U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,481,503 times

Advertisements

2011 Buick Regal U.S. Spec First Drive - Motor Trend
below are some quotes from the article

[LEFT]"This car's so quiet I'm falling asleep." That sentence has probably been uttered in a Buick before. But not in a Buick cruising along a German autobahn. At 130 mph.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1004_2011_buick_regal_us_spec_drive/index.html#ixzz0mSAJmcVm
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,521,778 times
Props to GM for trying to resuscitate Buick. But I think they need to have a more focused approach to their product line. Are they trying to be sedate & luxe like Lexus? or sporty like Infiniti? or are they trying to be the value play like Acura (and now Hyundai)? They need to concentrate on one approach & drive it home, otherwise it just dilutes their brand.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM

4,487 posts, read 10,282,203 times
With the Buick brand, GM is trying to tackle customers who are looking at entry-level Lexus sedans (IS250, ES350) as well as higher end, mainstream vehicles such as the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima. GM knows that Buick won't be able to compete with entry level German sedans because many buyers that buy a 3-Series are more concerned with image than actual value for the dollar.

The Regal should prove as successful as the Lacrosse if they can market it correctly.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 PM

5,195 posts, read 6,867,630 times
I'm liking it quite a bit, it's based on an Opel vehicle I believe. If they give it a bit more punch it would certainly be a great alternative to what Lexus is offering.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,778,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
2011 Buick Regal U.S. Spec First Drive - Motor Trend
below are some quotes from the article

[LEFT]"This car's so quiet I'm falling asleep." That sentence has probably been uttered in a Buick before. But not in a Buick cruising along a German autobahn. At 130 mph.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1004_2011_buick_regal_us_spec_drive/index.html#ixzz0mSAJmcVm
[/LEFT]
Buick really doesn't need any US sales to stay afloat - Chinese unit sales were around 450,000 in 2009. Still, it would be nice to see more of them around - I've always liked the Buick hood ornament. The traditional spongy ride and road feel are things I don't miss, though. From Detroit News:
Quote:
In China, Buick has a cachet that might surprise many Americans.

The brand struggles with image problems at home, but Buick has been crucial to General Motors Co.'s success in China.

In this market -- the world's largest -- Buick attracts the kind of young, wealthy customers that GM dreams of capturing in the United States.

"The average Buick customer is 28 years old, university educated, fast-tracked in his company, with a wife who has a career," said GM China President Kevin Wale.

Buick is one of GM China's strongest brands, with sales up 53 percent this year. The automaker is showcasing three Buick models at China's premier auto show here that feature some of the latest European and American technology: the Excelle XT hatchback, and new Regal and LaCrosse sedans.

Analysts credit Buick's huge success in China to GM's shrewd reading of the market. Buicks in China feature lots of new technology, dramatic styling and luxurious flourishes that appeal to Chinese buyers.

In 2009, Buick was the sixth most popular foreign car brand in China, where 445,289 Buick cars and crossovers were sold.

By contrast, GM sold 102,306 Buicks in the United States. And it sold them to a different group of customers. The U.S. buyer is 65 years old, on average, and that's down from 72 a few years ago.
Interestingly enough, this means that Buick alone sold about 2.5x as many cars in China as all foreign car manufacturers sold in Japan in 2009. (The Japanese are probably unique in their disdain for both foreigners and foreign cars):
Quote:
Sales of imported vehicles in Japan, including those made at overseas plants of Japanese carmakers, shrank 7.8% in fiscal 2009 to a 21-year low of 183,677 units, an industry body said Tuesday. Of the total for the 12-month period to last Wednesday, sales of foreign-brand vehicles dipped 5.7% to 166,604 units, the Japan Automobile Importers Association said.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Buick really doesn't need any US sales to stay afloat - Chinese unit sales were around 450,000 in 2009. Still, it would be nice to see more of them around - I've always liked the Buick hood ornament. The traditional spongy ride and road feel are things I don't miss, though. From Detroit News:Interestingly enough, this means that Buick alone sold about 2.5x as many cars in China as all foreign car manufacturers sold in Japan in 2009. (The Japanese are probably unique in their disdain for both foreigners and foreign cars):
The Japanese have a pride issue and generally believe that everything they make at home must be superior to foreign products.

This is slightly different from American pride, where people internally understand that they are willingly buying an inferior products simply because its "American".

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The Japanese have a pride issue and generally believe that everything they make at home must be superior to foreign products.

This is slightly different from American pride, where people internally understand that they are willingly buying an inferior products simply because its "American".

Well.. 80% of the time, they're right though.

They're light years ahead of us in so many fields, it's not even remotely funny.

...Ok it's a little funny

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well.. 80% of the time, they're right though.

They're light years ahead of us in so many fields, it's not even remotely funny.

...Ok it's a little funny
I agree, although I think the gap is narrowing. If not in the U.S. then in Western Europe for sure.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM

14,097 posts, read 14,481,503 times
Regal GS | Future Vehicles, Future Cars, Concept Cars | Buick
Here's the real performance version. Sort of like a modern Grand National. I was hoping they'd bring over the 2.8L turbo V6 at nearly 300 hp. This one is the same 2.0L turbo but at 255 hp and 0-60 at about 6 seconds.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

4,074 posts, read 13,410,694 times
I was burned over the years by two manufacturers, GM and VW. I no longer consider their products unless there is overwhelming value in the offering and I don't see it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive