U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

5,536 posts, read 8,192,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It was in a residential zone. Where I live the neighborhood is infested with cops. He told me if he sees me doing it again I am definitely getting a ticket. I have been given my last break and am taking responsibility for it. I will not hit anyone's kid. Even before today I have always slowed down when I see children around.
It would be pretty funny if you'd kept every ticket you've ever gotten. You probably could have wallpapered your bedroom with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,562,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's true. In the past the fines weren't that big a deal. They were more of a pinprick than a real hit, and I was always willing to pay them because I enjoyed driving fast and pushing the limits. It was like a game to me.

Tougher penalties do make you think twice. I've never paid a significant fine, honestly. I never got the penalties I deserved for speeding, and I'm sure it encouraged me to continue speeding even after getting tickets.
I can add this. I used to drink and drive all the time. After receiving my last DUI in 2006 I finally learned. I NEVER drink and drive anymore. I take the city bus if I go out and plan on drinking. If I get another DUI I will lose everything including my job, place to stay etc. I am treating this speeding problem the same way I did with the drinking and driving. This was a huge wake up call for me and it is now time for me to grow up. I would have been devastated today if I had gotten that $347 ticket. That is a lot of money to me.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I can add this. I used to drink and drive all the time. After receiving my last DUI in 2006 I finally learned. I NEVER drink and drive anymore. I take the city bus if I go out and plan on drinking. If I get another DUI I will lose everything including my job, place to stay etc. I am treating this speeding problem the same way I did with the drinking and driving. This was a huge wake up call for me and it is now time for me to grow up. I would have been devastated today if I had gotten that $347 ticket. That is a lot of money to me.
Drinking and driving is a very serious thing and no laughing matter. I believe it should be treated very harshly, especially for people with the higher BAC levels.

Speeding is a different matter, IMO. I think in many cases, speed limits are artificially low and in certain circumstances, can be safely exceeded to some degree.

I don't condone unsafe speeding, but I think that a lot of the tickets given out for speeding are not necessarily related to safety. Speeding is simply one of the easiest violations to catch people for, since it's done continuously over a period of time, rather than in an instant such as, say, running a red light.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
That is funny...that they let you off because of the car, but I don't doubt it. Perhaps the officer was wondering if you knew how fast you were going? Next time they might ask to check that the speedometer is working.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That is funny...that they let you off because of the car, but I don't doubt it. Perhaps the officer was wondering if you knew how fast you were going? Next time they might ask to check that the speedometer is working.
One time, a friend of mine was driving a really crappy car and got pulled over for speeding. The cop took his paperwork, went back to his car, and my friend thought for sure he was getting a ticket. A few minutes later, the cop came back, handed his paperwork back with no ticket, and said, "I didn't give you a ticket. You don't look like you can afford it."

Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,562,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
A few minutes later, the cop came back, handed his paperwork back with no ticket, and said, "I didn't give you a ticket. You don't look like you can afford it."
That is exactly what happened to me today. I know it was because of the car.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
That is exactly what happened to me today. I know it was because of the car.
You're lucky. He was pretty nice to you. Generally, I find that if a cop is pleasant and official, you're getting a ticket. If his manner is gruff and a little nasty, you might get off. It seems as if they have to be a little gruff to cover for giving a person a break.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,205,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
There has been talk in CA to get those here. People where I live constantly drive over 85. Driving 75 in the fast lane is considered slow. Regarding OP car, its just minor body damage. I would love to have a good running vehicle for $500. I've been looking on CL for a bit but I'm way too paranoid to believe anyone selling a well running car for $500.
They're out there. One of my daily drivers was an '88 Volvo 760 GLE. 102k miles, all records, perfect leather interior, power everything, V6, ran like a top and had no issues laying down a pair of rubber stripes, contrary to what most folks would believe when they see a boxy Volvo sedan. Guy was moving, so needed a quick sale. I bought it for $425 total.

Still, it was a used car, and 2 months later, the A/C compressor went out. In the SoCal desert, that was painful. So with 103k miles, I sold it to someone who cared less about having no A/C for $850.

Why the low price, still? The thing is that due to the reputation of their early V6 engines (which is also found in the Delorean), there's like no resale value on them; the full retail blue book was $1200, so being private party, the price was inline with its worth. Also, that frog motor, although good on low-end torque, wasn't that good on fuel (15/20).

The replacement ... 50% heavier, has double the displacement and hp, can seat 8, and got better fuel economy. Woodgrained whale wagons FTW!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 PM

864 posts, read 2,983,161 times
I've been pulled over three times in my seven years of being licensed and have been let off with a warning all three times. I am convinced that being polite and honest goes a LONG way.

First time was I weaved in an intersection trying to avoid a manhole cover. She pulled me over suspecting I might be drunk and let me off with a warning.
---
The second time I got pulled over was for an illegal left turn. It was late at night and the cop was feeling generous. Again...warning.
---
The third and most recent time was just two months ago. I was driving my mom's Lexus and was on the prowl for something sweet. I looped through the Dairy Queen parking lot just after they closed so I thought I'd go over to 7-Eleven and just get some Skittles. The road I turned out of has one lane going east, two lanes going west and a center turn lane. Long story short, a cop was cresting the hill in the left westbound lane just as I turned into the center lane to make my upcoming left at the signal. Apparently I pulled right out in front of him because he wasn't in the lane I thought he was in. I didn't see him signal but then again I was more focused on the car coming from my left. Anyway...guy was very nice and I got off with a warning.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,299,889 times

DAMN SON!!!!!!!!!!

Someone must have deliberately put those dents in that car. As if they didn't care about it and just wanted to make the car look like pure junk.

I think you better send your car off to Pimp My Ride. Really. This is what they need for their show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or