U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,636,767 times

Advertisements

Remember to have the change the belt tensioner wheels too. They can sometimes crack and break (plastic) when put under the pressure of that brand new strong belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,898,705 times
Every car is different. Some cars require dismounting the engine and jacking it up to get access to all the timing cover bolts. It can be a pain, but an experienced mechanic can knock it out within reasonable time. FWD V6=even more of a pain.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,124,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
NO NO NO NO NO!

Good grief, post up on your local forums, find a good indy shop that does Hondas.

Let me give you one example of how this job can be FUBAR'd - if you hit the cam sprocket with a wrench while doing this job, and raise a burr, that burr can cut into the timing belt and cause it to fail prematurely.

You want a real craftsman who has a reputation to protect and beyond that is proud of his (her) skills.

I know more about BMW than Honda, there is a network of "known good" shops for BMW, probably for Honda too. I Googled Va Beach import service and got the below: I am 99% sure they are better than the chain garages...

Import Service, Virginia Beach, VA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Very true. Forget about the chains. As others have stated also get your water pump replaced. $550 for all this work and parts is a good price.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,376,036 times
Book time won't matter a whit for a 98 car 12+ years old with crusty who knows what rusted in bolts that break, He will pay by the hour.

Around here shop rate is 80 bucks an hour, I know other places where the same more or less quality from a Independant shop rates are still 45 bucks an hour.

I have no idea what shop rate is in Va, but I know you may as well junk that car if you take to some mufflers, shocks, and oil change shop. Not a Sears either not for this.

A real foreign car independant or a real dealer are the only 2 choices.

The tech gets 0 chance for an error. One tooth off on the belt to the cogs, and the engine is history, deep sixed junk.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

232 posts, read 496,285 times
Under $400 sounds like a good deal really, unless they are doing the bare minimum and are only going to change the timing belt. Like others said, when you do a timing belt change, you normally go ahead and do the waterpump and belt-tensioner too.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,572,538 times
If your at all mechanically inclined and have some basic hand tools and a jack (an impact is nice), it's not too tough of a job.

Remove tire, splash guard, valve cover, motor mount, timing belt cover and bam your ready to swap it out. It's not like you have to pull the whole motor apart. Getting everything just right is the only PITA.

I've done one on an Accord for a friend, I'm sure the Civic isn't too terribly different.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,738,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
If your at all mechanically inclined and have some basic hand tools and a jack (an impact is nice), it's not too tough of a job.

Remove tire, splash guard, valve cover, motor mount, timing belt cover and bam your ready to swap it out. It's not like you have to pull the whole motor apart. Getting everything just right is the only PITA.

I've done one on an Accord for a friend, I'm sure the Civic isn't too terribly different.
That's true but we of the Dirty Fingernail Clan tend to forget how long we have been doing car work - this is not a job for a newbie mechanic, anybody who can still lift their toolbox with one hand probably won't be able to do this.

For example I still have and use a floor jack I bought when I was in my teens, my air compressor is old enough to vote - I tend to forget that most people don't own tools like this.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,572,538 times
Quote:
That's true but we of the Dirty Fingernail Clan tend to forget how long we have been doing car work - this is not a job for a newbie mechanic, anybody who can still lift their toolbox with one hand probably won't be able to do this.

For example I still have and use a floor jack I bought when I was in my teens, my air compressor is old enough to vote - I tend to forget that most people don't own tools like this.
You have a point Mitch. I do believe , however, that anybody interested in doing there own work should own an air compressor. It's one of those things you'll never know how you lived without. Even if it's just a $200 20 gallon oil free crafstman, go buy one!!! Same goes for a good set of jack stands and a jack. If you really want to bump it up a notch, it's time to get a welder and torch.

Oh lord, I'm rambling. I'll stop now .

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

3,876 posts, read 7,238,152 times
Yeah, I'm with Mitch, I'm not sure a timing belt change is a great job, unless you're a fairly experienced home mechanic.

Even after all these years, it's the one job I hate doing, I'm always paranoid I set it up wrong !
I have a ritual of checking, checking again, and then over-checking whenever I do one !!

My boss used to get real pissed at me !

Quote:

Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM

210 posts, read 523,771 times
I think I would point evilnewbie to a site like Hondatech where he could introduce himself, explain his situation - that he needs to do a tbelt job on a Civic he's giving to a family member - and see if there might be anyone local to him with experience that would be willing to come over, help him do it himself, and save a bunch of money.

I'd rather buy lunch and beer for a new friend to help me do it myself than pay anyone else to do it for me. Damn. I haven't paid for repairs on a car in something like 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or