Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM

73 posts, read 333,310 times

Advertisements

I'm looking looking at some 2010 Chevy Cobalts online which are being listed at the dealerships around 12-13K with an original MSRP of almost 17K. They are currently advertising 3K cash back or 0% financing. Is this in addition to the discount listed (and any further negotiations) or would the listed price include the 3k cash back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Best way to know for sure is to go down and ask. Typically when a ridiculously low price is advertised, it includes all possible incentives/rebates/etc. So don't get to thinking you're going to walk out having paid 10 grand.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:52 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
It probably is not. 3k cash back is a massive cut, they usually only do 1 - 1.5 k. Though, depending on your money down and/or your interest rate, the 0% down can end up saving you money. Every GM vehicle I've ever thought of getting comes with a nice 6.9% rate which instantly throws them out the window of consideration.

I am not a fan of the Cobalt even before they stated they were stopping production. I read they are one of the most expensive vehicles to own due to massive depreciation and maintenance.

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Reviews, Pictures and Prices - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

If you want something small and inexpensive, check out this list. I find it too be a good list and pretty accurate.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post
I'm looking looking at some 2010 Chevy Cobalts online which are being listed at the dealerships around 12-13K with an original MSRP of almost 17K. They are currently advertising 3K cash back or 0% financing. Is this in addition to the discount listed (and any further negotiations) or would the listed price include the 3k cash back?

Chevy usually does cash back or 0%, but not both.

The advertised price will include all the rebates, typically. There's not anywhere close to that much mark-up in Cobalt.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I just have to point out that for the price of a *new* Cobalt, there are a host of CPO or even outright used cars that won't club you over the head with depreciation, and are just better cars.

Awhile back I posted up about renting a Focus and then a Cobalt. The Focus, a "sport wagon" model, actually struck me as an OK car, but the Cobalt reminded me that "I only paid for a cheap seat" at every turn.

Toyota is getting a lot of bad press, but consider this - even if they *do* have an unintended acceleration problem, if it's all true and more and worse besides, if you buy a Toy with a stickshift, even if it *does* go loco on you, you can always kick in the clutch, let the engine sit on the rev limiter till you can get it shut off, and brake to a stop. But the prices are down for stickshifts just as much as automatics, and you can get the same friendly 60 months 0% deal IIRC.

If you go buy for example a Corolla S 5-speed today, I expect you will still be driving it and liking it in 5 years when it's paid off. The Cobalt, not so confident you will still have it, and doubt you would still like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive