Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 6,986,808 times

Advertisements

I was looking to get into detailing cars on the side to supplement my income.

What tools do you need and also what is the learning curve?

I'm hoping to make an extra 100-150$ a week extra.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,839,646 times
Go to a small used car lot and ask what they pay for detailing a tradein.

Back in 1958 sold New Plymouths and used cars. Thiose days a cost was about $150 which required steam cleaning the engcompartment , touch up paint,,couple of retreads,shampoo interior etc.

Nowdays imagine the cost has risen quite a bit with all the FI equipment and fancy interiors.

My guess would be about $5000 for startup equipment for a full detail business....then again your thinking about a Wash and Wax job of which a Dlr will not touch.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Go to a small used car lot and ask what they pay for detailing a tradein.

Back in 1958 sold New Plymouths and used cars. Thiose days a cost was about $150 which required steam cleaning the engcompartment , touch up paint,,couple of retreads,shampoo interior etc.

Nowdays imagine the cost has risen quite a bit with all the FI equipment and fancy interiors.

My guess would be about $5000 for startup equipment for a full detail business....then again your thinking about a Wash and Wax job of which a Dlr will not touch.
5,000 to get started??
I just want to do details on the side I don't want a business.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,839,646 times
Title is Auto Detailing.......thus my answer.

Like I said...ask a car lot what it entails.

You are thinking in terms of washing/cleaning a car and waxing with Turtle Wax etc.

Now days the paint will n ot handle the old method and you could ruin someones expensive paint job.

You are looking for info and I gave my personal experience/background.

Don't be surprised if a neighbor calls the city/license or Police on your endeavor.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 AM

44,543 posts, read 61,222,670 times
Today most car washes have such great deals on detailing it would be hard to compete. And if you're in an resticted area like ours and want to do it on the side in someones driveway with a hose and bucket, it is illegal to wash any vehicle and let the water/soap run into the street.

I go to a local car wash and for $59.95 I get full treament, wash, hand wax, tires and interior for my SUV. For my wife's car it"s $39.95.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,347,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
5,000 to get started??
I just want to do details on the side I don't want a business.
'On the side' IS a business.

I wouldn't allow anyone to touch my vehicles that does this as a 'side' business.

Why?

An unbonded, uninsured service business can create liabilities.

One slip up on a $25 detail and you're replacing a $1200 console, an $800 mirror, a $2200 leather seat.

Not mention the theft possibilities. CD's, DVD's, phones. Keys that get the 'clay' copy while no body is watching.

You see now why startup is expensive and why people take their vehicles to known reputable places?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Today most car washes have such great deals on detailing it would be hard to compete. And if you're in an resticted area like ours and want to do it on the side in someones driveway with a hose and bucket, it is illegal to wash any vehicle and let the water/soap run into the street.

I go to a local car wash and for $59.95 I get full treament, wash, hand wax, tires and interior for my SUV. For my wife's car it"s $39.95.
I have a very long driveway so running the soap and water in the street is not possible.

The guy I works with does detailing all the time and he charges 100$. Here in CT prices for a fulll detailing range from 200 -300$ but it does include everything.

I don't think there is alot of competition for detailing on the side here in my area and I live by Hartford.

Nothing against the people but they would rather have their car blinged out and looking blingish rather then actually driving.

You see chrome rims on Mini vans, tints and aftermarket crap on old corrollas and civics... s

I guess it will boil down to me being better then the other guy and I could was also thinking of throwing in a free car inspection oil change, tire rotation and air filter change. It would be a good way to start doing sidework.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
'On the side' IS a business.

I wouldn't allow anyone to touch my vehicles that does this as a 'side' business.

Why?

An unbonded, uninsured service business can create liabilities.

One slip up on a $25 detail and you're replacing a $1200 console, an $800 mirror, a $2200 leather seat.

Not mention the theft possibilities. CD's, DVD's, phones. Keys that get the 'clay' copy while no body is watching.

You see now why startup is expensive and why people take their vehicles to known reputable places?
I never knew that.

I will do some thinking.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,221,189 times
Here in Tampa, I see all kinds of folks doing detail work and hand car washes - looks like not much overhead - just one of those tarp shelters that you see at the beach. I'd say people with older cars who aren't so protective of their precious paint jobs (like me and my '02 4Runner) would be customers of this kind of service. I've been tempted a few times but lack of time has kept me from using it. I'd pay $10-30 for a wash/wax/vacuuming, etc.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,121,278 times
Don' be a bottom feeder and be a low-baller.

Easy money, there is no such thing.
1. First get experience doing this kind if work.
(you do this by going to school or working for someone doing this kid of work)
2 Get a business lic.
3.Get insurance

Even to do it "on the side".

There is more to know about detailing a car that using 2 buckets to wash it with or where your water is going.

Do you own buffers and know how to use them?
Do you know how to color sand?
Do you know how to detail a interior correctly?
Do you own all the tools and supply's?

I too think 5k would be a minumum if you all ready know how to do the job properly, if not you better get a deal goig with a real body shop so they can fix your f-up's .

I run into lowballers all the time, they make it hard for us legit business men.
Don't be a low-baller.

You will find that your competition will be the ones scrutinizing you the most. they will call the local authority on you as tey to hate lowballers and illegitimate business( on the side)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive