U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Back when I was checking under hoods and doing minor repairs at a taxi company, we used to have a blast in the garage when the bosses weren't around. Fire extinguisher fights, oil fights (we had those hoses that hung down from the ceiling with a trigger on the end of it to fill the engines with oil after changes--fun getting motor oil out of your hair), and glueing one another's tools to the benches.

Lot's of crazy characters working there. One guy hacked up the shop foreman in his office with a machete after getting reprimanded over somthing trivial. Good times.
I had to go back and re-read your post. I first thought you said he hacked up the shop foreman's office with a machete. Then after reading it again...

Speaking of reels hanging from the ceiling, did you ever crank up the shop air and see how far the grease gun would squirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,202,862 times
Lets see. Someone states their vehicle was parked outside their home when someone hit it overnight. Go out to the shop, entire left side has yellow paint and cement grains in the panels. Ask the person if the car was really hit by another car or you scrapped a pole. Person states it was parked and someone hit it. I then tell him there is cement grains in the panels which only happens when the vehicle is in motion. Person says maybe the car that hit was a cement truck and some of the dried cement got onto his car.

...oooookkkkkkkk

Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,236,264 times
I did once replace the clutch on a Mini, only to find out i'd forgotten to fit the clutch bearing before putting the gearbox back on !

Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,822,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Lets see. Someone states their vehicle was parked outside their home when someone hit it overnight. Go out to the shop, entire left side has yellow paint and cement grains in the panels. Ask the person if the car was really hit by another car or you scrapped a pole. Person states it was parked and someone hit it. I then tell him there is cement grains in the panels which only happens when the vehicle is in motion. Person says maybe the car that hit was a cement truck and some of the dried cement got onto his car.

...oooookkkkkkkk
Some people play mailbox baseball, some people play car baseball with a yellow cement pole. Strong like bull!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,202,862 times
I was JUST told "my car stopped working because someone put sugar in my gas tank." Now I'm not a machanic but well before I started driving I heard this was a myth. Can someone confirm this?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,953,604 times
A myth?...not really. That all started way back in the early 50's with putting sugar cubes inside a persons gas tank if you were MAD at them for some kind of revenge in mind or just VANDALISM.

What happened was that the cubes disolved inside the tank and gummed up the lines to the fuel pump and fouled the carb that required an expensive repair down the line.

A few yrs back before retiring had a customer tow her car to my shop with that problem. She lived in an Apt complex and someone was MAD at her or adults/kids were to blame. I suggested she get a locking gas cap.

Steve

Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Funny you would mention sugar in gas. I put some sugar cubes in gas in a quart jar, never noticed much dissolving of the sugar cubes. Not a scientific test of course.

Compared to what problems you can get with dirty FI systems, rebuilding a carb, blowing out some fuel lines, maybe even dropping the gas tank to have it "boiled out" seem pretty simple and easy.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,953,604 times
The sugar has a tendency to slowly interfer with gas flow in the lines and will ruin a fuel pump and clog a main or idle jet in a carb. Takes a while to get it all out...air by itself will not force out disolved liquid sugar from the lines.

I have done all those things and dropped a tank to be flushed. Not too hard for a mechanic...just an inconvience to the customer and expensive.

Steve

Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,371,764 times
I never saw any edge weapons play in my shop, but if I did it would have been grounds for a shooting.. A tech called in for a repremand pulling that would first be FIRED then shot dead.

I did suffer one fool on a saturday who was out of his head and wanted a fist fight with me. My great dane objected. The guy told me to tie the dog out, and I told him, that if he wanted the dog tied out, to do it himself. The next thing he saw was one of my.45 pointed in his face, with a stern warning to leave now walking, or leave later dead. It was all the same to me. He wasn't a customer either.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
Another story

Got a Chevy truck in making an awful sound when cranking over. Raised it up on a drive on lift and it didn't take long to determine the flexplate was broke. Tore the center out of it.

Got the ok to fix it so started to pull the transmission. After all these years I try to do the least amount of work to get the job done. I just decided to get the trans back far enough to get to the bolts in the crank and drop the old flexplate out and get the new one in. I know most people would have dropped the trans completely out but I figured I'd try it my way first.

Everything was going good. Got the driveshaft out, got the trans jack under it and got the crossmember out of the way. Figured there was enough slack in the cooler lines so I left them alone. Got the torque converter and bell housing bolts out and pried the trans back about three inches and held it there with wood blocks.

So far so good. Until it was time to break the flexplate bolts loose. Normally with the trans out of the way, it's one hit with the impact but no room for that with my shortcut. No problem. 18" strong arm and a flywheel holder should do the trick. Nope. Too tight.

So I grab a 3' piece of exhaust pipe and slide it over the strong arm. Plenty of leverage now. Broke 4 bolts loose like they weren't even tight to start with. Did I mention I was on a drive on lift? And my back was against the lift? Start on the next bolt and the socket breaks. Guess where the end of that 3' pipe came to rest. In my right eyebrow. YIKES. With my back against the lift it made a pretty solid hit with no room to give. I didn't know a person could bleed so much just by looking down. Like turning on a faucet.

Three hours and six stitches later I found a stronger socket and went back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or