U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,473,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You know, the best time to do brake work is before you have a problem.

You're going to get a lot of people on here telling you you're getting ripped off but the truth is, who knows if you need brakes without actually inspecting them?

Your best shot is to ask your friends and neighbors to recommend a shop you can trust and get a second opinion.

And yes, it's entirely possible your brake shoes are worn out.
Yep. Go to the mechanic that doesn't have to advertise cheap oil change specials in order to get business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,360,113 times
One thing you guys need to remember is that there's a whole lot of really good unemployed techs (think dealer closures and the like) out there that have taken jobs at tire, muffler and quick-lube places just to be working and to have a paycheck.

Sure there are some idiots out there (just as there are on here) but you can't throw a blanket over the entire industry and say everyone who works at these places is a moron that doesn't know what he's doing.

Sorry about the rant

Old 03-30-2010, 04:15 PM

3,876 posts, read 7,240,976 times
This is true, but sometimes with the big chains, what you have is "salesmen with dirty hands".

At least in the UK, these guys are paid a commision on what they sell you, so it's in their interest to tout for extra work.

Over here, we have tales of shocks being sprayed with WD40 to look like they're leaking.
CV boots being ripped, little things like that.
I'm guessing it's the same over there ?

Quote:
One thing you guys need to remember is that there's a whole lot of really good unemployed techs (think dealer closures and the like) out there that have taken jobs at tire, muffler and quick-lube places just to be working and to have a paycheck.

Sure there are some idiots out there (just as there are on here) but you can't throw a blanket over the entire industry and say everyone who works at these places is a moron that doesn't know what he's doing.

Sorry about the rant

Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM

13,411 posts, read 42,768,615 times
Quote:

Sorry about the rant
That's not a rant, it's a good point.

How would you recognize such people?

It's true that some good mechanics can be found working at chain tire stores, the problem with these places is IMHO the MANAGEMENT, who push "up-sells" and just general nonsense, and their attention to price and speed of delivery, like Micky D's, where quality not only takes a back seat but has to ride on a skateboard hanging on to the bumper...

Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,360,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That's not a rant, it's a good point.

How would you recognize such people?

It's true that some good mechanics can be found working at chain tire stores, the problem with these places is IMHO the MANAGEMENT, who push "up-sells" and just general nonsense, and their attention to price and speed of delivery, like Micky D's, where quality not only takes a back seat but has to ride on a skateboard hanging on to the bumper...
Word of mouth is the most reliable way to find a good tech. Neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. If the shop is always busy is another good sign. To me it's like going out to eat. If the parking lot is mostly empty, avoid it. If the parking lot is always full, they must be doing something right.

Check out qualifications and certifications. A wall full of plaques doesn't necessarily mean they're experts but it does show they at least care enough to take the time to keep up. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
If they're good people they'll be more than willing to answer any question you may have.

About the management...that's out of my hands. I believe that anyone with any integrity would not work for that type of place. I've found myself in that situation a few times over the years and it didn't take long to pack it in and move on.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,240,976 times
It's very rare I'll go to a garage, because I don't trust anyone to work on my car except me.

However, on rare occasions when I do, if I phone a place, and they say "yeah, just drop it round now", I'll never go.
I'll always go to the place who says "well, we're real busy, but we could fit you in on Tuesday".
The busier the place, normally the better the reputation.

Quote:
If the shop is always busy is another good sign. To me it's like going out to eat. If the parking lot is mostly empty, avoid it. If the parking lot is always full, they must be doing something right.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:05 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,016,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
We have a 2006 Chevy Colorado... Needed new tires, and the guy said, guess what you also need new drum brakes and pads. The vehicle is over 60K miles and we aren't surprised about the pads needing replaced, but is it normal for the drums? Obviously we are going for a different opinion, but what is weird is that the brakes aren't showing any sign of any problems... at all.

Thanks guys!!
From the driver's seat it is usually impossible to tell if the brake shoes are .001 inches of lining left or .20.

Don in Austin

Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,016,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yep. Go to the mechanic that doesn't have to advertise cheap oil change specials in order to get business.
Truer words were never spoken. Oil changes are grossly under-priced and every loser shop wants to generate traffic by driving the prices even lower.

Don in Austin

Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,652,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
From the driver's seat it is usually impossible to tell if the brake shoes are .001 inches of lining left or .20.

Don in Austin
Thanks for digging up an eight year old thread to share this.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 PM

13,411 posts, read 42,768,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Thanks for digging up an eight year old thread to share this.
Well, brakes have not changed much in the last 8 years. Nor have chain tire shops, with their irritating "up-sell" crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive