Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of experience the Prius' and their maintenance. First things first, they require no special maintenance versus any other car. The only part of the entire system that is "serviceable" is the gas engine and that works just like any other car. Unfortunately the dealer(stealer)ships feel it's OK to charge crazy amounts for routine maintenance and the Toyota guys like to gouge Prius owners even more.

Here's what needs to be done at this service interval:

-Oil and filter change.
-Tire rotation.
-Engine air filter.
-Cabin air filter.
-Various inspections including brakes.

So, the only thing different than any other service interval on the Prius are the inspections and engine/cabin filter. The inspections are NOT inspections of the hybrid drive system as it is a sealed non-serviceable system. The inspections are for routine things like shocks, CV boots, brakes, etc.

My recommendation would be to take the car to a decent local mechanic. They will be able to change the oil, rotate the tires and perform the regular inspections. The filters are something very easy to buy and change yourself, or just have the local guy do it.

The price if you follow what Toyota recommends should be:

-Oil change: ~$60 do to the price of the recommended oil and this should include the "inspection".

-Tire rotation: ~$10, but if they are doing a proper inspection this should be free, but I wouldn't argue with a good local guy if the charge was nominal like what I listed.

-Filters: ~$40 for the filters themselves and if they are doing the oil change and inspection they should be able to install them for free or another nominal charge like $10.

So, all together you are looking at about $110 for the service you need. Remember, when it comes to maintenance your Prius is the same as every other car on the road. Good thing you got the extended warranty on the battery pack, because a Prius is pretty much a throw away when the batteries go (how green is that?).

The only other area to pay attention to are the tires. The stock Goodyear Integrities are designed for fuel economy and they wear fast and don't perform well in rain/snow. When the current tires are worn it is time to change them out for regular tires in the Prius size. The Prius OEM Integrities are expensive and overall a pretty crappy tire. Also, if the tires on the car are original, you may want to really think about replacing them. Tires have a shelf life, not just a tread life. If your tires are original they are most likely beyond their shelf life and should be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I've read about people really getting shafted on the cabin air filter change. It's no great mystery--anyone can do it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I have a lot of experience the Prius' and their maintenance. First things first, they require no special maintenance versus any other car. The only part of the entire system that is "serviceable" is the gas engine and that works just like any other car. Unfortunately the dealer(stealer)ships feel it's OK to charge crazy amounts for routine maintenance and the Toyota guys like to gouge Prius owners even more.

-Oil and filter change.
-Tire rotation.
-Engine air filter.
-Cabin air filter.

So, the only thing different than any other service interval on the Prius are the inspections and engine/cabin filter. The inspections are NOT inspections of the hybrid drive system as it is a sealed non-serviceable system. The inspections are for routine things like shocks, CV boots, brakes, etc.

My recommendation would be to take the car to a decent local mechanic. They will be able to change the oil, rotate the tires and perform the regular inspections. The filters are something very easy to buy and change yourself, or just have the local guy do it.

-Oil change: ~$60 do to the price of the recommended oil and this should include the "inspection".

-Tire rotation: ~$10, but if they are doing a proper inspection this should be free, but I wouldn't argue with a good local guy if the charge was nominal like what I listed.

-Filters: ~$40 for the filters themselves and if they are doing the oil change and inspection they should be able to install them for free or another nominal charge like $10.

So, all together you are looking at about $110 for the service you need. Remember, when it comes to maintenance your Prius is the same as every other car on the road. Good thing you got the extended warranty on the battery pack, because a Prius is pretty much a throw away when the batteries go (how green is that?).

The only other area to pay attention to are the tires. The stock Goodyear Integrities are designed for fuel economy and they wear fast and don't perform well in rain/snow. When the current tires are worn it is time to change them out for regular tires in the Prius size. The Prius OEM Integrities are expensive and overall a pretty crappy tire. Also, if the tires on the car are original, you may want to really think about replacing them. Tires have a shelf life, not just a tread life. If your tires are original they are most likely beyond their shelf life and should be replaced.

OMG, you guys are wonderful! I'm so glad I asked my original question! I certainly won't go to the dealership to get screwed. Thanks so much! (consider that a kissy icon)

Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
its not a lot for preventive maintenance, but its a lot for unnecessary maintenance and what is often times no maintenance at all when it comes to dealer "inspections" and what not

better to find out what the car might really need so far as useful maintenance that will make a real difference down the road if spending that much money. heck, for $400 i could do a lot more substantial things to a car at 30,000m then have the fluids topped off, brakes inspected, and tires rotated.

however this IS a hybrid so maybe it requires special care?
I never said $400 was reasonable for this particular situation. I have no idea what is required for a Prius at 30K. But $400 every two years to keep a car running isn't all that much money. I suspect the Toyota dealer in this case is suggesting more service than required. Just about all dealers to do this.

Over 30K miles - a car should need 4-5 oil changes @ $40 or so. Many vehicles need a transmission fluid change @ $50 or so. Maybe pay someone to check fluid levels.

I wouldn't pay for many of these items since I'd do it myself. But most people don't service their vehicles. They need a mechanic.

My Honda Ridgeline has required far less than $400 per 30K miles. But if it had - I probably wouldn't think it is overall excessive.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

-Oil and filter change.
-Tire rotation.
-Engine air filter.
-Cabin air filter.

Excellent post.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Like I posted, the Prius had only been on the lot for an hour before it's new "Momma" came in. All that stuff should have been done before I took the keys, right? Unless it leaks something, it should still be all set, right? I bought it in December, now that I think about it.

So what do I do, just keep the paper work from where I take it to show I had the work done? Toyota has to accept that work, right? They can't say my warranty is null and void because I didn't take it to the dealership? IDK, I've never had to do this before. My Fords/Mercurys and Saturn, I never balked at the service charge. THIS I am balking at!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Like I posted, the Prius had only been on the lot for an hour before it's new "Momma" came in. All that stuff should have been done before I took the keys, right? Unless it leaks something, it should still be all set, right? I bought it in December, now that I think about it.

So what do I do, just keep the paper work from where I take it to show I had the work done? Toyota has to accept that work, right? They can't say my warranty is null and void because I didn't take it to the dealership? IDK, I've never had to do this before. My Fords/Mercurys and Saturn, I never balked at the service charge. THIS I am balking at!
When you buy a car off the lot you never know what was done previous to you buying it. A certified pre-owned car will have gotten a pretty extensive check up and they ensure you have at least 50% life in your tires and brakes. A non-certified car will just generally be cleaned, any major items such as recalls taken care of and any safety concerns addressed before it is sold. Whether or not they change the oil, or do other recommended services is dependent on the dealer and their practices.

In general you should always keep all service paperwork for your car and any receipts of things you purchased and installed yourself.

A manufacturer CANNOT void your warranty because you paid an independent third party to do the work or did it yourself. They can void it if you fail to perform the maintenance and the lack of maintenance can be directly attributed to the failure.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've read about people really getting shafted on the cabin air filter change. It's no great mystery--anyone can do it.
Just finding where it is can be a big mystery. Some are near the accelerator pedal, some in the glove compartment, some near the windshield and if caution is not taken, you can bust the tabs that hold the filter in place!
Saw this in a Nissan forum.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Just finding where it is can be a big mystery. Some are near the accelerator pedal, some in the glove compartment, some near the windshield and if caution is not taken, you can bust the tabs that hold the filter in place!
Saw this in a Nissan forum.
Yes.

I think you can get the instructions at Priuschat.com.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If NJGOAT is correct on what this service involves, and I think he is - the price quoted you is IMHO just insane. The only thing that really needs to be done is the oil change, check the engine air filter, depends on how clean or dirty an environment you have been driving in. The cabin air filter will at worst reduce the performance of your heat/aircon -

All this is stuff I very easily DIY. The dealer is wanting to charge you $400 for what I could do before lunch easily on any Saturday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive