U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 359,537 times

Advertisements

I just bought a car and will need to sell my current one. I'm not looking to make the most money possible but I am looking for a safe and efficient way to sell it. I thought about Craig's list but I heard that can be a little dangerous. The car I'm selling is not really in demand. It's a 2004 Hyundai so I'm hoping I can get 5 or 6K for it. What would you guys recommend? And what tips or advice would you recommend to ensure safety. I don't want to have a check bounce. I've been told asking for a money order and agreeing to meet at a public neutral site ( a Starbucks) is one way to protect yourself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,754,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I just bought a car and will need to sell my current one. I'm not looking to make the most money possible but I am looking for a safe and efficient way to sell it. I thought about Craig's list but I heard that can be a little dangerous. The car I'm selling is not really in demand. It's a 2004 Hyundai so I'm hoping I can get 5 or 6K for it. What would you guys recommend? And what tips or advice would you recommend to ensure safety. I don't want to have a check bounce. I've been told asking for a money order and agreeing to meet at a public neutral site ( a Starbucks) is one way to protect yourself.
Put an ad in the paper, or a local credit union paper in the nearest town that has enlisted men and women.

Preferably, a town with a large base. Most states have at least one. It is a sure fire way to sell a vehicle!

BTW, they can get into BIG trouble if they don't pay their debts.

Some civil service individuals as well as enlisted men and women can/will lose their jobs for having poor credit scores or high debt, etc. It all boils down to national security.

Many civilians not affiliated with the armed forces, fail to realize that the gov't keeps track of many of its employees in this way.

It makes it/them a safer bet when selling something.

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-28-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM

5,010 posts, read 12,814,656 times
Use Craigslist, it's free. You can also use Autotrader, but it costs about $50 to list.

Your problem will be selling a car like that. As you said, not really in demand.

DO NOT TAKE A CHECK. Cash / cashiers check / money order only, unless they have their own financing and the check reflects that.

Meet somewhere convenient for the prospective buyer, but in public. I met in shopping center parking lots, that seemed easiest.

It would be probably be easier and simpler to take the car to Carmax and get them to make you an offer on it.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,842,800 times
Demand has everything to do with price. If you price something low enough you will sell it. You will have no problem selling your car but you will probably have to ask 2K less than Blue book. Carmax is not a good idea. It's comparable to trading a car in to a dealership. In other words, you will get taken for a ride and given peanuts for your vehicle.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
"best way" ... in what manner?

Price addresses everything, especially if you have a car that's not in demand.

Easiest would be to consign it to an auto auction with no reserve. It's going to sell, but at a low value.

Next easiest would be a used car lot on consignment, and let them earn their fees.

Everything else you can do to "sell" this car will require your active participation ... advertising, showing the car, making the deal, being sure you get good funds, transferring ownership paperwork. Do you want to take on this project to try to get more dollars?

If you're not up to the task of marketing your car and selling it, then a Carmax deal may be a good option for you. You've already accepted that the car isn't very strong in the market ... so what would make you think it would be worth more by you putting all your time and energy into trying to locate a capable buyer at higher dollars? The buyer who comes to you as a private seller on this type of vehicle is someone looking for a much better deal than they can get at a used car lot where they are buying from a licensed business, maybe even with some representations of a guaranty. What have you got?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,814,656 times
You'll get somewhere between what Carmax offers you and regular retail selling it yourself.

You want $5500, Carmax will give you $3500, and you can probably sell it yourself for $4500. It may take only a few days, or it could take weeks to sell it yourself.

It's really up to you whether or not the hassle of listing it, driving to meet people, dealing with the general idiots you will have to talk to, wading through all the crap, is really worth it to you.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,376,036 times
What's the world come to when it is dangerous to sell your car? Life isn't that way in NH where I live yet.. Last time i bought a vehical it was a big bike private sale, and I went to the guys house cash in hand, looked over the bike all I wanted, paid the guy first, rode the bike around in his cull de sac and went back for the paper work.

Things with big bikes are a little different. That bike was 9 g's too.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,524,609 times
If you live in a State where the license plates do NOT transfer to the new owner....TAKE THE PLATES OFF before you turn the car over to the buyer. Yeah, you'll hear "how do I get it home?" and all that, but unless you know the buyer, take the plates off.

A friend's daughter left the plates on a car she sold because the guy said he'd "bring them right back". Well, he didn't...he drove the car for six months racking up scores of parking tickets and ultimately getting into a shootout with the police. It was just an enormous hassle for her that she could have avoided....

Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
To tell you the truth ;word of mouth is ho9w i have sold all my vehiucles. that is especailly true ig you keep tehm up well and friends know it. The word spreads pretty quickly. Often I have people who say fi you ever want to sell your car :I am interested.That is how i sold the last two;called first person and they bought them.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 PM

510 posts, read 1,775,591 times
I have sold vehicles on Ebay, craigslist, and also cars.com. I bought a car from craigslist. How bout having the car cleaned, and park it in the train station parking lot with for sale signs on it....I see a lot of people doing that in the town I live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive