Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,838 times

Advertisements

Or does it make any real difference?

I saw a nail in my tire yesterday in the outer tread, but not the sidewall. Its clearly within the tread groove.

Anyway i went by the place i used to go to get tires patched, but they were out of business. They used to take the tire off the rim, patch it from inside, and get me on my way.

So I went to another tire place, told them i needed a flat fixed, they took the tire off my car, took out the nail, plugged the hole, and told me "its fixed."

I paid $10 and got on my way. It seems fine, but i have read pro and con about plugs, and some say patches are more reliable. However in some brief research on google i am reading forums where people say they PLUG their own tires and never have a problem, although considered a "temporary" fix by some and inadequate by others. One guy said he has 6 plugs on four tires and has driven 65,000m with no problems.

I just want to be safe. I have OEM all season tires on my Hyundai Elantra. Came with the car. What say the tire experts here?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
I plugged tire on the front of my truck have put about 30k on it with no problems. I see nothing wrong with using a plug.

A lot of places use a combination plug/patch but charge $20 or more to do the repair.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
A proper job would require a dismount and inspection of the inside ... that's extra time and money. But these days, most opt for the lowest cost solution ...

A small puncture In the middle of the tread area, you can usually get away with a plug. Properly prepped, you'll be fine here.

Closer to the outside, you better dismount the tire and get a full inspection. Too close to the sidewall, don't even think about a repair. Afterall, everything that makes a car go, stop, and turn, relies on those 4 black donuts.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
I prefer the combination plug/patch setup. It does requires them to take the tire off the rim, though. do you have a Discount Tire or America's Tire near you? They do this work for free.

Mike

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Usually plugs work fine.. If the nail was smaller and the tire newer a patch could be the ticket. With a worn tire say 15,000+ on it which I don't know the plugs work fine.

In the case of a big spike, a patch is the only way to go, and even then if the cords are cut the tire could be junk. Some tire cords tend to pull back retracking inside and that is plain bad news.

I doubt this happened with a small nail.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I prefer the combination plug/patch setup. It does requires them to take the tire off the rim, though. do you have a Discount Tire or America's Tire near you? They do this work for free.

Mike
Say what?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Say what?
Yep. Discount does it for free, whether you bought the tire there or not. Used them quite a few times. Always great service, though be prepared to wait.

Mike

Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I am lucky that I've never had too many flats with a nail/screw and the like.

Are we talking steel belted radials or old style biased tires.?

My steel belted always had a internal patch repair. Cannot fathom a plug working here.

On old style biased I would have a can of cement and a plugging tool and fix my own flats with a plug. Of course that was decades ago before steel belts came along.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
use a patch. They are $12 around here. Well worth the $.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
Or does it make any real difference?

I saw a nail in my tire yesterday in the outer tread, but not the sidewall. Its clearly within the tread groove.

Anyway i went by the place i used to go to get tires patched, but they were out of business. They used to take the tire off the rim, patch it from inside, and get me on my way.

So I went to another tire place, told them i needed a flat fixed, they took the tire off my car, took out the nail, plugged the hole, and told me "its fixed."

I paid $10 and got on my way. It seems fine, but i have read pro and con about plugs, and some say patches are more reliable. However in some brief research on google i am reading forums where people say they PLUG their own tires and never have a problem, although considered a "temporary" fix by some and inadequate by others. One guy said he has 6 plugs on four tires and has driven 65,000m with no problems.

I just want to be safe. I have OEM all season tires on my Hyundai Elantra. Came with the car. What say the tire experts here?

Thanks

Properly installed plugs are fine. That said, I will not drive a car on a trip with more that two repaired tires but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive