U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times

Advertisements

If you own one of these older trucks........HEADS UP!!!!

"A design flaw causes a GM truck to burst into flames, yet the feds have done nothing about it."

The GM Truck That Has Been Burning People Alive for 20 Years | | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,283,477 times
Jesus Christ, 600 people burned to death.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Gimme a break. How many million people drove a VW Bug, with the gas tank sitting in an unprotected trunk LITERALLY less than 1 foot from their legs? And how many of those old VWs had a gas heater - with an open flame - less than 1 foot from the gas tank?

Then people have the stupidity to claim that these GM pickups are the most dangerous vehicles ever produced, from a fire-safety point of view?

We might also want to recall the (I think) Dateline expose' on these trucks, where they showed video of a Chevy pickup exploding in flames as a result of being T-Boned. The only problem is that somebody picked up on the fact that the pickup burst into flames BEFORE it got hit. D'OH!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
The Frod Crown Vistoria rear tanks and the same problem and the only ones they fixed were police vehciles by putting a rear tank guard.Rememeber the old exploding shock absorbing bumpers problem;the fix;telling people not to stand in front of the vehicles.Type Ford Firein Google and look at the problems and why I didn't park my truck in the garage for years.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,283,477 times
Being burned alive unexpectedly while you're unconscious or dazed due to an accident is something I would never want to experience. I'd rather sit in a car that is accelerating by itself and slam into a wall at 100mph.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

654 posts, read 1,649,657 times
The whole thing with the 73-87 Chevy/GMC trucks was a hoax... it was fabricated by NBC.

Dodge and Ford also had trucks in the same era with side tanks outside of the frame rails.
PRESS: Where NBC Went Wrong.....
Time
February 22, 1993 William A. Henry III
PRESS: Where NBC Went Wrong The network suffers a humiliating bout of confessions and soul-searching after admitting it rigged the crash-and-burn of a GM truck
But for a puff of smoke, it all might have turned out differently.
Last week General Motors Corp. might still have been reeling from a $105.2 million jury verdict, awarded to an Atlanta couple whose son died when his GM truck exploded in a collision. NBC News might have been touting itself for having exposed the danger of GM's controversial ''sidesaddle'' gas tanks in a riveting Dateline NBC segment. Instead the network singed its reputation, and the car company won in the court of public opinion the safety battle it had lost in the courthouse.
Dateline's report on Nov. 17 featured 14 min. of balanced debate, capped by 57 seconds of crash footage that explosively showed how the gas tanks of certain old GM trucks could catch fire in a sideways collision.
Following a tip, GM hired detectives, searched 22 junkyards for 18 hours, and found evidence to debunk almost every aspect of the crash sequence. Last week, in a devastating press conference, GM showed that the conflagration was rigged, its causes misattributed, its severity overstated and other facts distorted. Two crucial errors: NBC said the truck's gas tank had ruptured, yet an X ray showed it hadn't; NBC consultants set off explosive miniature rockets beneath the truck split seconds before the crash -- yet no one told the viewers.
There was plenty of sarcastic speculation about what happened between Monday afternoon, when NBC was defiantly dismissing GM's charges, and Tuesday morning, when it drafted an abject apology largely on GM's terms. NBC News president Michael Gartner says he simply realized that he had goofed by speaking first and asking questions later: ''The more I learned, the worse it got. Ultimately I was troubled by almost every aspect of the crash. I knew we had to apologize. We put 225,000 minutes of news on the air last year, and I didn't want to be defined by those 57 seconds.'' Gartner also faced nonjournalistic pressures. GM's top management had sent word it would sue via the top management of NBC's parent company, General Electric, a big GM supplier. Dateline co-anchor Jane Pauley, who shared the awkward duty of apologizing on air, told the staff in a pep talk the next day that she took ''perverse pride'' in the readiness to admit failings.
But most journalists and, for that matter, most news consumers seemed to agree with former NBC News president Reuven Frank, who said, ''This is the worst black eye NBC News has suffered in my experience, which goes back to 1950.'' How could NBC go so far wrong? One veteran correspondent was not surprised. ''The whole atmosphere'' has been so competitive and overeager, he said, that the network was ''an accident waiting to happen.'' More details may emerge from NBC's investigation, but it is already clear that employees fell into some familiar traps:

Being an enthusiasts of this body style truck I have talked to a gentleman who still works for GM and did at the time these trucks were built. His father worked for GM at that time as well. He collaborated the rocket story as well.

Also check out: Dateline NBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

Sidesaddle Fuel Tanks

The third generation of GM's full-size pickup line featured what became, well after production ended, a controversial design change. The fuel tank was relocated from the cab to outboard sides of one or both frame rails beneath the cab floor extending under the leading edge of the bed, commonly referred to as
sidesaddle. This enlarged fuel capacity from 16 up to 40 gallons depending on wheelbase and the number of tanks. This also removed the tank from the passenger compartment.
According to the now debunked 1993 report which aired on Dateline, this placement made the trucks capable of exploding when involved in a side impact accident[4]. The faked video was staged by expert witness against GM. Bruce Enz of The Institute for Safety Analysis used incendiary devices and a poorly fitting gas cap to create the impression of a dangerous vehicle[5]. Fatality figures vary wildly. A study by Failure Analysis Associates found 155 fatalities in these GM trucks between 1973 and 1989 involving both side impact and fire[6]. The Center for Auto Safety, Ralph Nader's lobbying group, claims "over 1,800 fatalities" between 1973 & 2000 involving both side impact and fire.[7] Other commentators noted that regardless of the any increased risk of fire, the GM trucks had statistically indistinguishable safety records in side-impact crashes from their Ford and Dodge equivalents, and were safer in all crashes than passenger cars in general.[8]
In 1993 the bad publicity generated by the later debunked Dateline story spawned several class action lawsuits. As settlement GM offered owners $1000 coupons toward the purchase of a new truck with a trade-in of the old one. Even though the trucks met NHTSA 15 and 20 mph side impact crash test standards in place at the time of manufacture GM eventually settled with the NHTSA in 1994 for the amount of $51 million to be used for safety programs. The Fourth Generation (19882001) was designed and produced well before the lawsuits with one fuel tank inside the frame rails.

Chevrolet C/K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the right circumstances ok... maybe an explosion could happen. But you have to figure these truck ran from 1973 to 1987, with probably about 15 million produced. If this was really a problem you would still be hearing about it.

I have driven two of these trucks and plan on more.

This also goes to show that you can't believe everything the "news" tells you.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,056,910 times
Good Lord, here we go again. I had an '86 C10 with the duel gas tanks and wish I still had it today. I always noticed the gas tanks outside the chassis but I really didn't care. I love those years.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Good Lord, here we go again. I had an '86 C10 with the duel gas tanks and wish I still had it today. I always noticed the gas tanks outside the chassis but I really didn't care. I love those years.
I had an '81. If I could find a nice half-ton 4x4, in that vintage and for the right price, I'd buy it. No question.

Shoot, my banger/commuter car is a little VW Golf. If I T-Boned a Chevy Truck with that, I think we know who would come out on the bad end of that deal!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Being burned alive unexpectedly while you're unconscious or dazed due to an accident is something I would never want to experience. I'd rather sit in a car that is accelerating by itself and slam into a wall at 100mph.
True, Im sure. However, not to discount the POSSIBILITY of a possible fire due to the tank's location on the OUTSIDE of the frame rails is pure folly. The impact energy released during a crash can cause many things to happen to any vehicle with a poor design location for the fuel tanks. Thankfully these trucks are ageing out of the nations inventory.

I, too, like the Chevy/GMC trucks from those years and if I owned one I would move the tanks inboard like many of my friends and co workers did during that period of time.

At the end of the day fire is a horrible way to die in my book.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,470,760 times
[quote=prerunner1982;13636842]The whole thing with the 73-87 Chevy/GMC trucks was a hoax... it was fabricated by NBC.

Dodge and Ford also had trucks in the same era with side tanks outside of the frame rails.

Actually Ford never put the gas tank outside the frame. I don't know about Dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or