Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

I will start out by saying I have never drove into the city (at least not a big city). I have only drove on the highway with a parent or instructor in the car. My biggest problem with both of these scenarios is lane changing. When I had my permit, my parents and instructor tried to teach me how to change lanes but they weren't good at explaining it. But I was at least able to do it (with them in the car of course).

I have no problem with driving on streets with 1 lane on each side (so you don't have to change lanes). I even drove on some multi-lane streets alone with my license but I tend to stay in the same lane.

I am 18 so I have plenty of time to learn. My mom says my brain is not done developing until 25 so it will come naturally to me someday. But I know some people my age (and even younger) that it comes naturally to so that leads me to believe there's something wrong with me. It's just discouraging to see people my age and even younger that are better at driving than me

I know that driving is a big part of life and I will have to master the highway and city at some point. I am just looking for tips if anyone is good at explaining what to do (I know it may be hard to give advice online).

By the way, I learned how to drive in Massachusetts where the highways and cities are more challenging to drive in than my current location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
it sounds like your mom freaks out when you drive. now that you have your license, drive without her in the car. you'll find it much more pleasant. when you're changing lanes, look in your mirrors, then over your shoulders, and if theres no one there you're fine. it won't feel fine, but i'm always nervous to change lanes because i love my car to death. if you change lanes and crash, it was their fault if you looked.

just be sure to blink 3 times before changing lanes, if you get in a crash, its never your fault until your insurance says it is. if you say its your fault you're paying for it whether it was or not. (The other driver might be looking for a pay day and sue you if you say it was your fault)

by the way you will crash at least once in your life. just be cautious and don't be afraid of crashing. these cars are designed to save your life.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
it sounds like your mom freaks out when you drive. now that you have your license, drive without her in the car. you'll find it much more pleasant. when you're changing lanes, look in your mirrors, then over your shoulders, and if theres no one there you're fine. it won't feel fine, but i'm always nervous to change lanes because i love my car to death. if you change lanes and crash, it was their fault if you looked.

just be sure to blink 3 times before changing lanes, if you get in a crash, its never your fault until your insurance says it is. if you say its your fault you're paying for it whether it was or not. (The other driver might be looking for a pay day and sue you if you say it was your fault)

by the way you will crash at least once in your life. just be cautious and don't be afraid of crashing. these cars are designed to save your life.
You're right about that. I have drove alone a lot with my license and it is more pleasant. But me and my parents both decided it would be best if I don't go on the highway alone (for now at least) since I never really mastered it.

The trick about looking in the mirrors then over your shoulder is what I've been told. But I think my biggest problem is that I only have a fraction of a second to judge whether or not it's safe. Plus my dad (mom won't even touch the highway with me haha) would always complain I either look over my shoulder too long or not long enough.

I know from experience that I will crash at least once (this happened when I was 16 and I haven't crashed since). Let's just hope that will be the only time.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
,,,. if you change lanes and crash, it was their fault if you looked. ,,,,,
That is incorrect. That is just like thinking that using the turn signal gives you the right of way.
You want to make safe lane changes, not hinder other drivers. Match speeds, do not pull in front of a faster car.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Remember that you're the one who has to yield when you change lanes (the person in the lane your changing to has right of way), there's no harm in blinking "too long", it simply lets other drivers know you want to change lane, and some (though all should) might give you space to get over.

Pay attention in your mirrors (at all times, but especially before a lane change), blink, check your mirrors again, then your blind spot (look over your shoulder), then if it's clear, execute the lane change.

When you to, don't me unsure, make your decision and follow through, be determined.

Do it loads to practice, it's the only way you learn. US roads were a challenge to me when I first drove on them (Dallas highways, it can be chaotic), but you get into it after a while.

Oh and remember, keep your distance to tha car in front, even if no one else does.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Quote:
its never your fault until your insurance says it is. if you say its your fault you're paying for it whether it was or not.
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...don't listen to this guy. That kinda works for minor accidents but say its severe and the other party gets injured, lying only makes the issue worst. Usually when there is a legit injury, there is a police report. Lying to the officer on the report is a felony. If you continuous lie and it is extremely obvious to the insurance company. They will make you do a statement much like one has to do in a courtroom. If you continue lying during that, you can be arrested for insurance fraud.

JUST LIE is awful advice. You can get away with it minor accidents, usually in parking lots. Many lane change accidents can be expensive.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 PM

What happened to owning up to your actions?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
ok, instances where you're changing lanes and you crash doesn't automatically make it your fault.

my first crash the other guy had his lights off at night, and he was speeding. i used my blinker and didn't see anyone and i changed lanes and BOOM. i got out of the car screaming "my fault!" and he admitted to both not having his lights on and speeding. he said to his insurance company and the cop "but he said it was his fault" and he was off the hook. (he got a speeding ticket but my insurance went up for the crash)

when you crash its an ordeal, its emotional, its scary, it hurts.

the goal is to never lose confidence in your driving, defend yourself, and any mistakes that happen are not ALWAYS your fault.

i got advice similar to what Dub D and ferretkona gave and while it is true you need to take everything into account and make sure you do it perfect or you'll crash and it'll be your fault, it didn't help. all it did was make me a bad driver by ALWAYS yielding to traffic and being afraid of driving.

so, when you get in that crash from changing lanes, if you looked, defend yourself. if you didn't look, defend yourself. if you're 18 or 89, don't let someone dictate to you whether the crash was your fault or not. if you keep confident in your driving and you did everything right, chances are their error will shine through, or your insurance company will say "no ones fault"

ok, this is turning into a long post, but i dont' want to sound like a troll.

technically DubD and ferretkona are correct, however confidence plays a big part in successful and safe driving. trust yourself and you'll usually make the right decision.

the world isn't fair, i learned that the hard way. but don't be afraid to change lanes, and don't be afraid to tell your parents to be quiet when you're driving, because their worry is endangering both of your lives. I'm 24 and i have to tell my parents to stop criticizing my driving when i visit because they are still so afraid that i will make a mistake. but parents do it because they love their children.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 05-01-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
ok ok ok...you're right in the aspect you described but to say "Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...don't listen to this guy." that was rude.

I don't go out of my way to blame the other person, but if you get out of the car screaming "MY FAULT, MY FAULT I'MMA PAY FOR THAT!" like i did when i was 16, you get burned from playing fair.

my aunt was pushed off the road by another woman and then blamed for the accident, because she was in the way. so excuse me if i don't trust people when i crash into them.
The only way to inspire others to take responsibility for their actions is to set a good example.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
It really does not matter what people say at the scene unless there are witnesses. You can admit fault at the scene 90 times but say something completely different when you speak with your insurance company.

Basically, you will get placed at fault for something the wrong thing to your insurance company. The "wrong" thing isn't as obvious as you think and once you said it, you are done. It will depends on situations so I cant just spit out a few words without a long explanation but there are things people say thinking it will help when its the worse thing you can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive