Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 PM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The same thing that would happen if your car didn't have ABS and you stomped on the brake pedal.
Uh....no.

The parking/emergency/hand brake only acts on the rear wheels and sometimes only on one side. With the rear wheels locked up, the front wheels are free to continue steering and inputs at those speeds tend to get exaggerated. And if only locks up one....I would not want to be anywhere near that car. Chances are good it's going to flip over, especially if it's an SUV. My car does not have ABS and if you do mash the brake pedal, the front wheels are always the first to lock up. Usually the rears keep turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Uh....no.

The parking/emergency/hand brake only acts on the rear wheels and sometimes only on one side. With the rear wheels locked up, the front wheels are free to continue steering and inputs at those speeds tend to get exaggerated. And if only locks up one....I would not want to be anywhere near that car. Chances are good it's going to flip over, especially if it's an SUV. My car does not have ABS and if you do mash the brake pedal, the front wheels are always the first to lock up. Usually the rears keep turning.
After growing up in NH and doing e-brake turns in the snow after school I'll take exaggerated steering over no steering for $1,000, Alex.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
That would do the trick but these are Toyota drivers we're talking about. They know the skinny pedal, the wide pedal, P, R, D and AC/Heater&radio controls.

Thats it.
That is a moronic statement that says more about the one that wrote it than about Toyota drivers.

But, that is par for the course in this Toyota hysteria.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
After growing up in NH and doing e-brake turns in the snow after school I'll take exaggerated steering over no steering for $1,000, Alex.
Alright...but trust me on this one, doing anything with the E-brake over 20 mph isn't going to end well for you. The fact that you would rather be in a serious rollover collision than pump your brakes doesn't make much sense, either. There's a big difference between doing e-brake turns in the snow than at freeway speeds on dry pavement. It will flip over, I guarantee it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Alright...but trust me on this one, doing anything with the E-brake over 20 mph isn't going to end well for you. The fact that you would rather be in a serious rollover collision than pump your brakes doesn't make much sense, either. There's a big difference between doing e-brake turns in the snow than at freeway speeds on dry pavement. It will flip over, I guarantee it.
I think you've lost focus on what the discussion was about. You're the one who said they'd yank the e-brake @ 100 mph, not me.

The e-brake on my car is a drum brake, basically like 70% of the cheap cars on the market today. Only one wheel - the left rear - is fitted with it. And slowly pulling the brake @ highway speed slows you down at a nice leisurely pace.

The only way the car will flip over is if you lose control by either skidding or slipping. If you maintain control of the car nothing will happen. This is a backup system, GM seems to be adding a backup to the backup, a "smart pedal", etc. etc. Well the thing that got us into this mess in the first place is the pedals were too "smart". And what happens if you lose electricity? Now you have two "dumb" braking systems.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Your right, GM isn't the one producing pieces of s*** that suddenly accelerate, Toyota is. So i'ts pointless to add a system to prevent a problem that GM doesn't have. Better safe then sorry though.
I would have saved so much money thru the years if GM could have made a truck that started everytime.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
I'm afraid you are mistaken, my friend.

Quote:
Alright...but trust me on this one, doing anything with the E-brake over 20 mph isn't going to end well for you.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Alright...but trust me on this one, doing anything with the E-brake over 20 mph isn't going to end well for you.

Thats not true at all. I have done this more than a few times with conventional e-brake systems in all sorts of vehicles, even box trucks, and have never had the slightest problem other than burning up the shoes/pads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive