U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,451,775 times

Advertisements

Dont forget that MOST air wrenches are not strong enough to break the crank pulley bolt lose. If you dont believe me YOU WILL find this is true. I have a large 60 gal compressor and a pro model ER 1/2 inch drive air wrench and still not enough power. Honda even has a service bulletin about this very tight and hard to remove bolt......The job also requires a special tool to lock the crank in place when the bolt is removed ,best to leave this job to a pro like me...$.ching ching$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,574,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Dont forget that MOST air wrenches are not strong enough to break the crank pulley bolt lose. If you dont believe me YOU WILL find this is true. I have a large 60 gal compressor and a pro model ER 1/2 inch drive air wrench and still not enough power. Honda even has a service bulletin about this very tight and hard to remove bolt......The job also requires a special tool to lock the crank in place when the bolt is removed ,best to leave this job to a pro like me...$.ching ching$$$$
Thats where the torch comes in handy, nothing a little heat won't fix.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Thats where the torch comes in handy, nothing a little heat won't fix.
Yep.....just dont set the car on fire or overheat the bolt unless you want it "snap off" in the crank.. ching ching! lol

Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,362,274 times
Quote:
You need a new impact.
Get an IR Titanium Amazon.com: Ingersoll-Rand 2135TI 1/2-Inch Titanium Duty Air Impact Wrench: Home Improvement. Strongest impact I've ever owned.

To the OP: make sure you have all the front seals replaced. Very important on a Honda.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You need a new impact.
Get an IR Titanium Amazon.com: Ingersoll-Rand 2135TI 1/2-Inch Titanium Duty Air Impact Wrench: Home Improvement. Strongest impact I've ever owned.

To the OP: make sure you have all the front seals replaced. Very important on a Honda.
Have you used this new Ingersoll rand to break the pulley bolts on hondas? Besides 99% of the people who ask questions here dont have this type of tool OR THE BIG 180 LB PER SQUARE INCH AIR COMPRESSOR.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,574,360 times
Quote:
Have you used this new Ingersoll rand to break the pulley bolts on hondas? Besides 99% of the people who ask questions here dont have this type of tool OR THE BIG 180 LB PER SQUARE INCH AIR COMPRESSOR.
I've got an ole IR 285B-6 laying around that someone can borrow. I'm sure that big ole bastard would bust them loose. Trying to make it work some how is your problem though.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM

12,579 posts, read 12,813,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am transferring my old 98 Honda Civic DX to a relative. I think the only thing I need to do is a timing belt change (oil/oil filter replaced, brakes and tire tread are still good, and spark plug/distributer cap replaced)... I called around and they are quoting me $350 to $380 for parts and labor with 2-3 hour timeframe... Is that a good price or can I "haggle" them for a lower price and how much lower can I go?
Haggle? WTF makes you think you can haggle a price? Do you think you're worth what you get paid?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Haggle? WTF makes you think you can haggle a price? Do you think you're worth what you get paid?
Thats funny haggle? Do you 'haggle" with the nurse taking x-rays of your busted leg at the ER......Mechanics deserve respect . haggle with a car salesman.not a mechanic,,,,,lol When yuppys would try to haggle over what I wanted to charge at a dealership I worked at I would find ways to run the bill up more...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,362,274 times
Quote:
Yes I have used it to break the crank bolt loose. Works great. Haven't found too many bolts or nuts it won't either break loose or break off.

As far as those 99%, I wasn't talking to them. I was talking to you since your impact can't get the job done.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Yes I have used it to break the crank bolt loose. Works great. Haven't found too many bolts or nuts it won't either break loose or break off.

As far as those 99%, I wasn't talking to them. I was talking to you since your impact can't get the job done.
Your air wrench sounds like a nice one. My old IR still works good and I cant justify getting another one just for one project. You dont have to have an air tool to remove that bolt if you got skills . If I used it every day I would get one like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or