U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times

Advertisements

This topic may go over like a fart in a diving suit but after reading all the crazy customer stories, how about tellin' a few on ourselves? You know, some of the crazy things we've done pertaining to cars be it working on, driving or just anything automotive.

I guess I should go first.

I was still in high school and working part time in a gas station with a few of my buddies back when they still had full service gas pumps. The building sat in front of a little strip shopping center. This particular station wasn't all that busy so we'd have to find ways to keep ourselves amused at night. One night we pulled the service vehicle, a '66 Dodge station wagon with a slant 6 inside and raised it up on the lift to where the tires were just barely touching the floor. One of us got in it, started it and put it in drive and started doing a burnout. Not bad but could be better. Then one of us got the idea to put a little 10w40 under the tires to see what would happen. That did it. The world's biggest and best indoor burnout.

The entire building filled up with smoke and we were laughing so hard I guess we didn't hear the car pull up to the pump for gas til he started blowing his horn. One of us waited on the customer and when he left we did it again. Except this time it wasn't a car at the pumps. It was a siren on the fire truck coming to put out the fire. Someone from the shopping center called the fire department. All they could see was the back of the building and smoke coming from somewhere and assumed the building was on fire.

It took a lot of explaining to the fire fighters but after a while they couldn't resist and wanted to see just how we could make so much smoke.
Not a problem. Climbed back in that old Dodge wagon an showed them what we did. They weren't all that impressed and made us stop.

We were lucky none of us were killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Back in the late 1980s bored racing teens played a dangerous game at a local Walmart parking lot. This was one of those small Walmarts back before they became supersize. The parking lot was made in an unusual design. There was a two way center lane going from the main road to the front doors of the store. On each side of the lane were concrete baracades acting as dividers to separate the lane from the parking spaces. The entrance to this lane from the main road had a very large and deep ditch on each side of the entrance. Keep in mind that this was the late 1980s and the types of cars available. The teens would wait until the Walmart was closed and the parking lot nearly empty. Two cars would pull into the lane from the main road and stop even with each other. Someone waived to start the race. They hit the gas to go as fast as they could towards the Walmart's front doors. At the last possible moment, they hit the brakes and turned doing a 180 in opposite directions then hit the gas again going hard towards the ditch. They then hit the brakes at the last possible moment to stop just before and without going into the ditch. None hit the doors to the Walmart but the cops started patrolling the parking lot more often after several cars did a nose dive into the ditch. This was before air bags and seatbelt laws so some of those guys ended up in the hospital. I was 18 at the time with a Camaro and watched them from my job where I flipped burgers. Always thought, "what an idiot!"

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
I'll have to think about this topic more, as my memory on my doing fools works isn't happening, while I am sure I have accomplished a lot of fools work just the same.

One take that deals with me and my now x wife, not to be confused with my now current wife might be fitting.. Just because my x wasn't a customer, and she had the idea she knew something about cars. What she thought, most often was wrong too.

The phone at work rings, and it's her. She was driving a 2 door 140 series Volvo, stick shift, and she tells me the tranny went to lunch. I don't say a lot, because it's pointless, and tell her 'I will be right there dear', she is still talking when I hang up the phone.

I hope in my 122 Amazon Volvo pick up, something I made from a 2 door door 122. I get to where she is apx 15 miles or so from the shop, and tell her to take my car and just go home, or go shopping, or what ever else she had in mind.

She looks at me as if I just arrived from Pluto , and repeats the tranny is trashed. I get in her car, and step on the clutch pedal, which drops like a rock to the floor boards. I figured that would be 'IT'. I shifted the around and the tranny felt fine.

I repeated you go where ever you want, I'll see you later I got work, and I will bring the car home fixed. This begins a lecture on just how iggnorant I am because I sure don't know, and can't be made to understand that this TRANNY is DEAD!

I smiled yes Dear , you're right, I am a knuckeldraggin fool no doubt, but I will see you later since I have WORK to do, and you just added to it. Bye..

I started the car in neutral to re-warn the engine, and she is grinning like the chesire cat, She says SEE! glaring at me thru the window. LOL.

I roll the window down and tell step back and shut the engine off. She is turning beet red with rage at this point and swearing at me.

I shifted into 1st gear, grinned back showing my teeth, and wacked the key. The car lurches a few times and the engine starts. I head off, shift up to 2nd, shift up to 3rd, which is plenty fine to go 15 miles, and the next thing I know shes on my bumper.

Ahead I see a light will be red if I drive right up, so I slow down and shift back to 2nd and creep up on the light. So she leans on the horn in my car/truck and shakes a fist to get moving, her mouth is moving and I can guess the words... Don't ask me why

At this point all I want is for her to go anyplace else and leave me alone.

I get to the shop, and she is out and on me yelling, that since i can drive the car she can drive the car too. I shrug, and she hops in her nicer white sedan and slams the clutch to the floor, sets the car into reverse, and hits the key! The car lurches a few beats and starts up, and she is going in a big U shape turn backwards, I am pretty scared she will hit another customer car or the building, but she jams on the brakes and gets out yelling.

I tell her you GIT in that truck, and get out out of here, GO where ever you want, and later I will bring your car home all fixed! If you don't I am gonna call the cops and have you arrersted.

That women just drove me nuts!

She used to run out of gas in anything she drove and then blame me!

Man, am I glad she is GONE!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,232,979 times
Driving a manual gearbox without using the clutch is a skill everyone should learn !
It's saved my ass a few times when cables, or pipes have broken !

Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
No clutch driving reminds me of a time when a friend and I were out driving in his Dart Swinger with a 340 4 speed. Nice car and would launch like a rocket and he had the habit of demonstrating it just about every time we took off.

We were out of school for the day and just out doing what teenage boys do when we have to stop at a red light. Sure enough, green light and you would have thought it was the final round of the US Nationals. I had gotten used to his driving at this point and didn't think anything about it. Well he went to hang second and broke the shifter handle off flush with the top of the shifter. I guess it had taken all it could stand.

He got the car stopped and then we tried to figure out what to do. Since we weren't in the nicest of neighborhoods and weren't about to leave his car to go get help, we thought we'd just drive home in second gear all the way. Found out right quick that wouldn't work so I got under the car and somehow got it into third gear and off we went. Almost fried the clutch but we made it home.

That Swinger got a new Hurst Super Shifter that weekend.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Yup Hurst. "Shift as hard as you please, but don't break your arm." One of only 3 stickers I ever had on a vehical.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,232,979 times
Reminds me of another "endearing" habit of the 70's UK Ford Capri, and Cortina.
The shifter was held into the gearbox by locktabs, which folded over, holding it in place.

Except they didn't.
Through time, things would wear, and gear changing would often leave you with the gearstick in your hand, while you had a whole box of neutral !

Sitting in heavy traffic, in the middle of an intersection, trying to find the right hole for it was not fun !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Well he went to hang second and broke the shifter handle off flush with the top of the shifter. I guess it had taken all it could stand.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,820,576 times
the firetruck story reminds me of when my history teacher shot a cannon over the delaware river and had the cops called

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Was there that little problem of a cannon ball of some sort? LOL My friends shoot cannon rather a lot, sometimes with projectiles and sometimes with not.

Ususaly it depends on if there is a real target, or it is ar a battle re-enactment. So far no cops ever show up. (sanctioned events for the public)

Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Man, am I glad she is GONE!
Every time I heard stories like that I'm glad I'm not married. Damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or