U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,562,762 times
Reputation: 3745

Advertisements

I've got a pretty good incentive to obey all traffic laws. My post-retirement gig is a driving job, and I absolutely love the job. If I get a ticket in ANY vehicle, not just my work vehicle, I have to report it within 24 hours...if I don't, I'm G O N E. If I get two moving violations in a year....G O N E. They've canned a half dozen drivers for tickets in just the past month or so....they ain't playin'...

So, I always ask myself..."is it worth my job to get to Point B a minute or two sooner?" Usually I answer myself, "Nahhh, it ain't"...

The only time it's really hard is when I take my '67 'Vette (427/435 hp!) out for a spin. I only take it out 4-5 times a year...but I gotta whomp on it when I do! I always go at like 3:00 am...after most of the morons that would hit me are in bed. I usually get on it going down the ramp onto an Interstate...and then get right back out of it. The trouble is, I'm not even out of 2nd gear before I hit 70 mph...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,551 posts, read 8,229,971 times
Reputation: 5817
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've got a pretty good incentive to obey all traffic laws. My post-retirement gig is a driving job, and I absolutely love the job. If I get a ticket in ANY vehicle, not just my work vehicle, I have to report it within 24 hours...if I don't, I'm G O N E. If I get two moving violations in a year....G O N E. They've canned a half dozen drivers for tickets in just the past month or so....they ain't playin'...

So, I always ask myself..."is it worth my job to get to Point B a minute or two sooner?" Usually I answer myself, "Nahhh, it ain't"...

The only time it's really hard is when I take my '67 'Vette (427/435 hp!) out for a spin. I only take it out 4-5 times a year...but I gotta whomp on it when I do! I always go at like 3:00 am...after most of the morons that would hit me are in bed. I usually get on it going down the ramp onto an Interstate...and then get right back out of it. The trouble is, I'm not even out of 2nd gear before I hit 70 mph...LOL
Do you mind telling me a bit more about your post-retirement gig? I'm starting to think in terms of my 'second act' and I'm always looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,562,762 times
Reputation: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do you mind telling me a bit more about your post-retirement gig? I'm starting to think in terms of my 'second act' and I'm always looking for ideas.

School bus. It's not for everybody, but I love it.

Plus, it helps that I drive for a large, affluent school district (not some chintzy contractor) that has 1600 buses. They are tough on tickets and drugs and such...but they're good to us otherwise...full bennies, $23 an hour, top of the line air conditioned transit (flat nose) buses that are a very comfortable to drive.

We roll all day doing field trips, K-runs, shuttles, etc.... I average 40-45 hours a week. My favorite is Friday night football games...6 buses go. I always get the cheerleaders on my bus...those trips are so much fun, I'd do 'em for free!

I always hate it when school lets out for the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,551 posts, read 8,229,971 times
Reputation: 5817
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
School bus. It's not for everybody, but I love it.

Plus, it helps that I drive for a large, affluent school district (not some chintzy contractor) that has 1600 buses. They are tough on tickets and drugs and such...but they're good to us otherwise...full bennies, $23 an hour, top of the line air conditioned transit (flat nose) buses that are a very comfortable to drive.

We roll all day doing field trips, K-runs, shuttles, etc.... I average 40-45 hours a week. My favorite is Friday night football games...6 buses go. I always get the cheerleaders on my bus...those trips are so much fun, I'd do 'em for free!

I always hate it when school lets out for the summer!
Thanks man. I can understand why they're tough on tickets and drugs. It's great to hear from a guy who loves his job. I hear so little of that these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,859,860 times
Reputation: 35910
When you get in your car, you forfeit many of your constitutional rights. If you're walking down the street and a cop says something to you, you can walk on and say "Sorry, I don't have time to chat right now". He then must let you go, or detain you, and if the latter, there must be probable cause. In no case are you required to show ID.

Once you get into the drivers seat, all bets are off. You must prove who you are with photo ID. They can spend hours searching you and your car by the side of the road, at gunpoint, or "downtown" if you do not cower properly. Or throw you in jail and force you to prove your innocence at your own expense, with Patriot Act latitude.

It is nearly impossible to drive a mile without doing something that is theoretically ticketable. Fines are now in the hundreds of dollars for the most trivial of offenses. Like parking with one wheel more than 12" from the curb. And they are getting desperate for your money, and desperate people will do anything. And the technology exists and is in use, which can ticket a thousand cars an hour.

The Brave New World would be a section of highway with 100 cameras over a 100-mile stretch. Every car going 66 in a 65 zone could receive 100 tickets, at $500 each. With no legal defense. $50,000.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,573 posts, read 18,030,756 times
Reputation: 5929
The key word on this THREAD should be "CORRUPTION".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,551 posts, read 8,229,971 times
Reputation: 5817
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When you get in your car, you forfeit many of your constitutional rights. If you're walking down the street and a cop says something to you, you can walk on and say "Sorry, I don't have time to chat right now". He then must let you go, or detain you, and if the latter, there must be probable cause. In no case are you required to show ID.

Once you get into the drivers seat, all bets are off. You must prove who you are with photo ID. They can spend hours searching you and your car by the side of the road, at gunpoint, or "downtown" if you do not cower properly. Or throw you in jail and force you to prove your innocence at your own expense, with Patriot Act latitude.

It is nearly impossible to drive a mile without doing something that is theoretically ticketable. Fines are now in the hundreds of dollars for the most trivial of offenses. Like parking with one wheel more than 12" from the curb. And they are getting desperate for your money, and desperate people will do anything. And the technology exists and is in use, which can ticket a thousand cars an hour.

The Brave New World would be a section of highway with 100 cameras over a 100-mile stretch. Every car going 66 in a 65 zone could receive 100 tickets, at $500 each. With no legal defense. $50,000.
The answer for this overreach is for people to flood the courts by contesting their tickets. The government only makes money if you tamely pay your ticket without contesting it. Once you come to court, they lose money and want to cut their losses. If enough people fight back, they'll be forced to back off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,765 posts, read 25,637,298 times
Reputation: 6729
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It was in a residential zone. Where I live the neighborhood is infested with cops. He told me if he sees me doing it again I am definitely getting a ticket. I have been given my last break and am taking responsibility for it. I will not hit anyone's kid. Even before today I have always slowed down when I see children around.
And, you don't have anonymity on your side, since you can't say that he would be mistaken another time.

I am just amazed that you have been able to get up to 100 mph in that Escort, since I didn't think that they could handle the speed when new.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,859,860 times
Reputation: 35910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The answer for this overreach is for people to flood the courts by contesting their tickets. The government only makes money if you tamely pay your ticket without contesting it. Once you come to court, they lose money and want to cut their losses. If enough people fight back, they'll be forced to back off.
The fine in increased if you take it to court instead of pleading guilty and paying by mail. And court costs can be added.

You can't beat them---they have the guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Still in Portland, Oregon, for some reason
866 posts, read 2,992,692 times
Reputation: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When you get in your car, you forfeit many of your constitutional rights. If you're walking down the street and a cop says something to you, you can walk on and say "Sorry, I don't have time to chat right now". He then must let you go, or detain you, and if the latter, there must be probable cause. In no case are you required to show ID.

Once you get into the drivers seat, all bets are off. You must prove who you are with photo ID. They can spend hours searching you and your car by the side of the road, at gunpoint, or "downtown" if you do not cower properly. Or throw you in jail and force you to prove your innocence at your own expense, with Patriot Act latitude.

It is nearly impossible to drive a mile without doing something that is theoretically ticketable. Fines are now in the hundreds of dollars for the most trivial of offenses. Like parking with one wheel more than 12" from the curb. And they are getting desperate for your money, and desperate people will do anything. And the technology exists and is in use, which can ticket a thousand cars an hour.

The Brave New World would be a section of highway with 100 cameras over a 100-mile stretch. Every car going 66 in a 65 zone could receive 100 tickets, at $500 each. With no legal defense. $50,000.
Wow...somebody had their daily serving of Doom 'n Gloom Crunch this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top