U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM

12,002 posts, read 10,614,080 times

Advertisements

AAA Home

This is interesting, I don't agree 100%, but it's pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM

6,540 posts, read 14,901,186 times
Your link just goes to the AAA home page asking for zipcodes.

I will not give up my drink holder!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM

12,002 posts, read 10,614,080 times
Try this, sorry for the bad link.

www.aaa.com redirect

Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,851,593 times
Manuals, full size spares, bench seats and drum brakes are things I don't want to see go.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM

4,487 posts, read 10,140,934 times
I don't agree with all of them mainly manual transmissions and fabric convertible tops. Manual transmissions will ALWAYS be an option on any sports car, many purists like myself wouldn't ever purchase a sports car with an automatic transmission. They can keep their ****-ass paddle shifters, give me a good 'ol stick anyday of the week!

Fabric convertible tops may be going in some vehicles but I actually prefer a soft top on my Corvette versus having a hard convertible top. Hardtop convertible add a considerable amount of weight to a vehicle and will always take up more trunk space than a soft top (sorry AAA, Mazda is the exception, not the rule).

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,283,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Try this, sorry for the bad link.

www.aaa.com redirect

bad link too

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM

6,779 posts, read 21,524,269 times
It's not a bad link.
AAA website automatically redirects users based on their URL/region.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,283,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's not a bad link.
AAA website automatically redirects users based on their URL/region.
first link now works.. second one does not

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM

13,596 posts, read 17,120,004 times
Seems to be an OK list.

Ashtrays and lighters - This has been going on for a long time. Most cars offer the "smokers convenience package" which is a cup holder ashtry and a plug-in lighter. Whatever.

Bench seats - I can see these sticking around in full size American cars. A lot of older people prefer the bench seat and the "spread" room that it gives you.

Mechanical door locks and manual mirrors - This to me is the ultimate in stupid cost cutting. If it was standardized to all models, the per unit cost would be less. This is just something people tend to expect when buying a new car.

Drum brakes - They definitely serve their purpose, but again, why bother when discs perform better and the cost difference is marginal. I personally wouldn't buy a new car with drum rears.

Hubcaps - I think steel wheels still have a place especially in commercial and fleet applications, but the aesthetic design needs to be improved. I've always hated hubcaps and see no point in them.

Full-size spares - Most cars have a doughnut and even more are trending toward an inflation kit in place of even that. I for one really don't care. The full size spare is heavy and takes up a lot of space. On top of that as soon as your tires are worn down to 75% or more the full size spare is no longer a matching tire and running it for prolonged periods can damage diffs and it's even worse in a 4WD/AWD application.

CD players - The current trend is moving away fast from multi-disc CD systems, which is great, because the damn things always break. Technology advances and these days the CD player is still a necessity, but will go the way of cassette's and 8-track.

Fabric convertibles - This one I'm not so sure about. The hard top systems are heavy and bulky. I think true roadsters (yes I know the Miata has a folding hard top option) will stick with fabric tops. This may be more of a trend with sedans as the hard top definitely provides a lot of nice things the fabric can't.

Manual transmissions - I think these will always be available in enthusiast cars. The trend is moving away from even that, but I don't think you will see the death of the manual trans anytime soon. Where they may completely die out is as options on regular cars, which they pretty much have.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

12,761 posts, read 13,023,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Manuals, full size spares, bench seats and drum brakes are things I don't want to see go.
Why do you like drum brakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive