Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,853 times

Advertisements

This is a dumb argument ^^ lol.

Common sense trumps what a road sign says. If everyone is doing 10 mph above the limit, then common sense dictates you follow suit. It has nothing to do with this entitlement claim. Conversely, the person who doesn't conform to what the majority of drivers are doing seems to have the real core issue here. Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Some of you have driving habits that absolutely terrify me. Hey, let's respond to bad behavior by even riskier and worse behavior! Brake checking serves no purpose but to endanger yourself and the other driver more than if they were just tailgating you. I know it's not really provable in court unless there's dash-cam evidence or something, but I occasionally wish (when reading these threads) that if it were provable someone intentionally brake-checked someone else and caused an accident, that THEY would automatically be at fault for the accident.

Sure, I tailgate by accident every now and then, but I back off (unless situations basically make tailgating "normal", if anyone here has ever driven on I-5 in California they'll know what I mean)... but I don't think I can recall a time where someone deliberately may have brake-checked me otherwise- it's not a good idea. Mostly because my 4500lb Xterra would probably "win the fight" with their small car/crossover, but still. You know what I do when I encounter people doing ridiculous stuff while driving? I may make a remark to myself about it or something (which is typically pretty mellow), change lanes, speed up, slow down, or pass... and then forget about it. It makes my life on the road less stressful (~50 or so mile commute to classes Mon-Thurs here, I spend a fair amount of time driving.)

Sheesh... and y'all wonder why some people get road rage.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 AM

927 posts, read 1,458,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I estimate that more than 40 percent of cars tailgate so I find it hard to believe all of the posters here who condone it actually don't tailgate HUH? . Also, people drive way too fast especially in instances where traffic breaks up during a heavy traffic jam. Everyone essentially speeds up to stop a couple hundred feet ahead. Pisses me off. Same thing as people who tailgate you as you try to coast to a red light. Just the other day, I was coming around a bend and there was a long line of cars stopped at a light. I knew it was going to be a hard brake but I applied the brakes moderately to allow as much time for the people behind me. Well, as I'm coming to a stop I hear the unsettling sounds of a car's tires locking up. I thought I was going to get rear-ended but somehow their car came to a halt on the shoulder. Close call most likely caused by tailgating
con·done/kənˈdōn/
Verb:
Accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
Approve or sanction (something), esp. with reluctance.
To condoning it is to accept it ...

Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
An interesting side note, saw a news report today that Texas has now increased the speed limit to 85mph on a 40-mile stretch of road (i forget which one, but it's a toll road that goes between San Antonio and Austin). They are doing this in hopes of getting people who stopped riding the toll road in favor of non-toll roads to go back to the toll road. The officer interviewed said it would be safe as long as people observed rules of the road, including "using the left lane for passing only" then moving right.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
con·done/kənˈdōn/
Verb:
Accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
Approve or sanction (something), esp. with reluctance.
To condoning it is to accept it ...
dohhhhh.. lol I was really tired when I typed that. I swear I'm not that dumb. I meant to say condemn

Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
and they all are breaking the law.

If the speed limit is 65mph and a few decide 75mph is good idea, you will now call them traffic, so you now justify speeding with them, as going with the flow of traffic.
This traffic can be stopped and ticketed while the car going 65mph will not be.

Common sense would tell you to observe the posted speed limit ,to avoid a speeding ticket

Quote:

Common sense trumps what a road sign says. If everyone is doing 10 mph above the limit, then common sense dictates you follow suit. It has nothing to do with this entitlement claim. Conversely, the person who doesn't conform to what the majority of drivers are doing seems to have the real core issue here. Just my 2 cents

Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:

Even if you are doing over 10MPH still there will be "equal" number of tailgaters who would push you to go even faster!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I just ignore them.. a lot of times I don't even realize I'm being tailgated as I'm paying far more attention to what's ahead of me.

If they're being a particular nuisance (and it takes a lot to get my attention), then I'll spray them with windshield wiper fluid.

I remember one time when I was being tailgated and I sped up to tailgate the car ahead. The tailgater ensued. Then I immediately swerved into the adjacent lane without signaling. I heard the screeching of brakes behind me. (Something else to try if you're a bit adventurous.)

Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
Another "fun" thing to do.

You have a tailgater, you see one of those road alligators ( a recap tire that has come apart) then at the last sec move over to miss it.
The tailgater will not be able to react in time.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope, if you're going over the speed limit and you're passing the traffic on the right, there is no reason to increase speed further just because someone behind you is trying to get their speed fix. As I said, those in the left lane ARE making their "best effort" to pass, and they are doing so.
You lost me. I didn't say anything about passing on the right. if the driver in the left lane is not moving faster than the driver in the right lane, then they are not making their best effort to pass. Why is this so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive