U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2010, 06:57 AM
 
10,485 posts, read 13,615,975 times
Reputation: 6330
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For what? Expecting to get paid?

I actually did this myself once while on vacation. I drove a good 3 or 4 miles before I realized it. The lady at the gas station says"I was wondering if you were coming back". Guess I have honest face.
Hey guys, please don't attack me. Seriously, I thought the clerk was in on it somehow since it has been nearly 20 years since I have ever seen a gas station that you did not have to pay first. I was wrong here as I did not know that there are gas stations that still do that. However, I guarantee you will not find even one in Phoenix or Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Maine
898 posts, read 777,208 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I was a kid, they did that. I have not seen any gas station that does not make you pay first for the last 15 years or so. If the gas station really was dumb enough to give him gas BEFORE he paid they bear some responsibility for it themselves.
Here in Maine, 99% of gas stations operate in that manner. The only ones that require prepay are the ones on the interstates, and a few random stations scattered about. But they are in the minority.

As I always pay with cash and always fill up, I find prepay stations a pain in the butt. Go in, wait in line, prepay, go out, fill up, go back in, wait in line again, get change, and leave. On a long trip, there's usually no choice. But around home, if a station attendant tells me to prepay, I stick the nozzle back in the pump and take my business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Say-Town! Texas
968 posts, read 1,089,661 times
Reputation: 541
well Iberia Parish, Louisiana is a small town, they still do that.

this guy was drunk, which is why he didn't go back in to ask for time to get his dads money.

his dad will pay for the gas, that much is apparent the way he's defending his son. but the kid in in a lot of trouble. from the "bond reduction" the parents are seeking, it sounds like they'll just pay it and be done with it. not even requiring their kid serve jail time for killing someone. a 500,000 dollar bond for that kind of actions? my parents would leave me in jail for a while. before bailing me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
9,012 posts, read 11,755,351 times
Reputation: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
well Iberia Parish, Louisiana is a small town, they still do that.

this guy was drunk, which is why he didn't go back in to ask for time to get his dads money.

his dad will pay for the gas, that much is apparent the way he's defending his son. but the kid in in a lot of trouble. from the "bond reduction" the parents are seeking, it sounds like they'll just pay it and be done with it. not even requiring their kid serve jail time for killing someone. a 500,000 dollar bond for that kind of actions? my parents would leave me in jail for a while. before bailing me out.
remember rich people and their kids don't go to jail or get off easy which is kinda sad because they have diffrent rule's than us regular folk I bet the kid in the story has the I can do whatever I want cause daddy will bail me out kinda attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM
 
10,592 posts, read 7,256,758 times
Reputation: 5113
I just got gas this morning and pumped first. Many places let you pump first in Pa. It seems like in cities you have to pay first as well as out in the boonies. This guy will probably enjoy prison, he's too stupid to make it on the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Not tied down... maybe later! *rawr*
2,689 posts, read 4,244,499 times
Reputation: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I was a kid, they did that. I have not seen any gas station that does not make you pay first for the last 15 years or so. If the gas station really was dumb enough to give him gas BEFORE he paid they bear some responsibility for it themselves.
This is that age old argument of holding others responsible for your actions.

The gas station attendant is in NO WAY responsible for the actions of their customer in this instance.



Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
.
As I always pay with cash and always fill up, I find prepay stations a pain in the butt. Go in, wait in line, prepay, go out, fill up, go back in, wait in line again, get change, and leave. On a long trip, there's usually no choice. But around home, if a station attendant tells me to prepay, I stick the nozzle back in the pump and take my business elsewhere.
LOL... guess you show them. FTW.. use a debit card. Pump and pay right in the same exact spot you're in. No need to ever go inside. But since it's more convenient for you to get out, try and pump, get back in your car, find another station, get out and pump, go inside, stand in line to pay....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Maine
898 posts, read 777,208 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
This is that age old argument of holding others responsible for your actions.

The gas station attendant is in NO WAY responsible for the actions of their customer in this instance.





LOL... guess you show them. FTW.. use a debit card. Pump and pay right in the same exact spot you're in. No need to ever go inside. But since it's more convenient for you to get out, try and pump, get back in your car, find another station, get out and pump, go inside, stand in line to pay....
I don't use plastic. Period. Too many instances of the numbers being swiped. I got a notice once that my card had been compromised and had to get a new card because of it. No money was taken, but I stopped using the card because of it.

Prepay is a pain in the butt, so I refuse to patronize stations that require it, unless I truly don't have a choice (like if I'm on a long trip out of state). Why should I reward them with my business and money for annoying me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: pine tree monotony
2,366 posts, read 3,788,772 times
Reputation: 1376
The clerk broke the law that is a state of Louisiana law which calls for pre-paid gas. Nobody ever flips on the pump for me and believe me, I know a lot of clerks as I see them daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top