Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:51 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,878 times

Advertisements

I just took my car in for an oil change. The service guy came out and asked me when was the last time I changed my transmission fluid.

(I have a 2006 SUV with only $30K miles on it; never pulled trailors, usually not in stop and go trafffic, etc)

He said that I should get it done "every year". He said that if I do it, it will save me from ruining the transmission and paying out $4000". He quoted his price and then started pretty much begging me to let him do it.

This made me suspicious and I told him I will come back another time.

Is there anything wrong with this picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
You should change your transmission fluid only at the interval recommended by the manufacturer. Any more is a sham and any less is risking damage. Trans fluid has come a long way and most are rated for 100k miles before needing to be changed. You definitely also need to avoid having it changed at quick lube places as they are more than happy to drain out your good 100k manufacturer spec fluid and refill your trans with generic crap they have, which will lead to problems.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Agree with da Goat - look in your owners' manual, it should be in there.

I think you need to find yourself a better service shop, OP. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, find a good independent shop, not a dealer, not a chain.

And, yeah, definitely stay away from "stupid lube" outfits. All sorts of horror stories associated with them.

Me, I definitely DIY all fluid changes on my cars/bikes/tractor.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,878 times
I thought this was a "reputable" company (starts with an "A" and ends with an "O" and it has five letters)
I am quite annoyed that this attendant tried to scam me, take my $160 for a service I dont need, and possibly damage my vehicle with their trashy fluid. I think people like this should be treated as criminals.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Thumbs down bad advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You should change your transmission fluid only at the interval recommended by the manufacturer. Any more is a sham and any less is risking damage. Trans fluid has come a long way and most are rated for 100k miles before needing to be changed. You definitely also need to avoid having it changed at quick lube places as they are more than happy to drain out your good 100k manufacturer spec fluid and refill your trans with generic crap they have, which will lead to problems.
You have to be kidding about going 100k on ANY transmission fluid. It all depends on the climate. In Phoenix, we have to change the fluid ever 15,000 miles. 30,000 miles is right in a colder climate. The mechanic was not trying to scam.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You have to be kidding about going 100k on ANY transmission fluid. It all depends on the climate. In Phoenix, we have to change the fluid ever 15,000 miles. 30,000 miles is right in a colder climate. The mechanic was not trying to scam.
Look in the owner's manual for most any A/T equipped car built in the last 20 or so years.

The fluids have indeed been improved, they will go up to 100K if not in "severe service" - Hot as you are in Vegas, that probably is "severe service".

It also depends heavily on how you drive, city vs highway.

Modern A/T when it locks up in overdrive is pretty easy on the fluid.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I agree about not going 100K, but the mechanic was absolutely trying to push service. They often push flushes, not just fluid changes.

Go by the owners manual. That is the reference. In just about all the cars I have owned in the last decade the interval for automatic transmission fluid was 30K miles.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree about not going 100K, but the mechanic was absolutely trying to push service. They often push flushes, not just fluid changes.

Go by the owners manual. That is the reference. In just about all the cars I have owned in the last decade the interval for automatic transmission fluid was 30K miles.
chiming in...

my cars owners manual says 105,000m so it must have some of that newer fluid some are talking about. however for "SEVERE" use (which is just about anywhere in the US according to Hyundai. as well as what many consider "normal" driving conditions) its 30,000m. so i follow the 30,000m interval. and i would recommend that to anybody

every year, no. but every 30,000m, as you have on your vehicle OP, i'd say sure. just make sure they are using the right fluid and filter if you have an indie shop do it

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I just took my car in for an oil change. The service guy came out and asked me when was the last time I changed my transmission fluid.

(I have a 2006 SUV with only $30K miles on it; never pulled trailors, usually not in stop and go trafffic, etc)

He said that I should get it done "every year". He said that if I do it, it will save me from ruining the transmission and paying out $4000". He quoted his price and then started pretty much begging me to let him do it.

This made me suspicious and I told him I will come back another time.

Is there anything wrong with this picture?
30K is pretty standard for a tranny fluid and filter change. I do mine per manual specs at 15K in my 3/4 ton Diesel pick-up!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Oh yeah, don't let the quick lube places use that cheep a** s*** in it either. Spend the money on the good stuff and synthetic if possible. Castrol, Mobile-1, Royal Purple, Red Line and others are the good stuff! Stay away from Quaker S*** and the likes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive