Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Hopefully jail.
I agree. The woman on the motorbike doesn't get a second chance!

People need to realize that driving an automobile is a huge responsibility, not some sort of innate right.

I believe she should also never ever be allowed to operate a motor vehicle again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I say, she should have to do 6 hours community service per week, for the rest of her life, in an intensive care unit of whatever local hospital there is nearest the town she lives in. And, she should have to pay the taxi/bus fare out of her own pocket to get there and back, because her drivers' license and her car have been permanently revoked, with no future right to ever own a motor vehicle again.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, I don't think that's entirely what I said either.

And like I said, I doubt any length of jail time will make her feel more or less poor about taking a life, I think that's a given, whether your in jail or not.

What if it was a complete accident where the driver of a car can't be blamed? The result will still be the same, someone will still be dead, do you still think they should be thrown in jail?

This woman displayed extremely poor judgment, and a result of her actions is that a life was taken. She has to live with that, but I think there's a very distinct difference between willfully killing someone and killing someone because of poor judgment or by accident.

What good will come of locking her up for 15 years?

Well I have only been involved in one crash where I don't know what it happend. My best guess is a trailer I was towing somehow jumped the hitch. That hitch had been locked down for the 3 previous days with a lock.

Another incident I would find myself faultless in was when a woman drove her car into my car as I watched for 50 feet away in a bank parking lot. My car was parked.

What you may not know and or understand is that in the USA right now thousands of driver don't friggin drive at all. Behind the wheel they are doing anything else but drive the bloomin cage. No hands on the wheel, and no eyes on the road...

'I didn't see' isn't a excuse for murder. I have forgotten the name of a South or North Dakota Governor, who was drunk speeding, and ran a stop sign where a man on a Harley was just run down. That govenor got off scott free on all counts. This is murder in the 2nd degree, and nothing else.

It is not ok to kill riders. And if it is, then it must be ok for for riders to shoot car driving fools. Would that be ok?

In the USA with the law working as it does, there is a good chance this woman will be driving agin with in the year, and shopping at the mall's just like nothing ever happened.

I think she deserves a conviction for Murder in the 2nd degree, and should pay that price in time for killing someone.

I ride like I would fly a WW-1 fighter plane, where I look and make an escape route. I don't ride up to a red light to stop, since being stopped makes me a better target.

When I have no choice I stay back a bit and make a place to go which has saved my bacon many times.

At one T intersection I was stopped and could tell the fool behind me was set to go on green, no matter what.

I could tell another fool wasn't going to stop for his turn at the red light coming from my left.

I just pulled into the island and let Mr. Impaitent go, and go he did about 25 feet, and that guy on the left, Mr. Red light runner smashed him.

I smiled when I rode away.....

Driving is no place for phone calls, fiddling with computer toys, shaving, eatting and drinking, doing you face and nails. Driving is for going somewhere you can't walk.

If only the stick shift would be brought back so both hands were needed to drive, less medical reasons, it might help people friggin DRIVE CARS.

If in the USA you got behind a driver on the interstate driviing 45 MPH, and could see them on the phone, texting on 2 computers, in the fast lane, steering with their knees like I see all the time, you might feel more like me. It makes me want to KILL them! They are costing me my time and my time is money, and besides that they are Friggin dangerous.

If I could ask them if they thought they were good drivers I am so sure 100% would say Oh yes! The truth is most drivers haven't got a clue of anything behind the wheel. Most of them have no idea where the bloomin wheels are.

Most them are thining about anything else besides DRIVING.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Well, I've driven in Dallas traffic for 4 months before, and though it might not be the worst place in the US (Houston was worse) it was pretty bad, especially on the highway.

I have no illusions about the dangers on the roads today, especially in the US, but for one, I don't think a 15 year jail sentence will scare anyone out of driving like a moron because they'll all think "it won't happen to me". Seeing as you already have such a high percentage of your population in jail, I don't see how this will do any good.

No, "I didn't see them" is not an excuse, if it's obvious you should have, but I still think that the heaviest burden that person will ever carry, is knowing she killed another human.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be punished, I'm saying I think 15 years in jail is far too much.

I think it's endlessly more important to better help people become good, responsible drivers, instead of punishing them too severely when the damage is already done.

If you look at states with the three strikes, instant life rule, there's no significant decrease in crime because of it. People are still doing stupid things and some end up in jail for life for the most petty things. The reason I bring it up is that it seems evident to me that the severe penalty in itself is not enough incentive to change peoples ways, and lets face it, there's no point in locking people up for 15 years each if there's no decrease in traffic kills of this nature. You won't have solved the problem.

Far FAR stricter drivers ed. including handling classes in difficult situations (Snow/Ice/Water etc.) as well as simple things like keeping your distance. I was shocked at how close people drove to the car in front (at least in Dallas) on the highway, something that not only is stupidly dangerous, but only aids in creating more traffic.

Another thing was peoples complete lack of good conduct, no one let anyone in, often times speeding up to close a gap, again, dangerous and only creates more traffic.

Lastly: Hardly ANYONE used their blinkers, and that's VERY dangerous.

All these things were routinely neglected to the point where people didn't pull over when I eased off to give them space, probably because they'd never experienced it before.

If something is done with the drivers education, both practical as well as theoretical knowledge, I think you'd see a dramatic decrease in this sort of tragedies.

I can only speak from my own experience but we had to go through at least 3 classes (one hour each) where they focused on how to interact with bikes and scooters. We also had to drive on a handling course, learning about the way the car reacts and the appropriate responses in different situations, and I know for a fact that that training has helped me out more than once.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Viking, I didn't know you had driven in the USA. Each area has it's own style. The style you saw in Houston, sounds something like on the beltway around DC.

The thing is this women will get a slap on the wrist.. She might not even loose her divers lic. You can kill a rider here with less punishment than if you kill another cage driver. Riders are treated like dirt. We pay the same as we do for a car, everything, and yet for some reason car drivers feel entitled to ask a rider to park elsewhere, and get pissey hot if the rider won't move.

A rider by law must take a single whole parking space and we get tickets if we park a bunch of bike in a single space.

The law is not uniform for riders and killing us isn't much of any sort of crime.

That 15 years is a walk in the park considering Death is for life. This killing isn't much different than shooting some one by accident. Cars are lethal weapons. Car drivers need to know this. Car drivers seem to think of cars as some vidio game, and I don't like it.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Viking, I didn't know you had driven in the USA. Each area has it's own style. The style you saw in Houston, sounds something like on the beltway around DC.

The thing is this women will get a slap on the wrist.. She might not even loose her divers lic. You can kill a rider here with less punishment than if you kill another cage driver. Riders are treated like dirt. We pay the same as we do for a car, everything, and yet for some reason car drivers feel entitled to ask a rider to park elsewhere, and get pissey hot if the rider won't move.

A rider by law must take a single whole parking space and we get tickets if we park a bunch of bike in a single space.

The law is not uniform for riders and killing us isn't much of any sort of crime.

That 15 years is a walk in the park considering Death is for life. This killing isn't much different than shooting some one by accident. Cars are lethal weapons. Car drivers need to know this. Car drivers seem to think of cars as some vidio game, and I don't like it.
Well I don't think you should get 15 yeas in jail for accidentally shooting someone either (like a hunting accident).

Like I said, I don't think she should get off with no punishment and I've never said that. I've stated before what I think would be appropriate sentence.

And again, I think better drivers ed. would be far more successful than more prison time.

Again, that's my opinion.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Viking, Yeah I understand your points and yer views. It is my opinion she gets 0 punishment. In the USA you can kill riders all day long and just about get a medal fer it.

IMO life should be the old ways... a eye for a eye, a life for a life, since then it has impact.

If some wacho driver kills my wife I will kill that driver. If I lost my wife I would have 0 reason to live. No court or band of lawyers, not even Humpty Dumpty will save anyone no matter who from my rath if they kill my wife. I would be all over that like a Nightmare. Anyone standing in my way would be deemed dead 5 seconds before I shot them.

I admitt I am hard core. but I don't live like most people do. I am sick and tired if the failed systems, the graft, the cheats and the corruption.

Viking don't take this personal, it isn't ment for you that way.

The point is I ride and ride armed because I am armed because the system is a joke, and the message is that rider you just banged up might be me, and , well and, the last thing I will want to see is make up, shaving kits, tooth brushes, phones and or computers.

I see cars as 1 ton bullets nothing more.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Don't worry I don't take disagreements personally.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
She wasn't driving, she was just a passenger in the drivers seat, she stopped being the driver when she chose to do her nails.

This week a 16 year old student was killed in a head-on while retrieving a text message on her cell phone, which is now illegal in NC. Asheville Police Department determines cause of fatal wreck on Long Shoals Road | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

When in hell are people going to wake up and realize your appearance, that text message, finding a the right cd to put in the deck is not worth your life.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
LOL, this lady is not going to prison or even jail. All she is going to get is a slap on the wrist via fine and lots of community service.

Why?

Because she is a female. There is a massive double standard with women commiting crimes, they always get a much weaker sentence compared to a male. Though, since she killed another female maybe this rule doesn't apply as strongly but enough where she isn't going to spend time behind bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive