U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: WNC
1,450 posts, read 2,079,164 times
Reputation: 1213

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There were numerous Subaru turbo failures in 2009. I bought a Forester with a normally aspirated motor for that reason alone (turbo problems).
Subaru issues "stop sale" on all models equipped with turbo'd 2.5-liter - Autoblog

I would take a Toyota V6 motor over any 4-cylinder turbo. The Toyota V6 on my wife's Rav 4 produces 270 of smooth HP, and is quite good on fuel. Now, several European and Japanese diesel turbo motors are very reliable and last many years. A coworker of mine is driving a very old Mercedes with a diesel turbo. It already surpassed 200,000 miles.
that looked like it was affecting cars outside of the US, but SOA put a stop sale here just to be sure til they got if fixed, which was smart. Granted, the only model that really had semi-widespread turbo failures were the 05 LGT's. Other than that, no US model ever experienced recurring turbo failures.

As far as a Toyota V6 motor vs. any 4cyl turbo....well that 270hp rav4 is impressive....until it meets a Forester XT. The early models of the XT will easily beat that V6. Even the newer 2.0 XT's post the same(though some publications post a 0-60 for the XT at .1 quicker) 0-60. The rav4 v6 does beat the new XT's in the 1/4 by .2 seconds, but those early XT's were in the 13's stock. I realize everyone has preferences, but those XT's are pretty amazing cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 AM
 
Location: London
3,885 posts, read 3,329,148 times
Reputation: 1638
I have a 1.8 litre 5 seater car that has 4 cylinders with 4 valves per cylinder - not turbo charged. It does 115mph and accelerates as fast as I want it to. It also returns about 38 UK mpg. If I put my foot down when it reaches a certain revs the injection system kicks in more and you can feel the jolt. The 2.0 litre 4 cylinder is even faster. I see no need to have a complex, expensive turbo or a 6 cylinder. The only advantage of a straight 6 is that it is in naturally perfect balance. Marketing and products in the USA appear very different to Europe.

The new London Routemaster hybrid bus has a 4.5 litre engine, which many US cars have the same size.



The old bus had a 11.6 litre engine:


Last edited by John-UK; 08-19-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The Woodlands
791 posts, read 1,304,593 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I see no need to have a complex, expensive turbo or a 6 cylinder.
Sure, with traffic lights every 200 yards your car will suffice. US roads and driving styles are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Reputation: 29355
Traffic lights every 200 yards is exactly why I like my turbocharged motor -- near-instant low-end torque to help jockey for position out of the hole if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM
 
Location: London
3,885 posts, read 3,329,148 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Sure, with traffic lights every 200 yards your car will suffice. US roads and driving styles are very different.
We have big roads in England. It is not like in Sherlock Holmes films. I find no problems in accelerating. The marketing people convince you, you need a big engined car. Which is nonsense as 95% of you do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Seal Rock
431 posts, read 462,592 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Sure, with traffic lights every 200 yards your car will suffice. US roads and driving styles are very different.
I drive 2.5 miles to work through 6 sets of traffic lights. In the UK, my commute was 70 miles each way, most of it on a motorway (freeway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,493,051 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
We have big roads in England. It is not like in Sherlock Holmes films. I find no problems in accelerating. The marketing people convince you, you need a big engined car. Which is nonsense as 95% of you do not.

We don't need it. We want it. And not because of marketing, but because of the way it feels when it's reacting to your throttle input. Just because YOU don't like acceleration doesn't mean we all don't. It's FUN, and sometimes, we just like fun things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Prosper
6,268 posts, read 12,118,539 times
Reputation: 9325
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I have a 1.8 litre 5 seater car that has 4 cylinders with 4 valves per cylinder - not turbo charged. It does 115mph and accelerates as fast as I want it to. It also returns about 38 UK mpg. If I put my foot down when it reaches a certain revs the injection system kicks in more and you can feel the jolt. The 2.0 litre 4 cylinder is even faster. I see no need to have a complex, expensive turbo or a 6 cylinder. The only advantage of a straight 6 is that it is in naturally perfect balance. Marketing and products in the USA appear very different to Europe.

Says the man who lives in the country that brought us the new McLaren P1 and the legendary F1... Yes, speed is useless over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,202,058 times
Reputation: 6487
The issue is Forced Induction (FI) vs. Naturally Aspirated (NA) engines. FI engines put more strain on the engines (even if they are engineered for that extra power front) and will deteriorate faster than NA engines. I prefer the V6 to the I4 FI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,174 posts, read 27,449,163 times
Reputation: 11838
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
that looked like it was affecting cars outside of the US, but SOA put a stop sale here just to be sure til they got if fixed, which was smart. Granted, the only model that really had semi-widespread turbo failures were the 05 LGT's. Other than that, no US model ever experienced recurring turbo failures.

As far as a Toyota V6 motor vs. any 4cyl turbo....well that 270hp rav4 is impressive....until it meets a Forester XT. The early models of the XT will easily beat that V6. Even the newer 2.0 XT's post the same(though some publications post a 0-60 for the XT at .1 quicker) 0-60. The rav4 v6 does beat the new XT's in the 1/4 by .2 seconds, but those early XT's were in the 13's stock. I realize everyone has preferences, but those XT's are pretty amazing cars.
No. It also affected several 2008-2009 Subaru models in the US. That's why I din't buy a Forester with a turbo motor back in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top