U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times

Advertisements

LOL Mitch we suffer a like world. My wife called home once to say the Saab 900, 5 speed stick had no power. I said wait right there I will come... She did and when I got there there was no rear tire on one side.. I kinda knew that would be what I would find 10 miles before I got there too. No OD on that car.

What I don't understand is where are all the non-car people telling you, they are expert, and would never miss a beat on knowing hot to drive. Whats going on they are not?

When I was an active tech I felt bad for non-car people with the costs of being non-car people, but on the other hand I liked the pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:11 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

When I was an active tech I felt bad for non-car people with the costs of being non-car people, but on the other hand I liked the pay.
I would really hate to be on the other side of some of the repair bills I've turned, but then again, it ain't my fault either.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
Gimmie, This is getting way out of hand these days... The dollar iis falling rapidly as i see it. Yesterday the shop had to have a brass round 12 inches long, by 3 inch dia... $200.00 BUCKS! Double the price of last time!

That cost has to be passed off, it just has to be.

Last year I hit a jeep, that hit a moose on my Kawii Nomad and crinckled the ft fender. Back in August that fender was 317, and now it is over 400!

No fender made is worth that much, and I will fix it and paint the entire bike instead, myself! That will pocket most of that amount of money too, for something else I need or want.

I can't get over it..... Then the shipping for said fender is 160 more bucko's... I don't think so.. This is nuts..

If I had to I could make a paper fender and then make it again in steel. Since there isn't a lot of work any way I can discount my time. I do plenty of that anyway.

For those who pay I just wonder how they can? All the shps aroind here are getting 80 bucks a shop hour.. How do people afford that these days?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Like you said, it's outta hand and there's no end in sight.

It's the old trickle down effect I guess. Utilities go up. Rent goes up. Insurance goes up. And it goes on and on.

I need more money 'cause that tool truck ain't giving stuff away.

So up goes the labor rate. Only thing is, you're not getting ahead. You're just treading water.

Then you look at it from the customer's point of view and you wonder just how long this can go on. One of these days it has to stop.

I wish I had the answers.

Sorry about getting off the overdrive question.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 354 times
I have a 05 expedition and won't go any higher than 20 then it wondering do anything, but if I take the o/d off it drives good. How long can i drive it like that. And what is wrong with it. Please need help.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:10 PM

4,762 posts, read 10,224,033 times
If the car is driving ok, then leave it on. It will save gas. They pretty much design these things to automatically work as they should - no mess, no fuss.

But if you are going up hills/towing and need a little extra oomph, then turn it off.

Also if the car is overheating on a long uphill stretch, turn it off.

Or if you want the car to warm up sooner when it is very cold, leave it off for a bit.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 152 times
I only use overdrive when on interstate or places i can keep it in overdrive going in and out of overdrive wears your overdrive out i learned this from a man who has built transmissions for 25 years

Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 PM

421 posts, read 192,949 times
I stick to a pretty routine route, and will lock out overdrive in places where I know it will hunt. Newer trans programming takes out a lot of the issues, as does better oils (and better transmissions). But I figure it doesn't hurt to lock it out when I know it's not needed.

I'll probably wind up wearing out the shifter cable before the trans gives up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive