U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM

11,891 posts, read 45,784,835 times

Advertisements

Being in the construction industry for over 15yrs- I can attest to the validity of plugs. I've carried a kit for years and bought God only knows how many refills.
I've picked up nails, screws, sheetmetal, pieces of saw blade, even wood splinters. As soon as I would notice a low tire, or hear one leaking- I'd pull out my cutoff dykes and plug kit. The sooner the fix- the less air I lost. Usually not an issue- there would always be a framer, roofer, trim guy, or siding guy around with a compressor.
On one particular new tire purchase the sales guy came and got me- he wanted to show me one of the tires that came off my vehicle. It had nine plugs. The service mechanics were having a good laugh over that. I told them what I do for a living- I also told them I'm a tight-ass about time and money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,364,987 times
The second oddest thing I ever found in a tire I was repairing was a Craftsman 9/16 wrench. I guess they hit it just right because it went through the tread and made a pretty big hole.

The oddest thing was a flashlight . I guess when the tire was originally mounted at another shop, someone either screwed up big time or was playing a joke. Either way, the customer wasn't happy.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,220,238 times
i'd choose removing tires from wheels as the last resort, so just plugs for me($6). removing tires tend to cause damage to the wheels finish. also tire balancing should come after mounting which is skipped 100% of the time in tire repair

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,211,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
also tire balancing should come after mounting which is skipped 100% of the time in tire repair
If they remounted it in the same place (usually by marking where the valve stem is), then the balance shouldn't be affected.

Keyword, of course, is "if".

Old 04-01-2010, 03:49 PM

11,891 posts, read 45,784,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
also tire balancing should come after mounting which is skipped 100% of the time in tire repair

It isn't necessary. The guys mark the tire were the valve is. When the tire goes back on- just align mark and valve, done!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,026,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
The oddest thing was a flashlight . I guess when the tire was originally mounted at another shop, someone either screwed up big time or was playing a joke. Either way, the customer wasn't happy.
??? The flashlight should have been reduced to sand if it was plastic...

Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,364,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
??? The flashlight should have been reduced to sand if it was plastic...
One of those keychain Mag-Lites

Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,026,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
One of those keychain Mag-Lites
Oh, haha. I bet if you threw a new bulb in there it would have worked fine. Mag-lites are tough.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
I have a screw in my tire, about one inch from side wall but inside the tread area(about 2 treads). Treadquarters say I need a new tire. The tire is like new w/good treads. I don't want to spend 150 for a new tire! Help!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
The concept of the "patch" became obsolete, when tubeless tires were invented. A patch was required on an inner tube, because it did not have the structural integrity to hold a filler in a puncture,, so an air-tight sealer patch had to be secured over the hole. With the tubeless tire, all that was necessary was something pliable and tight that could fill the hole, and it was not necessary to gain access to the inner surface in order to effect that remedy. The last car I had with tube-type tires was a '66 Rover.

A tire in which the breach is so large that a gap-filler will not hold it, will probably not hold up with a sealed patch in place, either. Although I've ridden on buses in South America where the driver carried a few pieces of discarded tires, and just placed them inside a blown out tire covering the hole, reinflating them with internal air pressure holding them in place, to last until the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or