U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM

16,754 posts, read 18,975,155 times

Advertisements

I am transferring my old 98 Honda Civic DX to a relative. I think the only thing I need to do is a timing belt change (oil/oil filter replaced, brakes and tire tread are still good, and spark plug/distributer cap replaced)... I called around and they are quoting me $350 to $380 for parts and labor with 2-3 hour timeframe... Is that a good price or can I "haggle" them for a lower price and how much lower can I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,431,719 times
Hard tellin not knowin what shop rate is where ever you are....

Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,905,737 times
That doesn't sound bad to me. Timing belts can be pretty labor intensive and do usually run at least $350. For an experienced mechanic, replacing the timing belt on a Civic will take about 2.5+ hours.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM

13,429 posts, read 42,886,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am transferring my old 98 Honda Civic DX to a relative. I think the only thing I need to do is a timing belt change (oil/oil filter replaced, brakes and tire tread are still good, and spark plug/distributer cap replaced)... I called around and they are quoting me $350 to $380 for parts and labor with 2-3 hour timeframe... Is that a good price or can I "haggle" them for a lower price and how much lower can I go?
I wouldn't dwell so much on the price for this service, I'd go with the shop with the best reputation. Keep in mind if the belt breaks the valves and pistons have a close encounter of the very expensive kind. The very lowest price you can get on this work is lowest for a reason.

I would look for an excellent shop, one that uses Honda parts, IIRC the water pump is inside the TB and needs (should) be changed at the same time, when the coolant is drained is a good time to replace at least the upper radiator hose, I'd do the thermostat too, fill back up with Honda antifreeze (or equivalent) and distilled water.

Do it like that and it's ready to go I think 90K till this needs doing again.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM

7,001 posts, read 18,201,980 times
That price range sounds pretty reasonable. Like Mitch said, look for reputation when searching for a shop.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM

16,754 posts, read 18,975,155 times
How do you look for "reputation"? I am in the Virginia Beach, VA area.. I been calling chain shops like Meineke and Midas

Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM

10,750 posts, read 20,220,270 times
If you don't know of a good shop it's possible the dealer might be a good option. It's possible the chain shops might be good but you never know as they hire all types of people. You might get a good mechanic who really cares and you might not - independent and dealer shops generally have higher end talent (they pay the most).

Also it doesn't matter how long it takes the guy to change the belt, what matters is what the "book time" of the repair is.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,465,652 times
Im doing one right now. Its not easy and the parts alone run well over 100 bucks. Even if the water pump isnt leaking you need to change it also if you plan to keep the car. 350 is not a bad price and some places get 450 or more and this is not a job the average person can do.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM

13,429 posts, read 42,886,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How do you look for "reputation"? I am in the Virginia Beach, VA area.. I been calling chain shops like Meineke and Midas
NO NO NO NO NO!

Good grief, post up on your local forums, find a good indy shop that does Hondas.

Let me give you one example of how this job can be FUBAR'd - if you hit the cam sprocket with a wrench while doing this job, and raise a burr, that burr can cut into the timing belt and cause it to fail prematurely.

You want a real craftsman who has a reputation to protect and beyond that is proud of his (her) skills.

I know more about BMW than Honda, there is a network of "known good" shops for BMW, probably for Honda too. I Googled Va Beach import service and got the below: I am 99% sure they are better than the chain garages...

Import Service, Virginia Beach, VA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM

749 posts, read 2,023,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Im doing one right now. Its not easy and the parts alone run well over 100 bucks. Even if the water pump isnt leaking you need to change it also if you plan to keep the car. 350 is not a bad price and some places get 450 or more and this is not a job the average person can do.
Agreed, I paid $500 to have mine changed only because I was long distance OTR truck driving at the time, otherwise I would have done it myself. It's a pain, especially on FWD, I would have to get the AC compressor and water pump (among other things) off first just to be able to get at it on my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or