U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
 
10,486 posts, read 22,612,597 times
Reputation: 6625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That's weird. There has to be some kind of tax. It's the government, they never pass up a chance to **** you.
Arizona honestly does not charge any sales tax on private party sales, and either does Nevada. However, Arizona gets you on a state income tax to make up for it, which neither Nevada or Texas have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,695,068 times
Reputation: 2510
I would also recommend the mechanic inspection. Ebay auto has a service you can use for $100, they'll send a local mechanic to the location of the car, take pictures of any problems, measure tire tread, etc, and write up a pretty decent report.

Really, though, since I'm no car expert, I've found the most reliable method of inspecting cars to be by studying the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,700,480 times
Reputation: 9179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I would also pass on the purchase of a rental. My son worked for Enterprise during his college days, "maintaining" their fleet. He said it was a joke and least amt. of time and expense went into it! "If it was running, leave it alone!" was their motto. I'm guessing other rental establishments aren't too much different.
If the car is just one year to 18 months old - what kind of service does it need besides oil changes?

There is almost no meaningful scheduled maintenance in the first two years of most cars today other than oil changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 35,897,089 times
Reputation: 22074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If the car is just one year to 18 months old - what kind of service does it need besides oil changes?

There is almost no meaningful scheduled maintenance in the first two years of most cars today other than oil changes.
Normally, that would be true...but we rented a car a few weeks back out in Ca. A new 2010 Charger....had 900 miles on it....and the oil light came on as we were about 5 miles from the airport. DH gets out, looks under the hood....barely enough oil to mark the stick! Believe me, they are not well cared for. A reason why they sell rental cars with thousand miles on them. And yes, they are beat to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,700,480 times
Reputation: 9179
I think everyone has their universe of experience to draw from.

I bought a rental car - a Mazda6 - and it was an excellent vehicle. It had about 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. Not one issue at all. While shopping for that car, I drove many 2 yr. old used cars, especially Ford Fusions - which were plentiful on the market. Other than some higher than usual wear and tear areas (like the rear bumper cover where luggage is handled) - these cars were NOT beat to hell. They drove well, stopped well, and tracked straight.

When I travel I too rent cars. And the only recent car that I'd consider beat up was an awful Chrysler Sebring convertible. I think they kept it in fleet longer than normal because it is a convertible. It didn't help that the interior is just awful quality and it is a Chrysler. It looked seriously worn for a car with 28K miles.

I find that minivans and SUVs tend to have the most scratches and wear. They haul more people, including kids, haul luggage, and go to resort locations. Boring sedans on the other hand, most of the time just carry business travelers from the airport to their hotel and business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,695,068 times
Reputation: 2510
Whenever I rent a car, I like to see what kind of abuse it can take. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,972 posts, read 8,663,339 times
Reputation: 3306
Thanks to you and the others who suggested I get it checked out, despite the seller having a clean Carfax, it has been in a front end accident, I could already tell it had been repainted just by looking as it wasn't the best job. The dealer I was at then pulled another carfax that showed the accident.

Boy this buying a car thing sure is frustrating and takes so much time (espeically since I live 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from most dealers )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am not afraid of rental cars. For some reason people think that these cars have been raced on the street all their life. Sure the drivers don't treat them like their own. The car may have been smoked in. But a one year old car that has been maintained by the rental fleet may have gotten better maintenance than some private owners.

You should get the car checked out by a mechanic. Ask for a "pre-purchase inspection" and they will check out all the main parts of the car. They should look for any signs of an accident. This might cost $100.

Normally you will pay sales taxes in the location where you register the car. If you buy from a dealer in your location - they will collect at the time of purchase. Otherwise you will probably pay the tax in your county or city tax collector's office (or wherever they handle local registration).

A carfax is entirely up to you to get. Many dealers or sellers will do this - but you can of course get one for $25 with the VIN number. If you will do more than one vehicle though buy a one month subscription which is unlimited for one month for about $40. A clean carfax doesn't prove the car has no issues. But a carfax with anomalies indicates "avoid."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 PM
 
10,486 posts, read 22,612,597 times
Reputation: 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think everyone has their universe of experience to draw from.

I bought a rental car - a Mazda6 - and it was an excellent vehicle. It had about 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. Not one issue at all. While shopping for that car, I drove many 2 yr. old used cars, especially Ford Fusions - which were plentiful on the market. Other than some higher than usual wear and tear areas (like the rear bumper cover where luggage is handled) - these cars were NOT beat to hell. They drove well, stopped well, and tracked straight.

When I travel I too rent cars. And the only recent car that I'd consider beat up was an awful Chrysler Sebring convertible. I think they kept it in fleet longer than normal because it is a convertible. It didn't help that the interior is just awful quality and it is a Chrysler. It looked seriously worn for a car with 28K miles.

I find that minivans and SUVs tend to have the most scratches and wear. They haul more people, including kids, haul luggage, and go to resort locations. Boring sedans on the other hand, most of the time just carry business travelers from the airport to their hotel and business.
I agree with Shelby, Never Ever buy a former rental car. You happened to get lucky. Anytime I rent a vehicle I beat the hell out of them. I have redlined them and then slammed them in drive, done donuts, not slowing down for speed bumps or potholes. They might drive straight and stop well, but I assure you they are damaged. I am not the only one either....


YouTube - Chevy Malibu Rental Car Abuse (HUGE BURNOUT)


YouTube - Don't Buy A Rental Car


YouTube - Why you don't buy rental cars II


YouTube - Rental car - Altima rev erse bomb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 01:40 PM
 
13,734 posts, read 22,928,122 times
Reputation: 18612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think everyone has their universe of experience to draw from.

I bought a rental car - a Mazda6 - and it was an excellent vehicle. It had about 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. Not one issue at all. While shopping for that car, I drove many 2 yr. old used cars, especially Ford Fusions - which were plentiful on the market. Other than some higher than usual wear and tear areas (like the rear bumper cover where luggage is handled) - these cars were NOT beat to hell. They drove well, stopped well, and tracked straight. .
I have never had any problems with the rentals cars that I have purchased - some have lasted as many as 200k miles.

However, do realize that the rental car agencies are now keeping the vehicles to 35-40k miles prior to sending them off to auction. Gone are the days of not seeing cars with over 20K miles in the fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,972 posts, read 8,663,339 times
Reputation: 3306
Every 2009, even most of the ones on the dealership lots are ex rentals right now with about 37,000 to 43,000 miles on them and of course the warranty is expired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have never had any problems with the rentals cars that I have purchased - some have lasted as many as 200k miles.

However, do realize that the rental car agencies are now keeping the vehicles to 35-40k miles prior to sending them off to auction. Gone are the days of not seeing cars with over 20K miles in the fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top