every thread of this really long post. Great stuff! A couple of stories from a customer’s perspective:

Some years ago I went to a local mechanic (the guy worked from his home but he was a professional, competent guy) for a new rear tire for my BMW R-1100R motorcycle. Around ten pm that night I’m about twenty miles from home and I get a flat in the rear tire. I call the mechanic up to see if he could help. The guy came right over with his pick-up, loaded my bike in the back and was most apologetic, saying things such as he be royally PO’d if it were his bike, etc. Meanwhile I’m telling the guy I have no reason to believe this flat had anything to do with the work he had done and not to worry about it.

Anyway, the guy was nice enough to drive me home after we dropped the bike off at his home/shop.

Next day I went over to get my BMW. Turns out, I’d picked up a nail on the road during my evening drive. The flat had nothing to do with with his work at all. As I then told my mechanic buddy, wouldn’t I have looked like a jerk (I used a stronger word, one banned on this forum) had I accused him of shoddy work when I didn’t know what the problem was?

Rich

Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM

783 posts, read 1,947,246 times
Another incident happened in South Carolina. On vacation from Cape Cod, we were around 150 miles from our destination when the brake light went on and the brake pedal sank. Uh-oh.

Got to our B&B (drove VERY carefully) and the woman there gave us the name of a shop in town (tiny town, Pendleton I believe). I was the first customer there the next morning. The shop (a very small place) put the car on a lift (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and determined that one of the brake lines has a rust hole in her.

The guys gave me a ride back to the B&B, picked me up later that afternoon when the new brake line had been installed and the bill was around $200 (more then fair).

Rich

Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM

9,328 posts, read 11,253,172 times
Thumbs up Fix your air....

My air conditioning did not work in my car so I took it to ____ Auto.

The mechanic said I needed $ 800 worth of work to get my air running nice...

I left his shop immediately .....

The next day I was talking to a co-worker and she said her husband was an honest mechanic....

After work, I drove over there and he looked under the hood.....

He grabbed a tool out of his tool box and tinkered around a minute and said " Okay, there you go. That should fix it "

I said " What did you do ? " He said he tightened a belt or ( something ) , turned on my air and it worked great !

I asked him how much I owed him and he said " Nothing " I tried to pay him money but he REFUSED .

I said please take this $ 20 and go have some lunch. You saved me some BIG money !

He reluctantly took it because I laid it on his tool box and walked away...

Now that's honest

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,958,369 times
May have told this one before so will apologize first.

Had a VW engine rebuilding and repair shop.

Woman comes in with a rough running engine. I narrow down the problem as a burnt valve on on head (left side). Give her the alternatives and a estimate as required by law.

She okays the repair and I do the job.

Three months later I get a phone call from another VW shop owner (we are friends in the trade) saying this woman is complaining of my bad work she had paid me. Larry (shop owner) says that the other side had a bad valve and NOT the side I replaced. I also did machining for him as I had the equipment.

Reality is that mechanics cannot see inside an engine untill it is taken apart for a true estimate of repairs.

Asking a general question of a repair may end up with a $800 quote as in a early post.

When people would ask me the cost of a repair I would sometimes ask them what part they want me to replace and I would give them the actual total down to the penny...parts and labor.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,367,606 times
Back in the 80's, my mom bought her first new car......a Chevette.....yeah I know, but whaddya gonna do after the fact.

Anyway several years later she called and said it needs a head gasket, saying the local GM dealer that sold her the car had made an estimate. So I schedule a 3 day vacation at work, load my top chest toolbox into the truck and drive halfway across the state. She shows me the estimate from the dealer - $850! It was out of warranty.

She heads inside and I head to her car. As she's making lunch, I slam the hood. Job done! It was a broken plastic PVC fitting - and I actually had one in the toolbox.

She was thrilled. I drove the car to the dealer and handed the service writer the estimate AND the broken plastic fitting. Nuff said!

A great day and a great dinner at mom's house.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,958,369 times
Not a customer but a mechanics true tale.

My dad a mechanic went from Calif back to Ont Canada for a family visit.

A cousin said that a mechanic told him that the car he had needed new rings because of burning oil.

"NO WAY" dad said...the valves needed new seals and thats all.

My cousin Steve did just that which fixed the oil burning. Growing up he was referred to BIG STEVE and I was LITTLE STEVE due to our age difference.

Shame what some mechanics will do to a honest trade for many.

Steve

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM

28,894 posts, read 15,973,677 times
This thread has got to be not only the most informative but the funniest in this forum! My hat's off to you guys that have to deal with the public every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or