Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:16 AM

50 posts, read 253,794 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a new car for my teenage children. I had very bad experience of used car purchasing in California, so I want to buy a small, affordable new car especially Hyundai. What I am wondering is that I don't see many Hyundai car on the street. For last couple of days, my family checked the brand of cars whenever we are outside, and we found only one Hyundai car on the street. Considering pretty good online reviews and better warranty program of Hyundai, I think this is weird. Is there any specific trend here about car brand like resale value? This is the first time car buying in this area, so any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
I see Hyundais all the time. I think that the reason you are not seeing them is because you don't really know what to look for. . . . except for a tiny badge on the trunklid. Here is what their smallest, most inexpensive car looks like.

Hyundai Accent: Safe, Small Cars - More Interior Than Corolla & Civic | Hyundai (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2010/accent-3-door/ - broken link)

Hyundai has made vast improvements in their quality and styling in the past few years. They still have a bit of progress to make in other areas (i.e., use of lightweight metals instead of steel, more advanced engines, etc) but I would actually consider buying one now for a family car. That wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM

67 posts, read 174,591 times
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Hyundia/Honda are good dependable cars. I have an '08 Civic and it is a very good car. Goto KBB.com or edmunds.com and research.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
There are plenty of Hyundais around, but it is a brand that only recently has been getting noticed by the general public. Personally, while I do like the design of a number of their new vehicles (especially the new Genesis, both the coupe and the sedan), I wouldn't buy one for a few more years until I see how good the reliability really is.

As a fellow former Californian, I will say you will notice much less foreign vehicles on the road here than you do out there. Perhaps that's influencing what you see.

While I understand you've been burned on used vehicles before, I would not discount them categorically. I would imagine insurance on a brand new vehicle that will be driven mostly by teenagers cannot be cheap. Perhaps a certified pre-owned vehicle with a factory-backed warranty would be a good choice?

Mike

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

871 posts, read 3,008,899 times
A new car (for most teens) is a mistake. Let them learn how to change a flat, check/add/change oil, fill tires, add washer fluid, other basic maintenance AND have the nicks/dents/fender-benders they are going to have in a good, solid, dependable used car preferably 5+ years old. It will make a world of difference on everything from insurance to repairs to peace of mind if something gets damaged on a used car. I could write for hours on this topic but here's a few pieces of advice I'll put out here for your consideration:

A good used car would be 4 cylinders (to reduce temptation to show off, and better gas mileage), some structural beef (Volvo, Subaru, small SUV) and good maintenance records. Many people beat the daylights out of their cars and just move on to another one when done with it. I have had tremendous good luck with the few used cars I have bought and they make more sense to own than new in many cases.

I am a complete Subaru fanatic. They have full-time AWD, good collision protection (beefy in the Outback, especially) and although the all-wheel drive does not give it the highest gas mileage you'll find, there's a great tradeoff with the durability of the car and the safety of the AWD and solid construction that would protect in an emergency.

Teens should know all the basics I described above regarding simple maintenance that they will need to know during their lives. Don't skimp on this. Teach them how to replace wiper blades, tail light bulbs and all bulbs, keep glass clean inside and out, the fact that sun visors also swing out to shield eyes from peripheral sun glare, loosening lug nuts before you begin to jack up the car and loosening/tinghtening them always one opposite the other and not in sequential order like on a clock. Perhaps you know all of this but I like to share.

So, I would go with 2000-2005 vehicle, do my research on best make/model/year of same and pick a winner that has been well-maintained. Have your dependable local mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection if you buy privately and you won't be sorry. There's more but the boss wants me. Good luck.

p.s. A used Hyundai would be an option I would eliminate completely. You would be regretting it instantly, IMO.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,721,865 times
I see Hyundais all the time. We love my wife's 2006 Sonata. No issues whatsoever plus loaded well with options for her.

I think hyundai is years ahead of what they were 10 years ago.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,519,399 times
Unless your kid has plenty experience I would't get a new car either. Just something dependable that won't bother you as much if he/she totals it.

But to answer your question. I wouldn't be afraid of a Hyundai. But I wouldn't buy their cheapest model either. I like the Sonata.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
I'd look for something a few years old - still pretty new but old enough not to be too expensive. The biggest factors in new-driver crashes are distractions and inexperience, so I'd go with a two-seater car - less passengers, and thus less distraction.

I'd also buy a manual transmission car - you have to pay more attention when you drive a manual, it forces new drivers (all drivers, really) to pay attention to the road.

Depending on your budget, there are plenty of good 3-5 yr old cars for a new driver. The Mini, Miata, Sentra, a Civic, or Mazda 3 are all good cars. Small enough to easily control, not overly powerful, relatively inexpensive yet appealing to a teen, and can be found with manual transmissions. Good on gas and insurance too.

Has your child expressed any interest in what car they might want?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,236,040 times
We had a Hyundai Sonata for awhile and really liked it- it was an 03.

If the kids pay for at least some of the car expenses on their own, they'll appreciate it more!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM

345 posts, read 1,057,020 times
We bought ours an '06 Scion TC 6 months ago. 5 speed manual. Great on gas, and she loves her little car. It's got enough pep to get around well, but not so much she will be street racing in it. We spent MONTHS researching, test driving...I just about needed meds to make it through.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!! .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive