U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times

Advertisements

haha best thread in a long time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
Audi Fox female customer, 4 new tires and a tune up complete. next day she drive the kids to school and stops in to complain the car has no power. I pulled the car in and in the doing found the rear tires were not turning a bit. I had her driven home and called her husband.

She had set the parking brake on a rainy cold night and the ice froze the drums so bad that while the hand brake was down a real thaw needed to take place and the rear tires were brand new trash.

I got lots more.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times
Had installed a rebuilt engine into a VW bug with a one yr warranty. After a couple of months comes back complaining of the engine smoking out the tail pipe. (I'm thinking a bad piston or rings). I start to remove things and then notice a SMELL. Checked the Carb...spk plugs and then the gas tank. He had put Diesel fuel in the tank after running out of gas on the road. Guess he could not read the sign on the station pump that stated "DIESEL".

Steve

Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Not me, but old story about a gal with an early 50's car with a manual choke, one of the rigs that has the choke, headlights, and windshield wiper knobs in a row on the dash. Lady complained of bad gas mileage. Mechanic drove car, it drove fine, no obvious sign of bad running. Gave car back to lady with the diagnosis "can't find anything wrong with it".

Mechanic watches as lady gets in car, pulls the choke knob halfway out, hangs her purse on it, and starts car to leave..."Hey wait a minute I think I have figured your problem out" - !

I don't know if this is true or not - good anecdote IMHO anyway.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM

3,876 posts, read 7,232,979 times
Yeah, i've heard of similar things happening with various levers around cars.

Men AND women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not me, but old story about a gal with an early 50's car with a manual choke, one of the rigs that has the choke, headlights, and windshield wiper knobs in a row on the dash. Lady complained of bad gas mileage. Mechanic drove car, it drove fine, no obvious sign of bad running. Gave car back to lady with the diagnosis "can't find anything wrong with it".

Mechanic watches as lady gets in car, pulls the choke knob halfway out, hangs her purse on it, and starts car to leave..."Hey wait a minute I think I have figured your problem out" - !

I don't know if this is true or not - good anecdote IMHO anyway.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,283,477 times
Awesome thread guys, keep em coming.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
Guy comes in with a coolant leak on the carpent. 140 series Volvo, and it is high summer and hot. The cable operated valve is dead and leaking on the hump at the fire wall. I drain the coolant from the engine, and yank out that valve. New one goes in new coolant and flush. A test for heat in summer yuck, and a test drive, where I open the kick pannel vent for cooler air.

Next day the guy calls and he can't turn off the cold air. I tell him, oh yeah, check the kick pannel vent, and he blows a nutty on the phone telling me what a fool I am, that yada yada his car has no such vent.

I tell him drop in any time and I will show you where it is and turn it off, He blows another nutty, telling me I am the worst mechanic he has ever seen..

He shows up all hot and bothered, and I opened both doors so he could see, and said here!; flipping the knob on the vent lever both ways to make noises with the flapper. 'ave yee a nice day Sir.. (owned)
.................................................. ..............
note to self: Generous Electric

Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,820,576 times
Not a shop mechanic, but I do some mechanics on cars I get

I got an Eclipse from a girl who said the car wouldn't go over 15mph cause of a bad tranny. Granted the tranny was indeed slipping, but as long as it was allowed to shift gradually that thing would go to 100mph.

I got an El Camino from an old man who said he had to drive with two feet. All that was needed was some quick adjustment to the idle.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
I once watched from a distance as two high school kids exploded a battery while in the process of jump starting. Boy did my ears ring.

Wife is friends with local Chrysler dealership's mechanics. Went to visit some during the work day and the place stunk like at a truck stop. We asked what that smell was and they pointed at a brand new Chrysler 300 and said a woman put diesel in the tank. Wife asked when did she figure out what she'd done wrong. Mechanic said, "when it died on her".

Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 5,276,562 times
This thread should be made a sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or