U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Depending on when you're going to purchase the Forester may have an improved mileage score in the future. It just depends on how long you have.

This year the Outback/Legacy received a CVT (continuously variable transmission) which jumped their mileage. Good chance that the US export Forester will gain the same during their next "refresh". Someone posted on another site that the 2011 Subies will start arriving in dealerships this summer (that's a rumor, I don't know) so it mightn't be that far off.

I just bought a new Legacy 4 months ago and a good friend has a year old Forester. She was suprised at the differences in the two (not just the visuals-mine is a Limited, hers is a "base"), particularly in the gas mileage.

The sticker for my Legacy shows 25/32 and I've been getting at least that, and mine just turned 4,000 miles last week.
The Forester isn't due for a major refresh for another two years or so. Next up will be the Impreza and the Tribeca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,977,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The Forester isn't due for a major refresh for another two years or so. Next up will be the Impreza and the Tribeca.
The Impreza was just refreshed in 2008. I have an 09 Impreza GT.. nice fast car.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,784,827 times
wannero wrote;
Quote:
The Forester isn't due for a major refresh for another two years or so
Major refresh I know isn't due yet, but I don't think that would be necessary to slip in the CVT. And it would definitely up their CAFE averages.

And,
Quote:
Next up will be the Impreza and the Tribeca.
Why bother doing the Tribeca for the couple of hundred they sell per year.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM

405 posts, read 1,234,488 times
We cross-shopped the Subaru line while looking for our new vehicle. I do like the way they handle, but the naturally aspirated engines are rather underwhelming, both in refinement and power, especially with the CVT. We wound up buying a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, with the six speed manual. Much more refined, powerful and better finished to boot. I expect to get twice the fuel mileage as well, along with a $1300 federal tax credit. As far as price, the VW dealer was willing to deal, and I spent 300 under invoice, including the really impressive sunroof, upgraded wheels and winter protection package. The car wound up costing about 5% more than a comparably equipped Forester. Concerning reliability, no car company can claim to be flawless, and in the course of my research I learned of areas of problematic reliability for Subaru's as well as Volkswagens. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these cars, good luck in your search.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM

366 posts, read 1,146,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
We cross-shopped the Subaru line while looking for our new vehicle. I do like the way they handle, but the naturally aspirated engines are rather underwhelming, both in refinement and power, especially with the CVT. We wound up buying a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, with the six speed manual. Much more refined, powerful and better finished to boot. I expect to get twice the fuel mileage as well, along with a $1300 federal tax credit. As far as price, the VW dealer was willing to deal, and I spent 300 under invoice, including the really impressive sunroof, upgraded wheels and winter protection package. The car wound up costing about 5% more than a comparably equipped Forester. Concerning reliability, no car company can claim to be flawless, and in the course of my research I learned of areas of problematic reliability for Subaru's as well as Volkswagens. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these cars, good luck in your search.
I hope you really liked their service department.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

405 posts, read 1,234,488 times
Traded an '07 Honda Element for the TDI, the Honda had 2 recalls, one major for insufficient brakes. Plus, a leaking heater core, all this in a wonderful Honda which was well maintained and 3 years old with 35k on the clock. I'll take my chances with the VW, thank you.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,331,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
We wound up buying a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, with the six speed manual. Much more refined, powerful and better finished to boot. I expect to get twice the fuel mileage as well, along with a $1300 federal tax credit. As far as price, the VW dealer was willing to deal, and I spent 300 under invoice, including the really impressive sunroof, upgraded wheels and winter protection package.
Wow, I am GREEN with envy! I have not seriously looked yet, because I do not NEED a new car, but if I could find that deal on THAT car I would be getting one too!

The VW naysayers just don't get it.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Wow, I am GREEN with envy! I have not seriously looked yet, because I do not NEED a new car, but if I could find that deal on THAT car I would be getting one too!

The VW naysayers just don't get it.
I have a 2011 TDI Sportwagen with 6 speed manual, panoramic sunroof and upgraded alloys. I LOVE THIS CAR. Prior to this car, I had a 2001 GTI 1.8 and loved it as well. I was sad to see it go but I sold it to someone who really loves it.
On highway road trips at 75-80 MPH, I am averaging about 43 MPG. If I'm more patient and drive 55-60, I am getting over 50 MPG. One thing that's really great about the TDI's is that you don't feel as if you are missing the "driving" experience. It's still a fun German car and I still get to shift gears unlike other high mileage cars like the Prius V.
On a side note, I used to have a Subaru. It was a nice but dull car IMO but it never gave me problems. It was forever uninspiring. I am sure that they are more fun than they used to be.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM

22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times
The Subaru was no fun? I taught my son how to drive on state forest roads in the Outback Wagon. I figured that he wouldn't kill anyone out there. He reciprocated by teaching me how to do donuts in a freshly fallen field of snow a couple of years later. Subaru's are quite fun once you leave the paved road.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The Subaru was no fun? I taught my son how to drive on state forest roads in the Outback Wagon. I figured that he wouldn't kill anyone out there. He reciprocated by teaching me how to do donuts in a freshly fallen field of snow a couple of years later. Subaru's are quite fun once you leave the paved road.
Well, there's my problem.....the only thing not paved is the Everglades and there's no snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive