U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,198,082 times
Reputation: 5790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
With Oregon as cash-strapped as it is, I'm AMAZED I don't see more cops out in the old standby, nailing people for 57 in a 55. I kid you not I haven't seen a cop on the side of US-26 in probably three weeks and Cedar Hills Boulevard has been cop and photo radar van-free for a month or more, now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing it to lull people into a false sense of security and then BAM! nail them all at once. Also, they have a new hands-free law here and I'm utterly shocked they haven't gone after that more. Cops here LOVE to nab people on new laws.
If they bring their tolerance too low, they'll lose money by flooding the courts with people contesting the tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,569,447 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
WTF happened to your car? Is it even safe to drive?

That doesn’t look like a slot car racer, but more of a demolish derby junket car.

I would normally suggest some Bondo, a large spatula, and a $149.00 paint job and to sell it but that car looks like you’d spend more in body repairs than you could recover in a sale price.


Im having fun with you, but do slow down before you hurt someone, including yourself
I actually bought it like that 3 years ago for $500. Trust me, it drives MUCH better than it looks. Really, it drives perfectly. I have driven it at a consistent 100 mph on the open road back and forth to Phoenix with no issues. And yes, I have racked up a few photo radar tickets but since I am out of state I just throw them in the trash (where they belong). However, I would not put a dime into fixing up the body. The other side of the car is just as bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,198,082 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I actually bought it like that 3 years ago for $500. Trust me, it drives MUCH better than it looks. Really, it drives perfectly. I have driven it at a consistent 100 mph on the open road back and forth to Phoenix with no issues. And yes, I have racked up a few photo radar tickets but since I am out of state I just throw them in the trash (where they belong). However, I would not put a dime into fixing up the body. The other side of the car is just as bad.
I like the way you handle those photo radar tickets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,569,447 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like the way you handle those photo radar tickets...
I get into lots of fights with people on the Arizona forum about this. Some of them agree with me but most don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,198,082 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I get into lots of fights with people on the Arizona forum about this. Some of them agree with me but most don't.
Hah, that's pretty funny. Some people are sheep. I think it's important to defy rules sometimes, just on principle. Most of our great accomplishment as humans would never have happened had we just followed rules and colored within the lines as they'd been defined.

I guess I have a bit of a scofflaw mentality, even though I'm a respectable guy. I think it comes from having gone to a strict high school that had a lot of rules, and it was sport to figure out ways to break them and make light of the discipline we got for it. I imagine I've carried that learned behavior over into my approach toward driving. It sure makes driving more fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,715 posts, read 9,131,761 times
Reputation: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I get into lots of fights with people on the Arizona forum about this. Some of them agree with me but most don't.
So what happens if you don't pay these tickets? Does Arizona issue a warrant for your arrest?

I know Arizona would never serve an out-of-state warrant, but it a cop runs your license when you are in Arizona you get arrested?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,569,447 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Hah, that's pretty funny. Some people are sheep. I think it's important to defy rules sometimes, just on principle. Most of our great accomplishment as humans would never have happened had we just followed rules and colored within the lines as they'd been defined.

I guess I have a bit of a scofflaw mentality, even though I'm a respectable guy. I think it comes from having gone to a strict high school that had a lot of rules, and it was sport to figure out ways to break them and make light of the discipline we got for it. I imagine I've carried that learned behavior over into my approach toward driving. It sure makes driving more fun....
That scamera program in Arizona is horrible. For example, I would have definitely got a ticket today if they had photo radar. I would have trashed it, but still would have to ditch the process server for the next 4 months. Thank God they will not do that scamera crap in Vegas. There would be too much of an outcry here. I posted a current thread where I got involved in on the Phoenix forum. The nerve of these people telling someone to pay this ticket.

AZ freeway speed cameras - need advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,656,635 times
Reputation: 1839
And you wanted to purchase a more powerful car a short time ago.

Does your car start? I think yes.

Does it run and gets you from point A to point B? I think yes to that too.


IMO: IT'S GOOOOOOOOOD no matter how it may look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,198,082 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That scamera program in Arizona is horrible. For example, I would have definitely got a ticket today if they had photo radar. I would have trashed it, but still would have to ditch the process server for the next 4 months. Thank God they will not do that scamera crap in Vegas. There would be too much of an outcry here. I posted a current thread where I got involved in on the Phoenix forum. The nerve of these people telling someone to pay this ticket.

AZ freeway speed cameras - need advice
I am not crazy about the idea of camera tickets. They can't identify the driver, and I think there's a potential for abuse, with them being used more as revenue raisers than for safety.

I've gotten a decent number of parking and moving violation tickets over the years (driving since 1978), and I've answered/paid all of them but a couple of parking tickets that were just wrongly written. Other than those, I've richly deserved every ticket, and that was never in dispute. My attitude is that a ticket is a minor issue, but a suspended license and potential arrest warrant is a much more major issue. I'd rather just take my penalty for a minor infraction and move on than make a minor issue a major one.

Having said that, if there were no real way to enforce the penalty, I'd gladly rip up the tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,569,447 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
So what happens if you don't pay these tickets? Does Arizona issue a warrant for your arrest?

I know Arizona would never serve an out-of-state warrant, but it a cop runs your license when you are in Arizona you get arrested?

Just curious.
In Arizona all speeding tickets are civil (not criminal) violations so they do not issue warrants. With the photo tickets they have to serve you with a process server for them to become valid. They do not send process servers for out of state tickets. My Arizona license is still in good standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top