U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 AM

3,885 posts, read 3,332,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Guys, John obviously has a thoroughly closed mind and no amount of facts will convince him. He doesn't know what he's talking about, and everyone here knows it, so let's just ignore him from here on out.
You haven't given any fact except that Americans have been taken in by marketing men to buy product they do not need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,869,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It is true that 4 cyl engines are becoming the majority in e USA, but are they the "second" car?
No.

Quote:
Most European cars have 4 cyl smaller engines than the USA that develop more hp. My car proves that. 1,800cc , 4 valves per cylinder, does 115mph, etc. This did come about because of more expensive fuel. But!!! This technology is available to the USA but the Americans still are served up with inefficient and overlarge engines. The makers tell you, you need larger engines when you do not. Pollution and all that?
How much more horsepower do you think European cars make per unit of displacement? How much horsepower do you think it takes to do 115mph? That's not exactly pavement-distorting speed. Tell us all about your special little chariot so we can actually compare it to American cars. And how long have you lived in the USA that you're familiar with the marketing messages currently employed by auto makers? Which do you think is more aggressively marketed right now -- engine size, or fuel economy?

Quote:
Please do not come back and say Americans drive more per ann. as they do not. And that they are the only country with highways - they are not. And that 4 cyl engines wear out quicker, etc. All this type of response is doing is giving in to the marketing men. Marketing men have convinced you, you need something you do not need. Get wise to it.
Yeah yeah, we know. Europeans are far too sophisticated to be swayed by "marketing men." Only us Americans are dumb enough to be led around by the nose.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM

11,832 posts, read 7,718,890 times
Americans only care about HP but none cares about power-weight ratio and that's how racing is organized and limited to.

Which is why most American muscle cars are nothing but pigs with a big engine. A 4 cylinder turbo car like the Lotus Elise runs laps around the Mustang with 100 less HP.

It's stupid to have over 300HP when most highways limit you to under 80mph as a safe speed. Only time you need over 300HP is to move a heavy car or drag racing.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,499,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Americans only care about HP but none cares about power-weight ratio and that's how racing is organized and limited to.

Which is why most American muscle cars are nothing but pigs with a big engine. A 4 cylinder turbo car like the Lotus Elise runs laps around the Mustang with 100 less HP.

It's stupid to have over 300HP when most highways limit you to under 80mph as a safe speed. Only time you need over 300HP is to move a heavy car or drag racing.
Or accellerating up an onramp or passing people, or simply having fun. I've built 400-500+ hp street cars and they were massively fun, especially since they were also designed to go around corners. And many of us do take our cars to the track, so hp is useable there, too.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

11,832 posts, read 7,718,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Or accellerating up an onramp or passing people, or simply having fun. I've built 400-500+ hp street cars and they were massively fun, especially since they were also designed to go around corners. And many of us do take our cars to the track, so hp is useable there, too.
Yes for track duties High HP cars is where it belongs. For daily driver I don't think it's fun to drive 400-500HP cars and constantly manage power by shifting gears up and down. I rather drive a 250HP car with good low end torque so I can get around traffic and dial up power easily around than have a high HP car that needs a lot of work to maintain legal speed.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,869,750 times
If it's "a lot of work" to maintain legal speed in any modern street car in proper working condition, you need your license yanked.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,499,346 times
Quote:
Yes for track duties High HP cars is where it belongs. For daily driver I don't think it's fun to drive 400-500HP cars and constantly manage power by shifting gears up and down. I rather drive a 250HP car with good low end torque so I can get around traffic and dial up power easily around than have a high HP car that needs a lot of work to maintain legal speed.
A high power car needs LESS work to maintain highway speeds.

And it takes less effort to merge, pass, or accelerate up on-ramps, too.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,246,816 times
In the 1950s I owned mostly 6cyl cars, in the 60s thru 80s only eight cylinders, in the 90s my first 6cyl twin turbo and several 8cyl. So far from 2000 to present all new 4cyl turbo.

I still own a 1967 Olds 442 that I bought new and is now show only. Also, own a 1994 Supra TT also purchased new, now show and weekends only. I love the Supra, in our Dallas club we have many producing from 320hp stock up to 1200hp all with the same engine. I also own a 1999 E430 Sport, 8cyl, one of the best cars that I ever purchased new.

For daily drivers and vacation driving only 4cyl turbo cars because they are economical, fun, fast and safe.

During my lifetime I must have owned 30 or more cars, most were POS the good ones I kept. Disclaimer, the 442 was never a great car but it holds memories, my first new car after returning from Vietnam.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,779 times
Quote:
That is the case. Look it up.
Imperial gallons are not the same as US gallons. Silly.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM

3,885 posts, read 3,332,214 times
Quote:
Americans only care about HP
They only care about how any cylinders and cc.
Quote:
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive