U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Default 2004 civic slave cylinder

A friend of mine was driving her civic and the clutch pedal went to the floor and wouldn't come up. I checked the fluid level in the slave cylinder, it was full and clean. I then test drove it with no problem. She insists there is something wrong with the slave cylinder, because the pedal pressure changed rapidly, not over time. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to change out the slave cylinder. Any ideas on why the pedal would stay down? There was also no fluid leaking from the cylinder. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,571,515 times
The one on the firewall where you checked the fluid level is the *master* cylinder, the slave cylinder is down on the bell housing near the clutch. Look there and you will probably find some leakage.

If your friend will just push the clutch down with the engine off, if the slave cylinder is leaking she will find the pressure against the clutch pedal will gradually reduce.

If you do this test a couple of times with some newspaper under the slave cylinder, you will probably notice leakage.

If there is *no* leakage from the system but the pedal pressure drops off, the problem is probably an internal leak (or leak into the foot well) by the *master* cylinder.

What to do depends on the diagnosis, and how critical it is for your friend to keep this car on the road.

Welcome to the forum BTW, it would help if we knew at least the region you are in (humid or dry) as that has an effect on brake and clutch hydraulics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive