Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am leaning toward the smaller ones, but am not sure yet.
Maybe if you polished up the bigger ones they may look better.

Ever try Never-Dull? They sell it at the chain stores, comes in a tin. That should shine those things right up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
I'm thinking the smaller ones too. Is that you in the pic? No pic of you behind the wheel with a cap?

Btw I've got sad news, I lost the 78 Continental to a fire. We've still got another 78 tho, and I've got the 62 vert that soon can get some much needed paint.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Maybe if you polished up the bigger ones they may look better.

Ever try Never-Dull? They sell it at the chain stores, comes in a tin. That should shine those things right up.
Whichever set I use will be re-chromed. I do have chrome polish but I don't know how effective it will be.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I'm thinking the smaller ones too. Is that you in the pic? No pic of you behind the wheel with a cap?
Yes, maybe the smaller ones. I am in the photo; I set the camera for time delay photo. I'll have to get a pic of me behind the wheel with a cap.

Quote:
Btw I've got sad news, I lost the 78 Continental to a fire. We've still got another 78 tho, and I've got the 62 vert that soon can get some much needed paint.
Too bad about that, but at least you have another one. That is more than some people have.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
i really like the smaller one because it makes the actual car look bigger when you look at it. it brings out the sheer size of the car.

and the smaller one looks more authentic to the book, and you know those collectors are picky about authenticity!

edit: i took a closer look and the larger ones are more "authentic" but somethings missing on the larger ones, would it be possible to find that missing peice and have it soldered on?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i really like the smaller one because it makes the actual car look bigger when you look at it. it brings out the sheer size of the car.
Good point. The smaller ones do give the illusion of making the car look bigger.

Quote:
and the smaller one looks more authentic to the book, and you know those collectors are picky about authenticity!
True. The smaller ones do look more authentic to me, also.

Quote:
edit: i took a closer look and the larger ones are more "authentic" but somethings missing on the larger ones, would it be possible to find that missing peice and have it soldered on?
Nothing looks missing on the larger one to me. But the smaller set is in much better condition. The larger set would definitely require re-plating and the small set does not.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Unless you know a really good chrome shop, in my experience chrome re-plating of corroded original parts frequently disappoints.

I like the smaller ones anyway. But I would go with the ones that can be put on "as is"

I would not much want to mount them with screws into the sheet metal of the roof, though - with the hole in the vinyl and the bare metal where the screw went into the roof, water will collect, rust as you know never sleeps...

Old 04-19-2010, 05:43 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Good point. The smaller ones do give the illusion of making the car look bigger.

True. The smaller ones do look more authentic to me, also.

Nothing looks missing on the larger one to me. But the smaller set is in much better condition. The larger set would definitely require re-plating and the small set does not.
well, no matter what you choose, it will look awesome.

since i joined this forum, i've developed a great respect for classic cars, i have friends who drool over hummers, escalades, spinners and tricked out civics, give me a 1967 mustang, or a 1957 rolls royce silver cloud, or your cadillac, and i'll be ecstatic.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
well, no matter what you choose, it will look awesome.
Yeah, I think so.

Quote:
since i joined this forum, i've developed a great respect for classic cars, i have friends who drool over hummers, escalades, spinners and tricked out civics, give me a 1967 mustang, or a 1957 rolls royce silver cloud, or your cadillac, and i'll be ecstatic.
The classic cars do have a certain kind of style and class.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 AM

The landau bars are now on the limo. I am glad I decided to use the smaller set. I think the car looks even more elegant now.

Here are some photos I took a few hours ago. Some more photos when I get a chance to take some during the daytime.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive