Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type vehicle do you own?/Can you help me decide on a vehicle?
Large SUV 18 20.22%
Small SUV 18 20.22%
4 door sedan 37 41.57%
Cross over 6 6.74%
Extend cab truck 11 12.36%
Luxury car 16 17.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times

Advertisements

They are very expensive, out of my price range if I were in the market for a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,739,738 times
Just wanted to add that even though we have many GM vehicles and have had trouble with Fords before, my husband is still looking at a new Ford pickup....despite my protests due to the fires the Ford trucks have had.....besides I want a new Toyota Tundra crew cab, short bed.....SWOON....they are beefy and beautiful inside.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,052,832 times
I can't tell or even suggest what to drive, but I would eliminate the Pathfinder from the list. I have a rather old one, and it is difficult to handle in wind, and open roads. I have to hold onto that steering wheel as if I were on a cyclone to keep her on the road in bad weather and I've seen too much of it in this last year.

I am not keen on SUVs, but if you have lots to carry (kids, and equipment), why not a larger wagon and a heavy one for safety. The only cars I've owned have always been 10-years or older, never bought a new one--but of those the steadiest, and easiest were: Honda wagon; BMW 320i; Saab 900 and the good old Volvo wagons that hold up come storm or hurricane.

And whatever you buy, you have to include how many miles on the road and in town driving, how easy to maintain and what it'll cost to insure.

Good luck in your decision making!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,892,474 times
How about the Buick Enclave??? It's a cross-over, sits seven and looks great! Here's and article from the detroit free press about it.

Enclave brings optimism for Buick (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070614/BUSINESS01/706140368/1014 - broken link)

Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,213,099 times
I have a friend who bought a Dodge Nitro a while back - she absolutely loves it - and she DID NOT like it before driving it. The back seats fold down and it is strictly rubber matting back there, which makes it easier for her to haul all of her dogs and all camping equipment - plenty of room for groceries, ice chests, etc. Gets pretty good gas mileage. She thinks the downside to it is that it looks sort of like a baby Hummer and she hates the knock off look, but it seems everyone is going to that right now. She got a pretty basic model and it was only $19K.

If I could drive anything in the world with no respect to cost or environment, I would buy a diesel Suburban. Had one, loved it, have never been in love with another car like that one since.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,892,474 times
Here are some more pics of the Enclave............it looks pretty roomy and it seems you could definitely fit a lot in there!

2008 Buick Enclave Pictures and Images - ForbesAutos.com

Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Currently:

1. '05 Honda Odyssey, replaced the '99 model. Absolutely excellent vehicle. Have ~36k miles, get ~26 mpg @ 70-80 mph, loaded. Drove it to the Black Hills of SD last summer, was very good ride there and back. Only qualm is the seats - I prefer more of a bucket type, and while they do have some curves, these are tad too flat. Sunroof, 3rd row flip down seats, 2nd row pulls out, sliding doors, and other misc. goods really make this a fun, quality ride. Yea,,, its a minivan, yet durn, does it handle and get very well!

2. '92 Chevy S-10 4x4 w/ vortex V6 - this is my play rig for caving/camping and/or nasty weather driving. On its fourth [yes 4th] engine , has ~160k miles, gets ~22 mpg. Have modified the exhaust & intake some to get better performance.

3. '92 Toyota Celica GT%-S - my daily driver. ~214k miles, gets ~33 mpg @ 70-85 mph. Have XM sat radio, custom stereo system, moonroof, custom exhaust, and such... have had relatively little problems - issues have been some electrical and a/c problems, but for the way I drive , she is a beautiful ride. Now, just need to repair the side where that durn deer smacked into me...

4. '55 Chevy pickup and a '63 VW Beetle - both are in stages of (dis)repair... need time to work on them. Both were very fun to drive...

As to recommendations, given your situation, something like, from larger to smaller: the Honda or Toyota minivans, the Toyota RAV-4, a Subara Outback, or a Honda Element. If I get anything else, it would be one of those last three; have done a lot of research on various forums and via car/consumer magazines, and overall I really like these. Have driven the RAV and the Outback quite a bit, but not the Element - a coworker and others that I have talked to love theirs.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM

117 posts, read 516,968 times
Those new Camry's are HOT

Up to 268 hp at 30 mpg!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM

138 posts, read 976,898 times
99' Honda Accord 4-door

Looks great with spoiler, moonroof & nice rims. But practical too ! Great on gas. Very reliable. I'd recommend Accord or Civic.

But I am curious about those Volvo Cross Country's. They look like nice cars.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,526,587 times
Reference the GM vehicles: I bought my 2005 Chevy Equinox in Oct. 2004 in Jacksonville FL. Drove it through the mountains of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee to my home in Missouri. It was a great drive and the Equinox handled superbly. Heated leather seats, moonroof, XM sat. radio, On Star. It has everything. Great turning. Back seat is roomy and comfortable. I can haul quite a bit when I get the urge to replenish my gardens. Had a Town and Country which I dearly loved. They also are excellent vehicles IMHO. We do know someone that drives a Honda Odyssey and I must admit it is a superior vehicle to many. Good luck on your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive