Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, being in the fleet maintenance industry I can find you several hundred thousand vehicles going 100k on tranny fluid. The first line of my post sums it all up, do what the manufacturer recommends and most importantly refill with fluid that meets or exceeds manufacturer specs. Doing it more often is throwing money away, doing it less is risking damage.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive or what you do with it that the manufacturer recommends 15k mile interval, but whatever floats your boat.
A transmission fluid change is $100. A transmission rebuild is $2K or more. There's also the cost of rental cars while waiting for repairs. I've known a non-trivial number of people with Chrysler and Ford makes that have needed transmission work at the 30-40K mark. These are people who bought their cars new, and finally swore off Chrysler and Ford after one rebuild too many. Me - I just change my transmission fluid before the recommended interval. Doesn't take long and doesn't cost much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Trany fluid is usually done on a 30K.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,161 times
I work at a transmission shop we do everything with transmissions. The thing people don't realize is that transmission fluid breaks down just like motor oil and gets comtaminated and also contamintes the filter and can lead to internal problems in the transmission. It is best to Change the fluid every 2 years or 20,000 miles it will increase the life of your transmission. That way you don't have to have it rebuilt. We are a very reputable shop and my boss has been doing transmissions for 30 years. People that don't service they're transmissions keep us in business and flushing transmissions also keeps us in business

Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris97914 View Post
I work at a transmission shop we do everything with transmissions. The thing people don't realize is that transmission fluid breaks down just like motor oil and gets comtaminated and also contamintes the filter and can lead to internal problems in the transmission. It is best to Change the fluid every 2 years or 20,000 miles it will increase the life of your transmission. That way you don't have to have it rebuilt. We are a very reputable shop and my boss has been doing transmissions for 30 years. People that don't service they're transmissions keep us in business and flushing transmissions also keeps us in business
My owner's manual says change it at 100,000 miles unless I'm doing hardcore driving.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
My owner's manual says change it at 100,000 miles unless I'm doing hardcore driving.
I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago with just under 64,000 miles on it. I had to have the transmission fluid changed this past May at about 75,500 miles. It looked like molasses! I don't do "hardcore driving".

Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Flushing transmissions generates profit for garages. I do not care what a "transmission shop" recommends that is different than what the manufacturer recommends. The tranmission shop's incentive and motivation is to generate revenue and profit.

I will continue to do what Honda, Infiniti, and Ford say on my family's vehicles. Drain and refill based on their schedule. Not a power flush.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago with just under 64,000 miles on it. I had to have the transmission fluid changed this past May at about 75,500 miles. It looked like molasses! I don't do "hardcore driving".
Yeah, but you don't know the entire history of the automobile, possibly the previous owner was a hardcore driver, changed it every year and used sugar cane for transmission fluid. Maybe you were supposed to change it at 60,000 miles and just because it looked like molasses it still may have been working fine.

In any case, I don't think you experiences have any bearing on what my owners manual says to do, as it seems you were trying to imply.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Flushing transmissions generates profit for garages. I do not care what a "transmission shop" recommends that is different than what the manufacturer recommends. The tranmission shop's incentive and motivation is to generate revenue and profit.
Manufacturers don't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to recommendations though. My 1999 Cutlass says it could have gone 100k between transmission fluid service. No way in hell do I believe that. Stupid design has a sealed transmission; there is no way I can check the condition of the fluid, so it has to be flushed. I've done it three times in about 125k miles, though not at regular time intervals.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
The factory recommended interval on my car is 30K miles.

Since i'm a DIYer, and have the tools/equipment to do this, I just do my own drain/fill every 30K. It's actually quicker than an oil change.

I've seen MANY cars go 100K miles without ever touching the fluid. I however prefer to follow the factory recommended interval.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Manufacturers don't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to recommendations though. My 1999 Cutlass says it could have gone 100k between transmission fluid service. No way in hell do I believe that. Stupid design has a sealed transmission; there is no way I can check the condition of the fluid, so it has to be flushed. I've done it three times in about 125k miles, though not at regular time intervals.
Well even though GM produces junk cars, and a 1999 Cutlass is a perfect example of the kind of lame junk they produce, I still think they probably know much more than you about when the the transmission fluid should be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive