U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,092,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Someone with a turbo might choose to accelerate faster than a person who buys a non-turbo car.

In any case, I posted in a previous post that I know someone who had to replace their WRX turbo. It was around 6-7 years old. It's just basic statistics. Any product, especially of somewhat complex design, will fail eventually. The question is when. A bell curve will be the result of analyzing any large production quantity, so a small percentage will be better than average and small percentage will be worse than average. Because a turbo system adds more components, the calculated time to failure will be sooner than a normally aspirated version. Of course the difference could be small, but it's an unknown to the buyer, as the manufacturer isn't likely to provide the information.
as a member of the Subaru community(very active on a handful of forums) it's rare you hear of a turbo just breaking on its own. Any time you hear of that, the car is usually modded, and in most cases, very poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 PM

347 posts, read 1,181,136 times
I have been driving V6 all my life and leased a 4 cyl for the first time, regretting it and looking at Turbo 4 next time or going back to V6.
10 years ago I had heard about the shutdown damaging the turbo, and I'm sure technology has evolved a lot since then.
I downloaded owners manuals of a few 4 cyl turbo cars that I am interested in, and none of them specify anything about waiting for any amount of time before shutting down.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
I have been driving V6 all my life and leased a 4 cyl for the first time, regretting it and looking at Turbo 4 next time or going back to V6.
10 years ago I had heard about the shutdown damaging the turbo, and I'm sure technology has evolved a lot since then.
I downloaded owners manuals of a few 4 cyl turbo cars that I am interested in, and none of them specify anything about waiting for any amount of time before shutting down.
Don't worry about it. The only time it's even a potential issue is if you shut the engine down immediately after prolonged driving under heavy load. And just driving around town is not a "heavy load" unless maybe you're hauling a big trailer with an F150 Ecoboost. For normal drivers in normal cars, just driving around normally does not put enough load to generate enough prolonged heat to worry about cooling down the turbo before shutting the engine off. I've owned 8 turbocharged cars (including one of my current cars) with anywhere from 6 miles on up to 188,000 miles on the odometer and I have never had a major issue with a turbocharger. The only mechanical problem I've ever had with a turbocharger is having a wastegate stuck shut. That was fixed by taking the turbo off, prying the wastegate open, and putting it back on. Total cost was $250, all of it labor. If I'd had any mechanical aptitude, I could have fixed it myself for free.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,722,802 times
I've had both and because I tend to mod my cars I would prefer a turbo-4 over a V6.

However, for someone that is going to just leave the car alone and just drive it around commuting to and fro, it looks like the OEMs are moving more towards turbo-4s as being more effecient as the "big" engine choice rather then the V6 because as long as you stay out of the boost, the car gets better mileage then a comparable V6, so I think the choice is going to be made for all of us here soon. Looks like F/I is coming on strong for everybody, tuner and commuter alike.

Also, most turbos are oil and water cooled these days making turbo timers a non-necessity, but it isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,611,782 times
Turbo 4s

I think those cylinder comparisons were true under the old playbook as some posters have mentioned.

First car I ever purchased was a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It lasted over 170,000 miles up until the day I sold it. That car was a lot of fun.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/novelk/ecemaillarge.jpg (broken link)

I now have a Volkswagen GTI. It has about 40,000 miles and I haven't had any problems with it. Very quick and smooth with a lot less turbo lag than the Eclipse had.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/novelk/gtiemaillarge.jpg (broken link)

I have driven 6-cylinder cars that are quick but they just don't have that little extra pop you get with a turbo.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM

2,120 posts, read 2,504,426 times
^^^ Yes, most turbos today are water cooled versus straight oil cooled so it renders a turbo timer or letting it idle for 30 seconds or so after driving pretty much pointless. Back in '95 I had an Eagle Talon turbo and it was an oil cooled turbo so it did require you to idle it down after driving, which I did religiously and never had an issue with the turbo. It had some other problems but was a blast to drive.

I'm not in a '08 Mazdaspeed3 which is a turbo4 and it's fun as well. I went through various cars after the Talon but came back to a turbo4 just because they are fun to drive and with today's turbos there is basically no lag at all plus it gets pretty decent gas mileage. Plus it's fun seeing people in a v6 or v8 wonder why this little 4 banger is keeping up or passing them. haha

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,357,098 times
No complaints with my turbo 4. Faster than my Infiniti G35's V6, much better gas mileage and with a simple tune a nice 290 wheel torque on a stock turbo. Give me a bit of time and I'll have a slightly larger turbo on there putting down close to 350whp on stock internals with almost identical spool as the stock turbo. Call me a happy camper.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383295_10150524374424848_686094847_11688760_875408 812_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 735 times
Does anyone know the average time it takes for a turbo engine to cool - such as a 2013 VW R?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieegger View Post
Does anyone know the average time it takes for a turbo engine to cool - such as a 2013 VW R?

Thanks
Cool to what extent? That you can work on it without burning yourself, or cool that it's safe to turn off without damaging engine and turbo components?

If the former, half-hour or so. If the latter, just turn it off when you're ready to park unless you just pulled off a racetrack. In that case, let it idle for a couple minutes and then turn it off.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 27,585,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
as a member of the Subaru community(very active on a handful of forums) it's rare you hear of a turbo just breaking on its own. Any time you hear of that, the car is usually modded, and in most cases, very poorly.
There were numerous Subaru turbo failures in 2009. I bought a Forester with a normally aspirated motor for that reason alone (turbo problems).
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/s...with-turbod-2/

I would take a Toyota V6 motor over any 4-cylinder turbo. The Toyota V6 on my wife's Rav 4 produces 270 of smooth HP, and is quite good on fuel. Now, several European and Japanese diesel turbo motors are very reliable and last many years. A coworker of mine is driving a very old Mercedes with a diesel turbo. It already surpassed 200,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive