U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,953,604 times

Advertisements

As I said there are many stories of customers and their beliefs. This thread is NOT a bashing thread but a little insight into the minds of some people. I will start off with a couple of instances and you guys feel free to fill in your tales. Lets have some fun.

A customer brings his car in for a tune up. I do the job and a week later comes back com plaining the car has NO power. I double check everything and NO problems. Go for a road test and the gas pedal feels strange. Check under it and find a small plastic toy ball about 1 in in dia under the pedal. Problem solved. Showed this to the customer after asking if he had any small kids.

Install clutch into car..everything shifts fine. Week later customer returns saying that his wife and daughter both are grinding the gears...he has NO problem shifting. Turns out that the women wore high heels and as such the pedal was not pressed all the way to the floor and thus grinding the gears. I adjusted the pedal to compensate for the problem. Happy customer...some things you learn.

Okay guys...I started it and do have more to post later...please follow thru with your experiences.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
A lady calls the shop and says her car won't start. After the usual questions ( is it cranking over and not starting or is it not cranking over at all) she tells me it's cranking over but making a funny sound. Then she says wait a minute. I can hear her walking out the door. Next thing she's saying " OK honey, try it again and holds the phone out to the engine. Next thing I hear is the engine turning over but not starting. Then she says "what do you think it is and how much will it cost to fix it".

It took a while to convince her it had to be towed in but she finally understood. Don't remember what her problem was but she was back on the road the next day.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM

432 posts, read 3,008,105 times
One time i took my car in for an oil change. As soon as the oil change was done i turned on the ignition to the car and blue smoke started to come out of the engine comparment. I opened the hood and there was oil all over the top of the engine. They told me that it must have been like that before i brought it in.

Wait, I think I'm posting this in the wrong thread.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,340,306 times
Customer came in for a oil change, came back the next day and said we gave her spare tire a flat.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,202,862 times
I deal on the other side, I deal from an insurance POV. I have heard several times, "so i was rearended and now my CD player doesn't work?"

Really, from a 5 mphs impact in a parking lot?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,953,604 times
Thanx guys...laughed so hard had tears in my eyes...keep them coming.

Steve

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,851,783 times
me and my buddy decided to "change the oil" in his 84 thunderchicken...he just turned 16, i was 15. so, we headed to the parts store and bought 5 quarts of oil, then proceeded out to the car. opened the hood, pulled the oil cap off and started in with 5 quarts of oil. car started up, but when we took off, there was this amazing cloud of completely white smoke following us...cars had to literally pull off the road! awesome.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM

2,715 posts, read 9,121,633 times
Lady came in complaining of noise coming from her rear. Turned out she had a bowling ball loose in her trunk.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM

3,876 posts, read 7,236,264 times
As I said on the other thread, there was the customer who's clutch we replaced, and he brought the car back a couple of days later because the cassette player had stopped playing tapes, and he thought it was our fault.

We had one woman booked her car in because there was no sound on the radio.
Quick adjustment of the balance and fader controls, and BINGO ! It's a miracle !

We had the man who's oil light came on 10 miles from home, but he decided "just to drive it home and book it in later".
I'm sure I don't need to tell you how that game ended.

There was the woman who's Renault made a "clunk clunk" noise.
we took it in, and no matter what we did, we just could not make it make the noise, so gave her it back, and told her to keep an eye on it.
2 days later, back it came, same problem. We tried again, but the car was fine, we could find nothing wrong with it.
Turns out, the "clunk clunk" noise only happened when she crossed the Forth road bridge, and the clunking was the car crossiing the expansion joints between road sections.

We also had the dangerous ones.
The guy who's rear wheel bearing on his Jaguar had worn to the point where the whole thing fell apart as we winched it onto the truck.

The woman who booked her car in for a "squeaking sound"
The squeaking sound in question was that there was no friction material left on any of the front brake pads, and obviously hadn't been for some time. The discs were so badly scored they disintegrated as they were tapped to remove them from the hub.

There are probably more if I think about it, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
A guy came in with a Toyota truck he just put front pads on and it was grabbing and making an awful grinding noise. Yes, he put the drivers side outer pad on backwards, metal backside against the rotor. And drove it about 10 miles that way to the shop. At least I didn't get blamed for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or