Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The average miles per ann, in the USA and Europe is about the same. Yet US cars have much larger more fuel thirsty engines. Go figure. Believe me, Europeans put a lot emphasis on driveability than in the USA.
But in the USA towing loaded trailers (boats, building materials, ATVs, and so on) are some of the reasons why we prefer more power. In this case a larger car weights more, which is not a bad thing if you are towing a trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,859,756 times
Quote:
The average miles per ann, in the USA and Europe is about the same.
I don't believe that, whats your evidence to back that up?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
The average miles per ann, in the USA and Europe is about the same. Yet US cars have much larger more fuel thirsty engines. Go figure. Believe me, Europeans put a lot emphasis on driveability than in the USA.
First of all, a solid majority of cars sold here have 4-cylinder engines. What's more, the reason larger engines are less common there is not because Europeans are more virtuous or less susceptible to marketing, but because fuel is more expensive there. Certainly even you aren't oblivious to the 400+HP cars made and sold in Europe. Europeans who can afford the higher running costs of cars with larger and more powerful motors, buy them. And Europeans who move to the USA don't flock to the A-segment fuel sippers they're familiar with because they don't have to.

Last edited by Drover; 08-20-2014 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 PM

447 posts, read 730,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
My 09 WRX 2.5L 4 cyl turbo eats V8s for breakfast

Not my American V/8 and it dont need a hair dryer to go fast ! Ron

Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,028,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, they don't. They have more expensive fuel, but that's the ONLY reason they go for tiny underpowered engines. We have cheap fuel and don't need to suffer with small engines. Funny how Europeans moving to the US tend to gravitate towards buying the big engine cars they couldn't/wouldn't have back home...
A Yank Tank wallows on European winding roads. European cars need good handling and have it. They also develop more HP from smaller engine units.

Last edited by John-UK; 08-21-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But in the USA towing loaded trailers (boats, building materials, ATVs, and so on) are some of the reasons why we prefer more power. In this case a larger car weights more, which is not a bad thing if you are towing a trailer.
American car do exactly the same as European cars. But European see no need to have overlarge engines. The marketing people of the manufacturers tell you need something you do not. You do not need a 3.5 litre V8 to go to Safeway.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I don't believe that, whats your evidence to back that up?
That is the case. Look it up.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First of all, a solid majority of cars sold here have 4-cylinder engines. What's more, the reason larger engines are less common there is not because Europeans are more virtuous or less susceptible to marketing, but because fuel is more expensive there. Certainly even you aren't oblivious to the 400+HP cars made and sold in Europe. Europeans who can afford the higher running costs of cars with larger and more powerful motors, buy them. And Europeans who move to the USA don't flock to the A-segment fuel sippers they're familiar with because they don't have to.
It is true that 4 cyl engines are becoming the majority in e USA, but are they the "second" car?

Most European cars have 4 cyl smaller engines than the USA that develop more hp. My car proves that. 1,800cc , 4 valves per cylinder, does 115mph, etc. This did come about because of more expensive fuel. But!!! This technology is available to the USA but the Americans still are served up with inefficient and overlarge engines. The makers tell you, you need larger engines when you do not. Pollution and all that?

Please do not come back and say Americans drive more per ann. as they do not. And that they are the only country with highways - they are not. And that 4 cyl engines wear out quicker, etc. All this type of response is doing is giving in to the marketing men. Marketing men have convinced you, you need something you do not need. Get wise to it.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,206,547 times
Guys, John obviously has a thoroughly closed mind and no amount of facts will convince him. He doesn't know what he's talking about, and everyone here knows it, so let's just ignore him from here on out.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I know that's right! But a boxer engine is the exception to the rule, considering most 4 bangers are in-line engines.

Well, if I had to choose- 4 banger turbo. But, I drive a 5cyl turbo, Volvo C70. It goes Zoom-Zoom but it ain't a Mazda!
How is it excepted by what rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive