Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

I wonder why Toyota agreed to pay a $16 million fine?

And I also wonder why Toyota delayed (for months) revealing defects on their cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
If you loo at any fine companiews often agree to pay the fine. Ford and firestone have done similar things as have others i the pst. In many ways that is why tril lawyers often file suits because they know that many comanies have nsurnace and the insurance agrees to pay to settle;its a cost of trial risk veus settling.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Because people are idiots!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Toyota reported today on the CCN News that there never was an acceleration problem and it was driver error.....

I don't have links to that report....

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I wonder why Toyota agreed to pay a $16 million fine?

And I also wonder why Toyota delayed (for months) revealing defects on their cars?
simply, there were NO defects. its the drivers that are defective

Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Toyota reported today on the CCN News that there never was an acceleration problem and it was driver error.....

I don't have links to that report....
There are event data recorders or EDR's on just about all cars these days so if you were claiming that you stepped on the brakes when in reality you stepped on the gas this event will have been recorded on the EDR..
With the level of incompetence shown by many drivers these days i dont think its too far of a stretch to think that drivers stepping on the gas instead of the brake happens often when considering the millions of drivers out there every day.
i think the problem in Toyotas case is the close together placement of the pedals and not the car taking on a mind of its own,

Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM

211 posts, read 641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With the level of incompetence shown by many drivers these days i dont think its too far of a stretch to think that drivers stepping on the gas instead of the brake happens often when considering the millions of drivers out there every day.
Drivers are not incompetent.
Drivers do not step on the wrong pedal.
There might be 1 million drivers left in the world (if we're lucky).

Let's do ourselves a favor. Let's stop calling clueless halfwits incapable of controlling a vehicle or denied their meeting with natural selection due to safety equipment bloat drivers and let's refer to them correctly - as operators.

Operators view vehicles as something to which they are entitled, and have little to no desire to be bothered with road feedback or attentive driving. The automobile is a place to listen to music, talk on the phone, text, all while the GPS does all the thinking for them.

Drivers, on the other hand, relish the thought of a good drive. A nice road with a variety of curves, elevation changes, and surfaces is a good thing. They understand the rules of the road, use their signals, check their mirrors, and merge into traffic properly. They leave adequate room to brake, they don't use their phones while moving, and they know where they are in relation to their destination almost constantly.

Even if this unintended acceleration WAS caused by faulty vehicles, DRIVERS would have had ZERO issue with stopping the vehicle.

What's ironic is how Mr. LaHood at the NHTSA has recently gone on air in support of anti-texting laws because something like 8,000 people die every year because of texting or using a cell phone while driving, but has yet to announce 7-figure fines to wireless carriers or cell phone manufacturers.

It's funny how they were actually talking to people at NASA to see if inter-planetary alignment might have been to blame for the dozen or so deaths caused by - obvious to any driver - inept vehicle operators, but nearly, 10,000 people die every year because of their cell phones and it's a mere talking point in a mid-morning news soundbite.

Drivers vs. Operators. Citizens vs. Sheep. There is a difference.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
simply, there were NO defects. its the drivers that are defective
If there were no defects, then why did Toyota pay a $16 million fine? And why were recalls issued?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post

Let's do ourselves a favor. Let's stop calling clueless halfwits incapable of controlling a vehicle or denied their meeting with natural selection due to safety equipment bloat drivers and let's refer to them correctly - as operators.

Operators view vehicles as something to which they are entitled, and have little to no desire to be bothered with road feedback or attentive driving. The automobile is a place to listen to music, talk on the phone, text, all while the GPS does all the thinking for them.

Drivers, on the other hand, relish the thought of a good drive. A nice road with a variety of curves, elevation changes, and surfaces is a good thing. They understand the rules of the road, use their signals, check their mirrors, and merge into traffic properly. They leave adequate room to brake, they don't use their phones while moving, and they know where they are in relation to their destination almost constantly.

Even if this unintended acceleration WAS caused by faulty vehicles, DRIVERS would have had ZERO issue with stopping the vehicle.

What's ironic is how Mr. LaHood at the NHTSA has recently gone on air in support of anti-texting laws because something like 8,000 people die every year because of texting or using a cell phone while driving, but has yet to announce 7-figure fines to wireless carriers or cell phone manufacturers.

It's funny how they were actually talking to people at NASA to see if inter-planetary alignment might have been to blame for the dozen or so deaths caused by - obvious to any driver - inept vehicle operators, but nearly, 10,000 people die every year because of their cell phones and it's a mere talking point in a mid-morning news soundbite.

Drivers vs. Operators. Citizens vs. Sheep. There is a difference.
Preach it! So glad there are other people with this observation! Sad thing is... if an operator would read your message they would have no clue what you're talking about. I wish this hit home with more people...

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
I used to be an autocross instructor, and from the passenger seat I would routinely watch (and hear) relatively good drivers - not novices - lift off the gas or hit the wrong pedal and SWEAR up and down that they hadn't. i suggest to you that anyone, in a moment of stress or inattention, can make that mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive