U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,859,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
I don't know if the extra 0.3 liters of displacement make that much difference, if it's a different A/T, or if it's your driving style, but the Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo is a poor choice for a truly spirited driver. Between the small engine, turbo lag and the A/T, it is just an exercise in patience trying to pass someone.

It's fine for city/normal driving, but then so is an N/A 4.
That 300cc made a major difference. It could deliver more low-end torque to get the turbo spooling quicker. Back in that day, the 2.3 turbo was good for 40HP and some 60 lb-ft over the 2.0.

I have a Saab with the 2.0 turbo, and I actually have the opposite impression: not terribly good for city driving, or at least not in the city where I live where assertive driving is the order of the day and quick low-end response is a valuable commodity. Out on the highway, on the other hand, it's a magnificent cruiser with plenty of passing power. Then again mine's a manual so maybe that accounts for the different impressions.

Last edited by Drover; 04-05-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,969,097 times
I built my custom Turbo set up About 15 yrs ago and still going strong.

My old Turbo book says not to exceed boost longer then 10 secs...considering the fuel and air combined being compressed into the combustion chamber can/will make the engine heat a little...but for 20 secs? of boost...doubt it...maybe in fantisy land untill the engine blows.

I experienced NOS in the qtr mile in 10 secs...and saw the results on the rods.

My engine has the oil passing thru the intake man behind the carb then to the Turbo and then dumped back into the crankcase. Oil is constantly flowing normally and under boost at higher RPM. Backing off on the throttle is sufficient to allow oil to still cool down the bearing without shutting engine down from boost...a NO NO.

In my qtr mile runs with the race car or dragster... I never shut down but idled back to the pits.

Not familiar with the newer factory small turbos so cannot comment.

Steve

Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,859,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I built my custom Turbo set up About 15 yrs ago and still going strong.

My old Turbo book says not to exceed boost longer then 10 secs...considering the fuel and air combined being compressed into the combustion chamber can/will make the engine heat a little...but for 20 secs? of boost...doubt it...maybe in fantisy land untill the engine blows.
You've said this before, and "old" turbo book is the operative word here. In today's world of computerized cars that can precisely monitor boost pressure and fuel delivery and change either in the blink of an eye as necessary, you can lay on the boost all day without any worry that your engine will unduly suffer for it. Of course, if you stand on the gas pedal all day every day you can expect premature engine wear, but of course that's the case whether you have a forced-induction engine or a normally aspirated engine.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,368,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If he spent 2 grand to get the turbo replaced, he got ripped off.

I have owned 7 turbocharged cars with up to 188,000 miles on the clock, and I have not once had to replace a turbocharger.
It's possible there was other damage to the car, but if he went to a dealer, I wouldn't be surprised at the cost. In any case, having an additional mechanical component increases the probability of failure of the system. Especially if someone is just an average user.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
In any case, having an additional mechanical component increases the probability of failure of the system. Especially if someone is just an average user.

not really. Unless he messed with the boost himself or something, there isnt much he could have done to kill a turbo. You dont drive a turbo car different than an NA car. Drive it like a normal person and there's nothing to worry about.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,218,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
not really. Unless he messed with the boost himself or something, there isnt much he could have done to kill a turbo. You dont drive a turbo car different than an NA car. Drive it like a normal person and there's nothing to worry about.
true but there are design issues sometimes. like on the Audi S4

Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 AM

13,756 posts, read 18,409,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
....v8
I agree. I'm head over heels for that 2011 Mustang GT.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 AM

414 posts, read 978,478 times
I like 4 cylinders because of fuel saving measures. You can drive like a grandma with a V6 powered car and match up with a 4 cylinder driving to the limits or whatever. I get about 30-33 mpg avg. no problem without trying.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,368,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Someone with a turbo might choose to accelerate faster than a person who buys a non-turbo car.

In any case, I posted in a previous post that I know someone who had to replace their WRX turbo. It was around 6-7 years old. It's just basic statistics. Any product, especially of somewhat complex design, will fail eventually. The question is when. A bell curve will be the result of analyzing any large production quantity, so a small percentage will be better than average and small percentage will be worse than average. Because a turbo system adds more components, the calculated time to failure will be sooner than a normally aspirated version. Of course the difference could be small, but it's an unknown to the buyer, as the manufacturer isn't likely to provide the information.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
true but there are design issues sometimes. like on the Audi S4

true, but that's a flaw with design like you said. My point was that a car being turbo doesnt automatically mean it is different from an NA vehicle, as far as driving and maintenance is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive