Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The Mopars were way better than you heard. Sad that you listen to the myths and miss out on a great vehicle. I'd take the Windstar, but neither holds a candle to the Mopar.
Thanks. Well, its what I have not only read, but I have seen some of these that have been burned (V6 models).. even when they were not that old. It was also my personal experience twice with Mopars, transmission woes at low miles. My aunt has a 98 Voyager, 89K, tranny is going out. The newer ones may be better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Either you need your eyes checked or you need to read the whole post.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
A Chrysler fan here but a former owner of a Windstar, a 2000. This was a wife's choice vehicle and it was priced right when we got it in '04. Here's a personal experience story for what it's worth...

We had it for two months until the wife got broadsided at an intersection one day. Fellow in a full size Buick ran a red light and slammed her in the passenger sliding door at an estimated 35 to 40 mph. Sent her bouncing across two lanes into a light pole which took out the driver's side sliding door. Looking over the damage showed everything on the passenger side was crumbled, all glass broken. Driver's side was crumbled from the sliding door all the way back with broken glass on the sliding door and rear windows. Back hatch stayed shut but the glass was broken. Front end was not heavily damaged.

But, nothing came close to hitting any of the seats although they were moved a bit from the impact. She was shaken up but fine, not a scratch.

With that, I wouldn't buy one of that vintage now, just for potential age and mileage problems but this one certainly saved the day back then.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like the MB would be a safer choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
If you could find a later model Safari/Astro I would suggest looking into one. Our '99 is getting very close to the 200k mark with no failures yet. The standard RWD with optional AWD makes these very versatile vehicles.
Those are good, but she is afraid of the short front ends. Her friend has a 2000 Astro LS that we have drove before... she was scared... also the IIHS is poor.

IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Astro

Odyssey and Windstar did better...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
These guys are right. Don't rule out a Chrysler product when it comes to minivans. I mean, they did pretty much set the standard when it comes to them. I see plenty of old Caravans still running around.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
I wish I could tell you to go with the Ford, but I can't. The Windstar was not a good vehicle. We had one, a '96 GL, and it was the only Ford vehicle my family owned that was frequently at the dealership (seemed like every other month). We got rid of it when the transmission started going out after about 110,000 miles and bought our Explorer, which has been trouble-free for 70,000 miles. I have heard that Windstars of the model year 2001 and later are much more reliable.

Odyssey wins here, no doubt about it.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks. Well, its what I have not only read, but I have seen some of these that have been burned (V6 models).. even when they were not that old. It was also my personal experience twice with Mopars, transmission woes at low miles. My aunt has a 98 Voyager, 89K, tranny is going out. The newer ones may be better though.
I was referring to the 96-00. I know what you read. It's a myth. I actually owned 2 99 models. The problems you heard about did not exist. They were fantastic vehicles. I sold one because it didn't fit my needs, and the other was totalled in an accident at 140K miles, with no issues at all. Put the proper foluid in, and don't flush and the tranny will give you many years of service. If a tranny is going out, it is almost always because of these two issues,. Look around you and see all the Mopar vans. It is no fluke that there are still so many still going strong. They were the best of those years.

You probably won' listen and be seduce by the Honda which also has a rep.. for transmission issues. Oh well, I tried.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
I was referring to the 96-00. I know what you read. It's a myth. I actually owned 2 99 models. The problems you heard about did not exist. They were fantastic vehicles. I sold one because it didn't fit my needs, and the other was totalled in an accident at 140K miles, with no issues at all. Put the proper foluid in, and don't flush and the tranny will give you many years of service. If a tranny is going out, it is almost always because of these two issues,. Look around you and see all the Mopar vans. It is no fluke that there are still so many still going strong. They were the best of those years.

You probably won' listen and be seduce by the Honda which also has a rep.. for transmission issues. Oh well, I tried.
the 99-00 3 sppedd tranny inthe caravan was shared with the neon we went through 3 tranny repalcements in my parents 98 caravan before the sold it 2 years later in 00 my dad swore off dodge forever but ended up buying a ram 2500 turbo diesel cummins that has already gone through on tranny rebuild

Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I wish I could tell you to go with the Ford, but I can't. The Windstar was not a good vehicle.
Thanks. I had asked a friend that had bought a new 96 Windstar and she said it had issues... we are not even getting a van now for her.

Quote:

Thanks. Not going with the Honda either... we are keeping the Mercedes for her. She decided on a newer van later. It sounds like you had had alot of good luck with Mopars, but I havent, nor has my family, EXCEPT for my uncle that has THREE late 90s-2000 Dodge 2500 trucks... two are turbo diesels and one is a gas. TWO have had to have the trannies rebuilt, but that was it... one had 300K. My aunt as I mentioned has a 98 Plymouth Voyager, well cared for with only 89K and the tranny started acting funny. I had a 1995 Chrysler Concorde with the optional 3.5L (in excellent shape) and the tranny went out at 84K. It started grinding and jerking. $850 rebuild and it was fine. A/C always gave me problems too, but other than that it was a good car, but I sold it at 94K. My grandparents had a 1988 Chrysler New Yorker.... bought at 40K, sold at 110K. I cant tell you how many times that car was in the shop with transmission problems, electrical problems, brake problems, etc. They sold and bought a 95 Buick LeSabre, which was a much better car, but last week traded it in on a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with 24K. Will probably be the last car they ever purchase.

Another friend with a 2000 Dodge Intrepid... 98K - tranny went out and it was burning oil - great car. Traded it in on a 2009 Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 99-00 3 sppedd tranny inthe caravan was shared with the neon we went through 3 tranny repalcements in my parents 98 caravan before the sold it 2 years later in 00 my dad swore off dodge forever but ended up buying a ram 2500 turbo diesel cummins that has already gone through on tranny rebuild
Yeah, my uncle has three Dodge 2500 trucks.... two diesels, one gasser. Other than the trannies, they have been great, but one went to 300K on the tranny... it was amazing. He has had to have them all rebuilt now though.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
It sounds like you had had alot of good luck with Mopars, but I havent, nor has my family....
It wasn't luck. It was picking the right van and maintaining it properly. That's all.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:05 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Anyone had any experience with the 95-00 Windstar or 99-00 Odyssey?

Thanks!
Avoid the 1995-1998 Windstars as they have a lot of problems with the transmissions and the head gaskets. It would be my LAST choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive