U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Still probably wouldn't stop it. Put your parking break on and floor it, tell me if you move.
well I would use it when vehicle is in put neutral the I would slowly apply the parking break and put on my hazzard lights to warn people behind me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,571,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well I would use it when vehicle is in put neutral the I would slowly apply the parking break and put on my hazzard lights to warn people behind me
That would do the trick but these are Toyota drivers we're talking about. They know the skinny pedal, the wide pedal, P, R, D and AC/Heater&radio controls.

Thats it.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,786,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Your right, GM isn't the one producing pieces of s*** that suddenly accelerate, Toyota is. So i'ts pointless to add a system to prevent a problem that GM doesn't have. Better safe then sorry though.
actually Toyota don't either .. All driver error.. Do your homework..

Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,786,405 times
actually GM is installing this as a CYA move. This way when some clueless driver tries to pull what they did with Toyotas to a GM car, GM has something to stand up in court saying that a 'runaway' is impossible.. Its a smart move..

Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,236,264 times
This is false.

I can't find the link, but Edmunds.com did a survey, and GM actually had more reported cases than Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
General Motors hasn't had a big problem with unintended acceleration, but it announced today it will take measures to make sure it never does.

GM says it will install a new brake override safety system, or as it likes to call it, "an enhanced smart pedal," in all its cars worldwide by 2012. That's basically the same kind of system that Toyota is installing to put an end to its unintended acceleration nightmare.

GM to install brake override systems on all cars by 2012 - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 AM

3,876 posts, read 7,236,264 times
Actually, the brake you refer to isn't a parking brake.

The reason we have a handbrake is that it's a mechanical braking system, designed as a failsafe should there be a catastrophic hydraulic failure.

There's a difference between pulling the handbrake on, and jerking it on. After all, you wouldn't accelerate to 100mph and then stamp on the brke pedal as hard as you could, would you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Ha! Accelerate to 100 mph, pull the handbrake and see what happens. If you survive I'm sure the nurse will help you type out a response.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Ha! Accelerate to 100 mph, pull the handbrake and see what happens. If you survive I'm sure the nurse will help you type out a response.
The same thing that would happen if your car didn't have ABS and you stomped on the brake pedal.

What's your point - people are idiots?

Should we design cars for the lowest common denominator - adding thousands to their price and increasing complexity?

And why would you be going 100 mph anyway? The max speed limit for the entire us is around 70 mph.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM

1,306 posts, read 2,571,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
actually Toyota don't either .. All driver error.. Do your homework..
Yeah, that hasn't been proven either.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM

10,752 posts, read 25,531,740 times
We have more than enough Toyota threads, so please let's not have other threads have a Toyota overtone. People have their own positions, and injecting the argument into other threads is not going to change anyone's mind. Thanks!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM

210 posts, read 523,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Should we design cars for the lowest common denominator - adding thousands to their price and increasing complexity?
Should, nothin'. That's what they're doing right now. The struggle to kill natural selection continues!

The truly ironic thing about this news is that the commuter appliance buying sheep who have been demanding all these improved creature comforts to absolve them of the reality of driving have brought this on themselves.

Conventional brake systems - those which feature a direct, hydraulic/mechanical connection between the brake pedal and the actual brake calipers at the wheels, have always had the ability to override the accelerator.

So yeah. The lowest common denominator - in this case, people who don't want to drive, but refuse to take the bus, train, ride a bike, or walk, have spoken and cars are becoming an appliance no different than your DVD player. Those same people who couldn't program the clocks on their VCRs? Now they're driving cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or