Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type vehicle do you own?/Can you help me decide on a vehicle?
Large SUV 18 20.22%
Small SUV 18 20.22%
4 door sedan 37 41.57%
Cross over 6 6.74%
Extend cab truck 11 12.36%
Luxury car 16 17.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,645,820 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone who has answered my plea. I have gotten many good ideas here and done some research as well from these ideas. You just do not know how much you all are helping me.

Tonight at one of our meetings, as we walked out to our vehicles, I saw our engineer was in an Avalanche. I then kept him another half hour, just showing me things about it. DH was mighty upset as we had not eaten yet and he was hungry. oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,695,785 times
My dh thought of the Avalanche for himself to use as a second driver so he can rest his 98 Chevy p/u. He likes the new model as it does not appear made out of all plastic like they did before. The problem was the price YIKES! A little on the steep side for a glorified truck imho. The only problem you may have w/ a vehicle like this is the room. If you have your son and a couple of his friends you can forget the dogs. When you do take the dogs w/ you they will have to be in the back seat right behind you instead of in the 3rd row seating or cargo area. So that can be kinda tight . So the quest was on for us too on trying to figure out what vehicle for him. We have the truck, got the Suburban, got a smallish sedan........... then it hit me. Now he is INTO cars BIG TIME! LOL!!! He likes sports cars but we wanted something the whole family could go in. I finally figured it out one night - Porsche Cayenne. These are the SUV's from Porsche. Read up on them but brand new the price is STEEP. He went looking at them at the dealership and decided to find a used one. We hunted and after two different guys we know in the car business could not find him the right car be it at auctions or wherever it was up to me. I found him one and it was not across country but right here in the same state. He ended up buying it and LOVES IT!!!!! It is a 2004 but w/ more amenities than the new Avalanche for almost the same price BUT the Cayenne is going to hold it's value whereas the Avalanche if you buy a new one is going to tank some (unless you have a good relative that works for GM and can swing ya a deal - then go for the GM by all means). He did get the turbo because after test driving that he refused anything less, men. So he got one in the color combo he wanted and all. So far he has been very happy with it.

Someone mentioned the Volvo and that is another option. The small Volvo suv/crossover. They seem rugged yet classy all in one.

Isn't car shopping fun? I LOVE it but I know being a female it can bother SOME male salesmen when they encounter one of us that actually KNOWS about cars.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,622,984 times
OH hey another idea! Check the forums on edmunds.com There's quite a bit of info on every car and truck made from actual every day drivers. I learned ALOT on that site.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
OH hey another idea! Check the forums on edmunds.com There's quite a bit of info on every car and truck made from actual every day drivers. I learned ALOT on that site.
My other fave site for car reviews is on msn.com and click on "autos" and you can read the reviews from the pros and consumers. It also allows you to compare vehicles side by side that you are interested in.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,017,496 times
Another good place is epinions.com

Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Cars & Motorsports at Epinions.com

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-15-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,645,820 times
LOL, edmunds and I are old friends, but msn is a new one for me.

I simply LOVE to car shop cause I can drive all these fancy vehicles, and justify that by saying I have to find what I like and how will I know if I don't drive it? Even if it is WAY over my price range,

Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,622,984 times
Oooh aiangel, would you zip by and test out a mercedes conv. for me? And those poor salesmen probs are thinking about that commission and you are out cruising lol

Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Oooh aiangel, would you zip by and test out a mercedes conv. for me? And those poor salesmen probs are thinking about that commission and you are out cruising lol
You know what is REALLY sad, as a female you can go into a higher end car dealership (and they don't harrass you either which I LOVE) and they will let you test drive a car or two.... or three No need for hubby to be there or nothing. Then you go over to one of the other guys that deal w/ "common folk" and they harrass the crap out of you, demand this or that before they even let you sit in one, want to know how you qualify then to top it off if you happen to have your husband w/ you they give HIM the keys. Um, NO!!! As my husband AND my daddy does w/ my mama both know and do they look at them and say, "don't give them to me she's the one that is going to be driving it". Love my men.

The first time I went into the BMW dealership (drooled on them in the parking lot a couple times) they don't even approach you except to offer you a bottle of water and don't ask you anything unless YOU start it up. COOL!! I was by myself this first trek there which is no big deal for me and looking at cars but the salesman was SUPER nice. I told him which models I was interested in and the color I wanted and he lined them all up and I drove all 3. TOTALLY LOVE the 645Ci Convertible......... yummy. For a car that is right at $100K he never flinched and OFFERED to let my test drive it. WOO-HOO!!!! (I must say that I did not mind him riding w/ me as he was easy on the eyes ). So I told hubby all about them and what I liked on all of them then on my 40th he came home to pick me up for lunch and totally surprised me w/ one (not the 645 though but still a BMW). Like I said, Love my man .

Old 06-15-2007, 05:48 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,634,037 times
Quote:
The first time I went into the BMW dealership (drooled on them in the parking lot a couple times) they don't even approach you except to offer you a bottle of water and don't ask you anything unless YOU start it up. COOL!! I was by myself this first trek there which is no big deal for me and looking at cars but the salesman was SUPER nice. I told him which models I was interested in and the color I wanted and he lined them all up and I drove all 3. TOTALLY LOVE the 645Ci Convertible......... yummy. For a car that is right at $100K he never flinched and OFFERED to let my test drive it. WOO-HOO!!!! (I must say that I did not mind him riding w/ me as he was easy on the eyes ). So I told hubby all about them and what I liked on all of them then on my 40th he came home to pick me up for lunch and totally surprised me w/ one (not the 645 though but still a BMW). Like I said, Love my man .
Those 645's are NICE! I never actually test drove one but I did look at a few when I was at the BMW dealership a couple months ago. It felt more of a woman's car though than a man's. I really want to check out one of those 335i Twin-Turbo Convertible's but at almost $50,000 a pop (without options!), I'd rather buy a Corvette and still have some $$ left over. Still debating on what to do with the Porsche though...

Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
if someone else was paying, id want a hummer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive