U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,045,455 times

Advertisements

Me and wife have a 1999 Hyundai Accent as a third car. it has 83K miles on it. It seems like when we fix it it breaks, but weve had it for 3 years and at time has been pretty reliable and saves us money on gas. our other cars a truck and a malibu are reliable. the Accent will need about $300-$500 in repairs.

We simply dont have it.... so it's been just sitting there. Im not even sure it will past inspection, I need to buy a new headlight too. I like this car, but Im wondering if I should part away with my 3rd spare.. she wants me to sell as is. which it wouldnt go for much, it needs a new battery, starter, oil change and a new tire. someone please help me out. lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,850,785 times
i'de take it on the cheek and sell it as-is...move on. inflate the price a tad bit to account for some negotiation...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
If you can't afford a three to five hundred dollar repair how can you afford to own three cars with one just as a spare?

Sell it, save what you get out of it and what you would have to spend on the Hyundai to fix it, and use that money to keep the other two vehicles in good dependable condition.

Just my opinion

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Me and wife have a 1999 Hyundai Accent as a third car. it has 83K miles on it. It seems like when we fix it it breaks, but weve had it for 3 years and at time has been pretty reliable and saves us money on gas. our other cars a truck and a malibu are reliable. the Accent will need about $300-$500 in repairs.

We simply dont have it.... so it's been just sitting there. Im not even sure it will past inspection, I need to buy a new headlight too. I like this car, but Im wondering if I should part away with my 3rd spare.. she wants me to sell as is. which it wouldnt go for much, it needs a new battery, starter, oil change and a new tire. someone please help me out. lol
Battery, starter (on most cars) headlight and one new tire are low level DIY chores, only the starter *might* require more than just a simple adjustable wrench to do, this should not cost $300 to get done. You can probably get a "good enough" starter from any good junkyard, if this is like most Japanese style import starters it's just 2 bolts, comes off the top side of the engine, the battery is super-easy, most newer cars you change the bulb in the headlight shell, frequently this is a bare-hands job, and if I had $1 for every tire I have changed on the side of the road, I could retire right now.

Keep in mind as was recently posted IIRC Discount Tire will fix any tire you bring in (patch) for free if you just have a flat.

Keep it or sell it, that's more an economy question - but you ought to fix these simple problems before trying to sell.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
Well, it sounds like you have a budget vampire on your hands, if the car requires a lot of maintenance to keep on the road. As it's an extra car, that saves gas, you have to look at your total gas expenditure to determine if the "savings" are not costing you more money. If you are not a long-distance commuter, the difference is probably not as great as it might appear, since the extra insurance, repairs, and on-going maintenance detract from the savings that you see at the gas pump. Look at the whole picture with the car, not just that it costs $5-10 less per tank of fuel.

I'd be inclined to agree with your wife -- sell it as is as a handyperson's special. A college student, or someone who wants a small, economical car for a teen, perhaps, might buy it, and repair it. I would not pour money into it, since it's $300-$500 now, then who knows what could be next. And, if your other cars are workable, and there's no emotional attachment, I'd stop the extra auto drain on the finances.

Look for other ways to economize with fuel usage, such as combining trips, carpooling with your wife or coworker (if practical), since you might be able to save more that way then spending money on an occasional use Hyundai for saving fuel, when you factor the total cost of ownership.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:

Sound to me like you've got at least 2 to many cars draining your bank account.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 PM

I would like to fix it for 300-500 I hope, and try to sell it for 1200-1500 range.... I dont know the value of an 99 accent. I dont know if they have any value.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
I would like to fix it for 300-500 I hope, and try to sell it for 1200-1500 range.... I dont know the value of an 99 accent. I dont know if they have any value.
well kelly blue book say it sell's for $1,000 in good condition and for $700 in fair condition you might get $850 for it at most and that's if you spend the 300-500 to fix it up
1999 Hyundai Accent - Private Party Pricing Report - Kelley Blue Book=
If you sell as is you might get $300-$400 bucks for it

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-08-2010 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM

I'll make sure not buy a hyundai again. I think I'll save a little more moeny fix it up and sell it for $1300. I bought it for $2400 3 years ago. and then I didnt know anything about cars.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,924,051 times
Sounds like you're still learning about cars to me! I don't understand why you'd have an Elantra as a third car to a larger sedan and a truck, maybe if you had a sports car or a toy, but as is, its just a drain on your finances. Even if the car just sits, are you paying insurance and tax on it? If you have two drivers in the household, you'll be fine with two cars.

Just sell it as is and cut your losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive