Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
most of the time cleaning out the mouse stink and fuzz. Them little buggers are up the defroster in my plow truck right now. I gotta get a hungery cat.
We have mice in my good lady's Olds just now. She tried to put poison down, but I reckon it musta attracted every mouse for miles !
Gotta have a go at getting the little sh*ts out soon. Gonna clean all their sh*t off the engine bay and stick a few drier sheets around, see if it'll do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Well, as it turned out, the engine wasn't really rebuilt, they got it from a salvage yard, and they cleaned it up and repainted it to make it look like it was rebuilt.

Rattlecan reconditioning. ripping off parts buyers for years !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:06 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL exciting huh? I never did pull that stunt. How did the clothing handle the wash
That's more excitement than I ever wanted, trust me! If I remember correctly, I ended up throwing the t-shirt away not long after that because I let it sit for couple of days after the acid bath, and holes started appearing in it.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Oooh, I got to be a part of allll kinds of fun stuff growin up in a shop

There were the potato cannons of course, made out of spare parts (exhaust pipes etc.), putting crazy loud dual exhaust on a forklift, making go carts out of plastic beer coolers and my favorite to date....

If you get a used fuel filter off of a truck (metal ones that hook in underneath the chassis towards the middle) and hook one end up to an air hose, and then put a lighter on the other side...well... let's just say there wasn't any need to rake leaves in the back of the shop that fall

Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
WE found one of those electric 6v kiddie cars, since we didn't have a 6v battery, we threw on a 12v one.

It was very fast, but only for a very short period of time !!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
Good to hear your new wife is good Mac Muz. I'm still young, but I learned a long time ago that you can fix a car, but you can't fix a woman.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Mike once in Miami I made 1 truck of 2 real bad beaters.. In the doing I got ate up by a nest full of red ants living under a rubber floor mat, and had the clothing eatten off me as i worked due to getting into too many dead batteries. I wore those cloths a lot in the warm weather there, and called em Shark Bite, more holes than cloth.

I saw a shop I was woking in go Boom, which lifted the roof, but I had nothing to do with it. It did ring my bell though, for weeks.....

Bobman, better git a hungery cat eh?

Jet, get familar with spark plugs ok?

Continental, ya can always trade up right

Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Another mishap at an auto repair shop happened in 1999. I had a 1993 Dodge Dakota and I took it in for service. It had a manual 5-speed transmission, but for some reason it didn't have the clutch safety device, which won't start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed all the way down. When I pulled into the service bay, I shut off the engine and I locked the transmission in first gear, but I didn't set the parking brake. The mechanic started the engine and the truck went rolling forward into a big tool rack and it pushed it into a block wall. They damaged the front bumper and one of the headlights, but they fixed everything, and nobody was hurt.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Don't know if I should tell this one or not

While working at a Nissan dealership in the late 80's, there was a run of pickups (they were called hardbodies for some reason) that left the factory with main bearings having a little too much clearance, causing a slight knock upon cold start. The factory caught the problem and provided a kit with new bearings, gaskets, etc to take care of the problem before they ever left the lot.

The tech in the bay next to me was doing this repair one day on a brand new black truck. Not a bad job at all since everything was new and clean. First job that day I was given a no start on an old ragged out 260Z. Didn't take long to figure out the problem. The battery died so the owner tried to hook up a set of jumper cables but got them reversed and...well you know.

I got a new battery, fixed a few wires and replaced a couple of battery cables and tried to start it. Nothing but a loud click. Got to looking a little deeper and turns out when he reversed the cables he also fried the ECM and in turn all the injectors were stuck open. All of the cylinders were totally full of fuel.

After unplugging all of the injectors I pulled all of the plugs (inline 6cyl) and gas started running out of each cylinder. The plan was to to keep bumping the key and slowly push all the gas out of the cylinders. Well... apparently I forgot about disabling the ignition Next thing I knew I had six mini flamethrowers spraying the side of that brand new pickup in the bay next to me. One of the loudest noises I've ever heard. I think everyone from salesmen to secretaries came to see what that explosion was.

Luckily no one was hurt and I actually got to keep my job. Got to give it to Nissan (at least back then), they sure had some tough paint. Couple guys from the used car dept. cleaned off the side of the truck and put a coat of wax on it and it looked as good as new.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Back when I was checking under hoods and doing minor repairs at a taxi company, we used to have a blast in the garage when the bosses weren't around. Fire extinguisher fights, oil fights (we had those hoses that hung down from the ceiling with a trigger on the end of it to fill the engines with oil after changes--fun getting motor oil out of your hair), and glueing one another's tools to the benches.

Lot's of crazy characters working there. One guy hacked up the shop foreman in his office with a machete after getting reprimanded over somthing trivial. Good times.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
Oh yeah, great times. Machete fights are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive