U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,705,887 times

Advertisements

I don't think the OP is actually shopping for a luxury car. She is shopping for a luxury brand. A Boxter may be a fine car, but it is not luxurious, either by the M-B S-class definition or Lincoln TownCar definition.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,344,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think the OP is actually shopping for a luxury car. She is shopping for a luxury brand. A Boxter may be a fine car, but it is not luxurious, either by the M-B S-class definition or Lincoln TownCar definition.
She's not sticking to any one particular area. An up level vehicle that is exciting to drive and look at would fit the bill. A Boxster is well put together, and has a handsome interior but definitely doesn't ride like a Cadillac (a plus). The guy with the Audi didn't reply so we're assuming that's off the table.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,847,409 times
LOL at the fact that you're letting a good car that you both really like go over $250.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
LOL at the fact that you're letting a good car that you both really like go over $250.
We specify $8,000 to the seller and we mean it. I know that another A6 will come around for a similar value and we're not in a hurry to buy it either. The seller on the other hand is generally motivated to get rid of a car as fast as possible. We can play the waiting game until our beater Sentra gives out and basically lose nothing in the process. Hell at that point, we would have accumulated income from our new rental properties and be in a better position to spend well above our current preferred budget. The Audi is a great car but we are by no means dying to have it.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,655,547 times
LOL that the OP is thinking that a Boxster of that vintage is a well put together car. The folks buying those cars now are Porsche enthusiasts who just don't have the pocket book for a 911/Cayman or are just really weird and actually into Boxsters. The common thread with the folks who are buying them is a desire and ability to work on those cars themselves. From a mechanical standpoint the early year Boxsters are a nightmare and everything is a PITA to work on. Also, just because you didn't buy the 911, doesn't mean the parts folks won't charge you 911 prices.

If it was my mom and she was deadset on something like a Boxster I'd be very quickly steering her towards BMW Z's or Mercedes SLK's. They both have their issues, but not nearly as bad as the Porsche.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
LOL that the OP is thinking that a Boxster of that vintage is a well put together car. The folks buying those cars now are Porsche enthusiasts who just don't have the pocket book for a 911/Cayman or are just really weird and actually into Boxsters. The common thread with the folks who are buying them is a desire and ability to work on those cars themselves. From a mechanical standpoint the early year Boxsters are a nightmare and everything is a PITA to work on. Also, just because you didn't buy the 911, doesn't mean the parts folks won't charge you 911 prices.

If it was my mom and she was deadset on something like a Boxster I'd be very quickly steering her towards BMW Z's or Mercedes SLK's. They both have their issues, but not nearly as bad as the Porsche.
LOL at your misunderstanding of put together. I'm speaking in terms of panel fitment and overall quality so that the vehicle feels like its worth the extra expense (particularly when new). It doesn't feel cheap or tinny, whether this translates to a reliable car is a whole different story.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM

747 posts, read 2,216,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
She's not sticking to any one particular area. An up level vehicle that is exciting to drive and look at would fit the bill. A Boxster is well put together, and has a handsome interior but definitely doesn't ride like a Cadillac (a plus). The guy with the Audi didn't reply so we're assuming that's off the table.
The 1st gen Boxster interior is very mediocre IMO, but to each his own. What is much less debatable is that anyone so "frugal" is going to have a major problem with an early Boxster repair bill.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
The 1st gen Boxster interior is very mediocre IMO, but to each his own. What is much less debatable is that anyone so "frugal" is going to have a major problem with an early Boxster repair bill.
Until a purchase is made these are all just considerations. A surprise repair won't be an issue but I am definitely comparing reliability between the various choices.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,655,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
LOL at your misunderstanding of put together. I'm speaking in terms of panel fitment and overall quality so that the vehicle feels like its worth the extra expense (particularly when new). It doesn't feel cheap or tinny, whether this translates to a reliable car is a whole different story.
Except you're not talking about new. You're talking about used and cheap to boot. There's a reason why the Audi and the Boxster are in the same ballpark used as good examples of Honda Accords from the same years. Despite the fact they are premium name plates those particular examples tended to be mechanical nightmares.

I've owned enough cars over the years including Audi's and BMW's to know the difference in the feel of quality versus actual quality. Using good plastic and nice wood trim doesn't make a quality automobile even if the doors thunk when you close them.

Cars is one area where you most definitely get what you pay for. If you want to be cheap, you are going to get cheap. That cheapness can come through in low reliability and high repair costs like a Boxster or in crappy build quality like a Cavalier.

You're really stating that you want the Filet Mignon, because it's the "best" but you only want to pay ground chuck prices. Well, here you go, enjoy your half-rotten maggot ridden filet. Extreme example, but you get the point.

Besides, if your mom was so frugal she:

1. Wouldn't care about the car she drove sending a statement.

2. Would certainly shy away from any vehicle with large repair expenses like the aforementioned Audi and Porsche.

3. Would realize that cars are a rapidly depreciating asset and you should do all you can to only pay for the portion of it you plan to use. There's a reason wealthy people don't buy cars unless there a car enthusiast, leasing is far a better move financially.

If you want to buy your mom something nice in the used luxury market, but still inexpensive and keep it relatively reliable, she needs to up her price by at least $10k and it would open up a world of cars available. Hell, for someone driving an old "beater" Sentra a VW Jetta/Golf would feel like a luxury car.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Except you're not talking about new. You're talking about used and cheap to boot. There's a reason why the Audi and the Boxster are in the same ballpark used as good examples of Honda Accords from the same years. Despite the fact they are premium name plates those particular examples tended to be mechanical nightmares.

I've owned enough cars over the years including Audi's and BMW's to know the difference in the feel of quality versus actual quality. Using good plastic and nice wood trim doesn't make a quality automobile even if the doors thunk when you close them.

Cars is one area where you most definitely get what you pay for. If you want to be cheap, you are going to get cheap. That cheapness can come through in low reliability and high repair costs like a Boxster or in crappy build quality like a Cavalier.

You're really stating that you want the Filet Mignon, because it's the "best" but you only want to pay ground chuck prices. Well, here you go, enjoy your half-rotten maggot ridden filet. Extreme example, but you get the point.

Besides, if your mom was so frugal she:

1. Wouldn't care about the car she drove sending a statement.

2. Would certainly shy away from any vehicle with large repair expenses like the aforementioned Audi and Porsche.

3. Would realize that cars are a rapidly depreciating asset and you should do all you can to only pay for the portion of it you plan to use. There's a reason wealthy people don't buy cars unless there a car enthusiast, leasing is far a better move financially.

If you want to buy your mom something nice in the used luxury market, but still inexpensive and keep it relatively reliable, she needs to up her price by at least $10k and it would open up a world of cars available. Hell, for someone driving an old "beater" Sentra a VW Jetta/Golf would feel like a luxury car.
I'm not new to buying cars so a lesson is certainly unnecessary. Her last car was actually a 2006 Maxima which she gave to my younger brother since she doesn't drive much. The Sentra is our back up in case something happens to either of our cars and we still need to get around. VW Jetta/Golf, no thanks. I'll let you guys know when we finally find something to our liking, however long that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or