Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,397,150 times

Advertisements

GasTheft Fatal Crash - KLFY TV 10 - Acadiana's Local News, Weather and Sports Leader |
Local 19 year old guy pumps his car full of gas then drives off without paying. Common problem with gas prices going up. Except that this time, in his rush to escape, he slammed into another car and killed the driver. So, was saving $25 to $35 in gas worth destroying your car, destroying someone else's car, killing the driver of the other car, and possibly loosing a few years of your life in prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,129,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
GasTheft Fatal Crash - KLFY TV 10 - Acadiana's Local News, Weather and Sports Leader |
Local 19 year old guy pumps his car full of gas then drives off without paying. Common problem with gas prices going up. Except that this time, in his rush to escape, he slammed into another car and killed the driver. So, was saving $25 to $35 in gas worth destroying your car, destroying someone else's car, killing the driver of the other car, and possibly loosing a few years of your life in prison?
I watched both videos, and it is clear something is amiss. You cannot steal gas unless you were using a stolen credit and/or debit card AND you had their zip code and pin number. You cannot in any way get gas before approval so this is BS. There is more to the story that will be sure to come.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I watched both videos, and it is clear something is amiss. You cannot steal gas unless you were using a stolen credit and/or debit card AND you had their zip code and pin number. You cannot in any way get gas before approval so this is BS. There is more to the story that will be sure to come.
You're assuming that this service station has a policy of not turning on the pumps until you pay first. The article stated that "He gets out of the car and after the cashier recognizes him, begins pumping his gas." That means the cashier turned the pump on for him to pump now and pay before he left.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
You're assuming that this service station has a policy of not turning on the pumps until you pay first. The article stated that "He gets out of the car and after the cashier recognizes him, begins pumping his gas." That means the cashier turned the pump on for him to pump now and pay before he left.
When I was a kid, they did that. I have not seen any gas station that does not make you pay first for the last 15 years or so. If the gas station really was dumb enough to give him gas BEFORE he paid they bear some responsibility for it themselves.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid, they did that. I have not seen any gas station that does not make you pay first for the last 15 years or so. If the gas station really was dumb enough to give him gas BEFORE he paid they bear some responsibility for it themselves.
In the second video, they said he and his family were known to the station. He waived to the attendent and the attendent turned the pump on after recognizing him.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
In the second video, they said he and his family were known to the station. He waived to the attendent and the attendent turned the pump on after recognizing him.
Ok, maybe too much vodka tonight, regardless, all gas stations in Phoenix and Las Vegas are pay first. It literally has been 15 years since I have seen a gas station that allows that. My apologies....

Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,801,345 times
Quote:
If the gas station really was dumb enough to give him gas BEFORE he paid they bear some responsibility for it themselves.
For what? Expecting to get paid?

I actually did this myself once while on vacation. I drove a good 3 or 4 miles before I realized it. The lady at the gas station says"I was wondering if you were coming back". Guess I have honest face.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,700,028 times
So it's said this kid wasn't trying to steal gas but yet everything seems to point to him in doing so.

So you tell me what was that cloud of smoke for? I guess he didn't decide to suddenly speed out of the station realizing he had no cash?

Why didn't he just go inside and explain? I'm sure the clerk would have offered for him to have left some sort of collateral and head to the nearest ATM.

And why did he speed away from the scene and eventually cause an accident? Was he not trying to get away from there as fast as he could?

Say what you want to but the pictures spell it out. This kid, if he really wasn't trying to steal gas, could have handled the situation differently. He's 19 and should be acting like an adult/thinking like an adult, not a child.

Next the parents will claim "Oh it's not his fault the accident happened, it was some glitch in the drive by wire set up on his car, and he had uncontrolled acceleration....damn junk GM cars"....

It's easier to point fingers else were than it is to admit your own guilt, I guess.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,896,868 times
yeah, we've already heard how the gas station should take some of the blame for letting him fill up.

What next ?
It's the government's fault, because the fuel price is high ?
It's the bank's fault, because they wouldn't give him an overdraft ?
It's the fault of the highway designer for putting the stop sign there ?

There's always some idiot who tries to blame the victim, so maybe the other guy has to shoulder blame for not going the other way ?

I mean, come on, there's only one person to blame here, and it's the a**hole who was driving.
Nobody wants to accept blame any more, it's all part of the nanny state culture, it's always someone else's fault.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,574,786 times
Quote:
Just last week I filled up - twice - at a gas station where I paid afterward.

Of course, it was at a small town in Iowa I was driving through...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive