Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
That's awesome. In related news, today I was in bumper to bumper traffic and some car came up on my side after the two lanes had already merged into one and then squeezed in right in front of me. I was not too bothered by the incident but then saw another car driving up in my rear view mirror and wondered what the heck was going on. Turned out to be an undercover cop car pulling her over . Love when cops are in the right place at the right time.
Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
First off, tailgaters are self-centered aggresive people who could care less about what thier actions cause. I have so many stories on my experiences with tailgaters. One thing I like to do when I have a car coming up from behind real fast and I just know they are going to tailgate is that I move over really quick and put my blinker on as if I am rushing them to pass me so I can get back into that lane as they are over 50 yards back. This pisses them off real good because they thought they were going to force someone to move (even when I was going 5-10mph over the limit), but now they feel like someone is rushing them to do something. I call it a taste of thier own medicine. Tailgaters are people who cause other normal drivers to create a dangerous situation by creating thier own dangerous situation. They think that body of a car can protect them so they bully people, but I bet most tailgaters would not behave the same way on a sidewalk trying to force someone out of the way because they know a fist will be hitting thier face.
Just the very fact that you react in a negative way makes you just as bad as one of them. In fact, thats grounds for aggressive driving. Thats a stiffer charge then following two close. That also creates road rage.
Why do you feel the need to try to teach a lesson? Who are you to think thats even your job?

So, this is how you deal with a tailgater. Never do anything to try to upset them. You DONT know what their situation may be. Crazy, emotional, running from something, medical emergency, or maybe they are just a tailgater.

Throw out the whole speed limit thing unless you are a on duty cop. They are the only ones to enforce the rules of the road. NOT YOU!

In almost all situations, the best and safest thing, and it gives YOU control of the situation is to just move over and let them pass. If you dont, you know they will most likely wait for a change to pass you on the right and then cut you off. It happens all the time, and is a cause for many accidents.

If you are in the left lane and going with the flow, there really is not much you can do. And thats it. Just ignor them. Dont slow down, dont slam on your brakes, not swerve.

There are some jerks out there who do drive aggressively phishing out people who do respond to their tailgating. Why do you want to play their game?

RazorRob305, you made the comment that the tailgater is one that feels "protected" in their car. By you doing what you do, you also feel the same. I bet you you'd be singing a different tune when that tailgater passes you, stops dead in his tracks and hops out of his car. I bet you run like a little girl. See, you actually created another dangerous situation. You are no better than the tailgaters. I dare you to try that on me someday and lets see the outcome. I bet Ill win :P

Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
^sounds like a tailgater , how dare you challenge me after I challenged you.

No matter the reason tailgating is never justified.

On the highway or 2 lane road. You're not suppose to cross a solid line on your side of the road such as the white line or what some call the fog line.
Doing so is a ticketable offense.
You will see signs that read NO stopping or standing, except in a emergency.
Only if there is a turn out is it safe to pull over.

Many accidents involve cars stopped or on the side of the road going slowly.
People seam to steer towards them as they look at them for some reason.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
^sounds like a tailgater , how dare you challenge me after I challenged you.

No matter the reason tailgating is never justified.

On the highway or 2 lane road. You're not suppose to cross a solid line on your side of the road such as the white line or what some call the fog line.
Doing so is a ticketable offense.
You will see signs that read NO stopping or standing, except in a emergency.
Only if there is a turn out is it safe to pull over.

Many accidents involve cars stopped or on the side of the road going slowly.
People seam to steer towards them as they look at them for some reason.
Im really not one, I just put on my tailgater hat and play it out. I spend a lot of time on the road and see a lot of stuff unfold everyday. I see tailgaters all the time, and never do I see road rage type of things happen until I see the person being tailgated react.

I agree, tailgating is never justified, nor should trying to upset one as well. That is why the best thing to do is either move out of their way or just ignore them (only if thats because the flow of traffic in your lane dictates your speed)

Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
no foul then ,

I hear what ya are say'en.

Or just call the cops and let them keep on tailgating.
The police will respond and go after the aggressive driver.
location and lic # along with a description.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM

simply put, two wrongs don't make a right!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM

What makes you think that tailgating isn't road rage happening? That's exactly what it is. The tailgater is enraged that someone dare go slower than they want to go AND has the gall to be in front of them, and they respond by tailgating.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What makes you think that tailgating isn't road rage happening? That's exactly what it is. The tailgater is enraged that someone dare go slower than they want to go AND has the gall to be in front of them, and they respond by tailgating.
AND WHY DO YOU MAKE IT WORSE???

I would almost bet that the tailgater is even mad. If they are, odd are, YOU are going slower than the flow.

I honestly dont see tailgating as road rage in the happening. When the tailgater aggressively tailgates, starts using gestures, high beams, horn, ect, that's road rage.

Look at it this way, tailgating is just road communication. If one follows far back, you would never think they want to go faster. If they get closer, it gets you thinking. For some reason, YOU think its OK to be a jerk and upset the tailgater. Just ignore or let them by. Then there are no tempers. Who cares what their reason is for wanting or needing to go fast. If it bugs you that bad, go become a cop and bust them all day long. You will quickly learn, that you cant stop it. Someday, the tailgated who pisses off the wrong person is going to get hurt, or even killed. Is it really worth it trying to play cop? I dont think so.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM

blackhemi, you apparently haven't read the entire thread. I've stated that when a tailgater appears, I will pull over as soon as it is safe to do so to let them go on by and pick off the cops up ahead. That doesn't mean that I don't see tailgating and tailgaters for exactly what they are.

But your determined and emphatic defense of someone who is tailgating and expressing road rage in that fashion would seem to indicate that, your disclaimers notwithstanding, you ARE a tailgater.

Tailgating is not an appropriate form of communication - period. It is road rage, pure and simple.

I hope the device mentioned above becomes commonly used by law enforcement around the country.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Im not for the tailgaters, I just cant stand to see so many people, who fuel the fire. More often then not, the person getting tailgated doesnt is distracted or clueless. Unless I'm holding up several cars or I'm going under the speed limit, I would never pull over for a tailgater. Thats silly.

And you couldnt be more wrong on that tailgating is road rage. Tailgating is simply a law thats being broken by following to closely. That is it. Road rage is a person who is angered while driving. Tailgating may be a byproduct of road rage, but it is not road rage. One could easily have road rage with out tailgating.

And really, Im not a tailgater. I have before, but I had my reasons. Its a very rare to see me follow to close or to even have a car next to me. I like having my emergency "outs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive